Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

International credit checks??

International credit checks??

Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:30 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default International credit checks??

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has the answer to this question.

When my husband and I arrived back in the UK after several years overseas we were advised when looking to rent that because our previous address was international, landlords might ask for six months rent in advance.

I'm wondering what the situation will be in NZ with renting. Will they just run credit checks in the UK (if that's possible?) or is it likely we'd have to pay for at least six months in advance there? We hope to rent a place on our arrival for 6 weeks to give ourselves time to conduct interviews and sort out housing. Would this 6 weeks we've accumlated act as proof of our ability to pay rent on time??

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:01 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International credit checks??

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has the answer to this question.

When my husband and I arrived back in the UK after several years overseas we were advised when looking to rent that because our previous address was international, landlords might ask for six months rent in advance.

I'm wondering what the situation will be in NZ with renting. Will they just run credit checks in the UK (if that's possible?) or is it likely we'd have to pay for at least six months in advance there? We hope to rent a place on our arrival for 6 weeks to give ourselves time to conduct interviews and sort out housing. Would this 6 weeks we've accumlated act as proof of our ability to pay rent on time??

Thanks!
We asked a mortgage guy in NZ the same question and were told a lot of places are rented by the week which we thought was good cos if we don't like it we can move on!! Having to wait 2-3 months for the container to arrive should give us time to move about and rent whilst we see what different areas are like before we decide to buy and settle. He didn't say anything about 6 month deposit. but I do know that any deposit isn't held by the landlord personally.
Soz, pretty crap answer really!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find one of the good things about NZ is that institutions aren't obsessed about previous addresses, credit checks, postcodes etc etc. We didn't have to pay any extra bond when we rented on arrival, and neither has my friend who's just come over. So if you get asked for 6 months, 3 months etc then just say no.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:33 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks people. Just wanted to put a budget together, and gauge an idea on how 'strict' these people are.