Isolation

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Isolation

I've heard a few people, on other forums, say that the towns and even cities in NZ are often too isolated for their liking. Do you find that the tiny population and wide open spaces are too much to bear i.e. do you find NZ too isolated and quiet?

Someone commented that NZ would be perfect if it had a population of about 10 million instead of 3-4 million.

tottefan.

Last edited by tottefan; Jun 2nd 2005 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isolation

I think one of the best things about NZ is the small population - it means that you can go to a beautiful beach, mountain or lake on a weekend and have the place to yourself if you like - there are always cities if you like company. In my experience, the proximity of neighbours is inversely proportional to the level of interaction: I've lived in terraced house in UK for years and not even known my neighbours' names, yet in NZ as a kid we were forever invited to neighbours' houses, swimming pools etc, even though the closest ones were several 100 meters away.

Originally Posted by tottefan
I've heard a few people, on other forums, say that the towns and even cities in NZ are often too isolated for their liking. Do you find that the tiny population and wide open spaces are too much to bear i.e. do you find NZ too isolated and quiet?

Someone commented that NZ would be perfect if it had a population of about 10 million instead of 3-4 million.

tottefan.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tottefan

tottefan.
If you live in or near a city or big town, it's not very different to living in the UK

Distances between towns are irrelevant when you don't do the journey very often.

Distance to the nearest country is more of a thought...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Don
If you live in or near a city or big town, it's not very different to living in the UK

Distances between towns are irrelevant when you don't do the journey very often.

Distance to the nearest country is more of a thought...
Yep have to agree. Some town are very isolated, but how often do you travel on to the next town?? Thats why I like where we are as have the opportunity to visit a few places easily reached for a change of scenery and activity. Don's right though - I do miss being able to go to Europe and elsewhere much more readily than you can here. NZ is soooo far away from anywhere. At least Ozzie and Fiji are close by - not too bad a place to tak a holiday hey!!!