Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Insuring For Family Emergencies

Insuring For Family Emergencies

Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Insuring For Family Emergencies

I just wondered if anyone used these http://www.kinsure.co.uk as insurance for anything happening to a loved one back in the UK? For an annual premium they cover and arrange your flights and accommodation back if needs be. Or do you think an emergency fund of your own is a better plan?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring For Family Emergencies

Did you see This thread

Last edited by ann m; Apr 17th 2009 at 1:28 am.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:40 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a policy with these guys. Figured we were spending so much at the time what the hell..a little more money on an insurance policy wasn't going to make any difference.

I remember at the time, posting a similar question myself but don't recall any particular advice being posted back. We went ahead anyway.

We have luckily not had to try and use this yet so I couldn't say much more about it. I did wonder whether they were even still operating in this climate?

Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by ann m
Did you see This thread
Thank you Ann - OMG how awful?

I'm still unsure as to whether it's worth it or better off having a "rainy day/crises" fund of our own?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Tan0410
We have a policy with these guys. Figured we were spending so much at the time what the hell..a little more money on an insurance policy wasn't going to make any difference.

I remember at the time, posting a similar question myself but don't recall any particular advice being posted back. We went ahead anyway.

We have luckily not had to try and use this yet so I couldn't say much more about it. I did wonder whether they were even still operating in this climate?

Well, it seems the website is still up and running and someone on the other thread that ann m linked to uses them so I assume so. Just not sure if it's the best solution?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:57 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens I had to contact the company last night....emailed at 6pm and had a response waiting for me when I got up this morning so they are clearly still operating.

My brother-in-law is about to have a major back opeartion so I thought I'd ask whether this was covered if my husband decided to go back. We expected the response we got - that with the info we gave them (which was limited) this kind of organised operation did not class as a major illness.

The email encouraged us to give them a call to discuss further and give them more details. Whilst we were realistic about our request I have asked for further info as to what constitutes a major illness and associated operations just for reference to be honest.

Thinking about the question as to whether you should have your own savings pot or a policy.... for us all our cash was tied up in the UK house equity so we took the policy as a stop gap to building up savings over here. However, I do think I will renew this year. When you consider the cost of flying a family of four back (and all the associated costs) I can't help but think that 175 pound a year is worth it. Especially given that they claim to organise it all for you as well.

Don't forget that once parents pass the age of 75 they cannot be covered by this policy anyway. You may well benefit from stashing money to fly back later. God forbid you have to fly back twice, but the way I see it why spend all your savings when you can pay nothing and keep your savings. For me...with two parents...I worry that I'd spend all my savings going back once and then having nothing to get back with god forbid the other was taken ill too. Sadly, it's a fact that they will both pass on at some point. My concern is one going before 75, spending all our savings, and then the other passing on too...but when it's too late to use such a policy. Maybe I worry tooo much

Once the annual policy is paid you quickly forget about the cost.

Just my opinion as I appreciate that 175 pound is a lot in many respects.

I'm rambling now so I'm off.....
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

I second what Tan 0410 says. IMO 175 quid is easier to find right now than $10000 - 12000. Its something we have looked into as well. It would take us forever to save enough to send 4 adults back in an emergency. Hubby had to go back in October for his fathers funeral and that cost $3000 just for his flight. The thought of the insurance company doing all the organising too has got to be a comfort, especially when you think that it is probably the last thing on your mind when you need to get back to see a loved one. We will once again seriously look at using this company (hubby wanted to wait till we got PR so we knew we were staying).
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:14 am

Am currently in the process of getting clarity from the company regarding one of their definitions. They have (fairly I believe) stated that an organised back operation is not a major illness or emergency, although it is a little confusing as they also state that a major accident or illness is a hospital stay of 3 days or more. My brother-in-law will be in for five days . Now I do not take issue with their decision in this case as we figured this would be the case before we even emailed to ask....

....what I am confused about now is whether you would have to wait three days (in other situations) before you flew back in order to guarantee that you can meet their definition of a serious illness or accident. This worries me in some respects as given the distance I'd be nervous about sitting around for three days before flying.

The company do however have excellent communication so I will let you know when I get some clarity
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:43 pm

In response to your question if there is a claim we immediately phone the hospital and ascertain what the situation is. If the relative is going to be in hospital for more than 3 days we then can arrange immediate flights. As an example of this last year we had a claim on Christmas day and flew a family to the USA on boxing day.
Again, excellent communication...this was there response. I personally feel we probably will renew the policy this year.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:28 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

WOW
Excellent Thread!
Anyone else has had to use them?? If so, sorry about that, but could you share your experiences??
Soon to move to Auckland and really thinking about this!
Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:42 pm

I have been trying since mid 2007 to find someone who has had to claim through this, or a similar policy, and have had no joy

...is there anyone out there
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:18 am

I'd managed to miss the bit about relatives over 75 years not being covered - which probably means it's not worth it for us as both my parents are older than this. I shall go back and have a re-read to make sure.

Tan you could ask in the Oz or USA forums if anyone has actually claimed through them - much higher user numbers.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:26 am
Just Joined

jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough

I've just taken out this policy. Is recommended by Britsnz. Read their info on www.britsnz.co.nz. You can also get a discount on the premium.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:58 pm

That is the kinsure one that we've got

...so be aware of the age stipulation
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'd managed to miss the bit about relatives over 75 years not being covered -
We budgeted for an emergency fund before we left the UK. Please don't anyone think we just had this money floating around. We didn't. It was factored in as part of our immigration costs if you like.

Of course, as a lot of you know, I have just used up all this emergency fund , so we now have to rebuild it in case of another emergency. If an emergency does arise - husbands 80 yr old Mother - then we will just have to hit the bank or the credit card.

Am Loo. Our surviving parents were both over 75 and it also doesn't cover you for pre-existing conditions, so we figured we were better off to just bite the bullet and make sure we had this money tucked away.

Kinsure

Originally Posted by kinsure
* A close relative is defined as: your mother, mother-in-law, father, father-in-law, stepmother, stepfather, daughter, daughter-in-law, son, son-in-law, (including legally adopted daughter or son), stepchild, sister, sister-in-law, brother, brother-in-law, grandfather, grandmother, granddaughter, grandson, ex husband, ex wife and if applicable their dependants under 18 years of age (in full-time education and residing with them). You can also get cover for more distant relations, close friends or business associates, but this is an addition to the policy and incurs an extra cost.
* The maximum age of your Close Relative is 75.
* You are not covered for pre-existing medical conditions. These are defined as any medical condition which has required a medical consultation during the last two years.
* You are not covered for any illness claim arising within the first three months after the commencement of the Period of Insurance. This three month period does not apply if you renew your Kinsure cover.
* There are also exclusions for injuries and deaths caused during some dangerous sports and leisure pursuits, and for self-injury (see the full terms and conditions).
* Please note that Kinsure is not intended as a replacement for travel insurance when you are on holiday overseas.
* You are covered for a maximum of ₤5,000 in total over the Period of Insurance. You can claim for up to three return trips during the Period of Insurance.

Kinsure policy limits and excesses are:

* Emergency Transfer - up to a maximum of £5,000
* Additional Accommodation - up to £100 per night up to maximum of £1,000, subject to £50 excess per Insured Person per Insured Event
* Public Transport and Taxi fares:

1. Individual: travel costs up to maximum of £1,000, £ 50 excess
2. Couple: travel costs up to maximum of £2,000, £100 excess
3. Family: travel costs up to maximum of £4,000, £200 excess

* Return of the Deceased Body - travel costs up to maximum of £2,000, £200 excess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.