Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Introduction and a question

Introduction and a question

Old May 24th 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

jengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant future
Default Introduction and a question

Hi, I'm Jen, my husband Grant and I and our two sons (age 5 and 8) are hoping to move to NZ within the next year or so. He's a cop and is in the process of applying for a job, luckily just before they closed all overseas applications. He was in Auckland in January doing his testing, training and shifts. We're waiting on some test results and a job offer, then all systems go with EOI etc.

In the meantime, I've stupidly incurred a speeding fine going 36mph in a 30 zone and have been presented with the option of paying £85 and taking a speed awareness course, or paying the £60 fine and incurring 3 points on my licence.

I'm inclined to just pay the fine and get the points (my licence is otherwise spotless) but was wondering if it would affect the conversion to NZ licence later.

I guess this is a long-winded way of asking: will points on my licence make a difference when I want to convert to NZ licence later?

(I promise I've Googled and also searched the forums but couldn't find the answer, so I'm sorry if it's been asked before and I missed it!)
Old May 24th 2010, 9:58 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction and a question

Hi Jen welcome to the site so sorry cant answer the points on licence, would have thought it would not make too much of a difference but who knows

Personally I would avoid the points and put up with the course (I think it is one day?) a hassle I know.

Good luck anyway with all your plans in the making the big move

Dewb
Old May 24th 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently staying with a friend in Bracknell (UK) moving to Tauranga at end of July!!!
Kate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to all

Hiya,
I do have points on my licence - although I didn't try to convert my licence when I was there - I drove on my UK one, you do have to let the insurance company know.

If you can I would try and avoid the points and potential extra insurance costs.

I think licence conversion just involves an eye test at the AA centre when you get there.

Welcome btw - hope everything goes smoothly.

Kate
Old May 24th 2010, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi My Husband arrived with point on his UK licence and was not transferred to his new NZ Licence
Have to say 3 point is not bad for some of the idiots that drive over in NZ
But I could open up a can of worms on Driving in NZhmy

Welcome and hope it all goes ok for you you will get lots of help from the site
Old May 24th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

jengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant futurejengrantmorris has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even thought about insurance
Hi My Husband arrived with point on his UK licence and was not transferred to his new NZ Licence
That's good to know ... now I'm wondering if it affected your insurance?
Old May 25th 2010, 1:08 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi No not at all car insurance is quite cheap in NZ fOR Two new 4x4 KIA the total cost of Insurance we have paid was $360 Fully comp with full no claims this also gives us replacment cover for chip or broken windows and I recommend you get this cover.
Also when we have family/friends over from the uK does not cost any more to place them on my insurance. We are with AMI.
Hope this will help
Old May 25th 2010, 5:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum.

Have a good browse around & Happy Postings.

One thing has gotten me a little confused but as everyone knows , I am easily flummoxed.

You say......

He's a cop and is in the process of applying for a job
but NZ Police Service states this among other things........

Originally Posted by NZ Police Force.
We welcome applications from overseas police officers who are currently serving and have a minimum of two years service. To be eligible for employment with NZ Police you must obtain NZ Citizenship or Permanent Residency first.
from HERE
Old May 25th 2010, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Harrogate Girl.

Bevs, he has had to fly out to NZ to complete the recruitment process, then once he has completed everything they provide a provisional job offer which we then submit with our EOI and once we have PR then they provide the actual paperwork. Apparently that's how they used to do it and the provisional offer with a start date is enough to get PR.

The text you've copied and pasted may be an amendment to their site since DH began the process - when he was over in January he was told that he was pretty much the last to squeak in before they closed recruitment to all overseas applicants - I guess unless they have PR first as stated on their site now. He began applying last September when they had different rules. Once they brought out the new rules he was already well into the process. Phew!!

He would have applied sooner but he had to wait for his 2 years of experience, which was September.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

golding2888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jengrantmorris
Hi, I'm Jen, my husband Grant and I and our two sons (age 5 and 8) are hoping to move to NZ within the next year or so. He's a cop and is in the process of applying for a job, luckily just before they closed all overseas applications. He was in Auckland in January doing his testing, training and shifts. We're waiting on some test results and a job offer, then all systems go with EOI etc.

In the meantime, I've stupidly incurred a speeding fine going 36mph in a 30 zone and have been presented with the option of paying £85 and taking a speed awareness course, or paying the £60 fine and incurring 3 points on my licence.

I'm inclined to just pay the fine and get the points (my licence is otherwise spotless) but was wondering if it would affect the conversion to NZ licence later.

I guess this is a long-winded way of asking: will points on my licence make a difference when I want to convert to NZ licence later?

(I promise I've Googled and also searched the forums but couldn't find the answer, so I'm sorry if it's been asked before and I missed it!)
hi jen,
as far as i know..it will not affect ur driving liscence...as they have different points system to us. my partner got caught speeding 2 years ago when we were in NZ. he got a fine and derma points..which means nothing to uk liscence...
Old May 31st 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi everybody..
My partner and i looking to move to NZ. I got accepted in 2005 when they did a recruitment drive in the UK, I got to the final stage where i had to do my fitness and medical and interview in london, but had to cancel it as my mother was very ill at the time.

Now we both ready to make the big step just dont know how to?

anyone know if NZ police will be recruiting again in the UK?

when u apply for EOI, do we pay two sets off fees or just one...for our application form as a couple.

anyone have applied actually out there to nz police and do all the assessment out there?

We due to fly to NZ christchurch on 10th july for our second visit.

Jess
Old May 31st 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

anyone know if NZ police will be recruiting again in the UK?
anyone have applied actually out there to nz police and do all the assessment out there?
They are no longer recruiting here in the UK and if you go over to NZ to apply they will only give you a job offer once you get PR (new rules).

Yesterday DH got a phone call saying he has passed the last test. He asked if a job offer would be forthcoming and they said yes, once they have checked his references. They did say that they are no longer offering jobs without PR but they will offer him one as he was well in process before the rule change *PHEW!*
Old May 31st 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that..so we would have to apply for EOI first and see weather we get accepted or not..then submit the application form for the nz police.

Could you tell me if your hubby had to do their full fitness test or the one they did in the uk..which is 2.4k run, push up etc
Old May 31st 2010, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Could you tell me if your hubby had to do their full fitness test or the one they did in the uk..which is 2.4k run, push up etc
He did the full NZ fitness test as he tested in NZ. Which included the run, push ups etc and also the obstacle course.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:27 am
Just Joined

hi jen..
i spoke to nz police in christchurch and basically at the moment they on accept application if you got residence visa.

did you guys apply through EOI? did you get an advisor to help with the forms?