Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Internet connection and other questions

Internet connection and other questions

Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Question Internet connection and other questions

Hiya,

I'm probably being a bit previous but where is the best place to get an internet connection from, when we get there, just bought a laptop to keep us going while waiting for our container to arrive, nothing is set up on the laptop at the mo, wanted to wait till we got there.

I am not technical at all, just another thing to get myself stressed about till we get there. We will be staying in motels when we get to Nelson for a couple of weeks until my OH gets a job (still can't believe we actually decided to go this route without the jobs, but got fed up of nothing happening - feels right tho!) Anyway, sorry I often get sidetracked - we also have our savings still in an account here, I'm currently in contact with Moneycorp and we are waiting (hoping) for the dollar to go up a little before we transfer all our funds. What does this entail is this an easy process, and is it quite straightforward, worrying that I won't be able to get any money out of the bank when we get there.

We were thinking of bringing some with us as obviously we need money for when we get there for accommodation etc but don't want to be carrying a load of money with us. Any ideas.

Bought a couple of adaptor plugs yesterday, on the back of the plug it states that it is for NZ, but my cousin who has travelled around Aus and NZ a couple of times thought the adaptors had three flat pins - the ones I have bought have two. (told you I was starting to flap).

Its all the little things that need tying up before we leave, we are having our leaving party in 3 weeks.

I am really exited though, even if it doesn't sound like we are, just the flights to get over with two children 3 and 8, dreading it!!!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:18 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet connection and other questions

Probably best to get a cheap, no contract dial-up until you get yourself sorted, usually $10 or less.

You could pop into somewhere like the Warehouse or Dick Smiths and pick up an disk for an ISP like Kiwi on line (KOL)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:25 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet connection and other questions

P.S. The two pin adapters probably don't have an earth pin. May be best to find a few three pins if you can. Having said that you can buy them in NZ - Dick Smiths & The Warehouse (again!) DIY stores, electrical goods stores etc.

Cash? we brought a good few hundred $s in mix of cash and travellers cheques and just divided it up between us. What we didn't use within the first few days (travellers cheques) we paid into our bank account.