Internet Access

Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet Access

Can anyone explain how to access the internet when you initially arrive at NZ. I'm with AOL dial up, if I continue payments in UK can I access just as I do now.
Boopy
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access

Answer, no.

The most popular isp in NZ is derived from the national telecom system known as Telecom.

xtra is their internet arm and with various different plans to suit an individuals needs.

There are other isp’s, ihug, sligshot, kiwionline etc but as far as AOL is concerned I am pretty sure no……….unless others can correct me.

Check out www.xtra.co.nz
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in thinking that when abroad even for a holiday, I can use an internet cafe and just access my e mails until I get signed up to a provider.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:02 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Boopy
Am I right in thinking that when abroad even for a holiday, I can use an internet cafe and just access my e mails until I get signed up to a provider.
if you have a plain old AOL account without webmail then no. you will need something like a hotmail account to do that.

go here www.hotmail.com

or mail.yahoo.com

or there are countless others - gmail is good but is by invitation only.... i can send you an invite if you let me know your email address

Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone explain how to access the internet when you initially arrive at NZ. I'm with AOL dial up, if I continue payments in UK can I access just as I do now.
Boopy
have a look here:
http://intlaccess.web.aol.com/cgi/Se...rd=&Button=+N+

There are dialup numbers for AOL in NZ. I'd use the opportunity to change to a decent ISP though
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
have a look here:
http://intlaccess.web.aol.com/cgi/Se...rd=&Button=+N+

There are dialup numbers for AOL in NZ. I'd use the opportunity to change to a decent ISP though
Thanks for that. Once over there I will be asking advice on which providers to use. Once in NZ until I get connected can I use an internet cafe - do they have them & how does it work.
I've seen people using their laptops on the plane, can they access internet while flying.
Sorry to sound abit thick - I'm not really into IT.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Once over there I will be asking advice on which providers to use. Once in NZ until I get connected can I use an internet cafe - do they have them & how does it work.
I've seen people using their laptops on the plane, can they access internet while flying.
we had webmail with btyahoo in uk so were able to access our email thro internet cafes initially - lots of them everywhere and reasonable price - $1 for 30mins i think
we brought our laptop with us as handluggage and then picked up a cdrom for xtra dial up (free) -available from any of the main electrical stores - we set up a limbo account with them while we were in temp accommodation and it cost us $16.95 / mth unlimited access, I think there was an inital connection fee of $27.95
Once we got into rented we registered for xtra broadband - $44.95 / mth for 1gb cap at 1mb speed ($99 connection fee) - been pretty reliable and when we moved house they moved it dead easy - we bought our UK adsl modem with us and it was easy to change the settings to get it to work here (and I'm no tecchie) - saved me $99
Vicki
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:30 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's easy peasy getting on the net from intenet cafes (There are loads of them), just type in your favourite server into the search bar and voila. You pay a couple of dollars per half hour in the cafes. Also libraries have internet access but you may have to join to use their pcs.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Hi Boopy,
Use a different ISP when you get there, preferably one that doesn't require payment. Most ISP providers have webmail these days but just sign up for hotmail as well (also free).
You can access the internet on the plane, just get a laptop with a wireless connection. You can let us know where you are when you fly out then!
Mark
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can let us know where you are when you fly out then!
Mark[/QUOTE]

It would be great to be able to do that.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Boopy,
Seems to me a good way for you to check if you can get email/banking etc in an internet cafe, would be for you to pop down to your local library or net cafe nearby and give it a go!

Why not test the theory where you live now rather than waiting until you are stressed and in an another country. If you aren't able to do the things you want to do in your local net cafe in the UK, at least you can have a good go at figuring it all out before you leave!

You should be able to access your AOL email from their webpage on any computer. If not, then you may as well join up with a yahoo address now and get used to using it. The email address is free, and your email accessible from their homepage, you just need to access the net by AOL on your home pc or at your local library or net cafe.

As for local ISPs, you can go with the two big ones in NZ - xtra.co.nz (through Telecom) or clear.net.nz (through Telstra Clear). There are also local ones to choose from, just look up the yellow pages when you get here. At this point you can choose whether to use an email address with your new ISP, or to keep using an AOL email address or a Yahoo email address.

We have been in NZ for a while now, and still use our yahoo address and get our net access through our local ISP, Snap.net.nz.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused you further,
Apple.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Apple, for that bit of common sense. Sometimes your can't see the wood for the trees, and just don't think of the obvious. I will give it a try at an internet cafe.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:45 am
livewire

Boopy I used my AOL account for a short while after I got here. I just downloaded the phone number for NZ before I left. This was back in mid 2004 and every time I accessed AOL on that number in NZ I was charged 5 pounds per session. Very expensive but I didn't fancy finding an internet cafe every time I wanted to use the net .

Once we'd got through the last few emails and stuff that we'd wanted we closed down the account and went over to a local ISP.

If you're keeping on AOL just to retrieve the odd email that's slipping through you'd be better off accessing it either through an internet cafe or through a dial up account which starts at around $9.99 a month.