Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Installing DVS / HRV

Installing DVS / HRV

Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Installing DVS / HRV

We have a heat pump already and we are thinking of installing either a DVS or HRV system to spread the heat around the house. Can anyone recommend a company / installer in the Auckland area.

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:38 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installing DVS / HRV

DIY.

If you have a inckling of DIY then go to Mitre 10 mega and buy a Weiss system and install it yourself, i fitted one in or house, and it took me 2 hrs, 2 outlet and now we have no condensation and i saved over $1k and being down in Dunedin and having a tiled roof i could not get the salesman to answer my question about having a cols roof space and i did not want cold air blowing around the house, i have fitted a small heat unit than kicks in when the air in roof is colder than house, but if you have a tin roof with building paper then a HRV would bring heat down from there,but most of the systems do not do heat transfer, you can get a Weiss heat transfer kit , or if you have condensation then DIY a Weiss kit and it will do all the air changes you require to disrupt the dew point, ours does push the heat around as well and pushes it down from ceilings.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to understand that HRV/DVS doesn't spread heat around your house, it pumps cold air from your loft into your house. Because this creates a draft out of your windows, it will stop condensation forming. If you want to spread heat around, get a heat transfer kit installed (or DIY) as Foofer says. If you're missing double-glazing salesmen and want to experience hard salesmanship mixed with some extremely bad science, give HRV a ring and ask them to come round and tell you about their products. If you want a true Heat Recovery Ventilation system, check out http://cleanaire.co.nz/, but be aware that this will cost you around $6k
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think you need to understand that HRV/DVS doesn't spread heat around your house, it pumps cold air from your loft into your house. Because this creates a draft out of your windows, it will stop condensation forming. If you want to spread heat around, get a heat transfer kit installed (or DIY) as Foofer says. If you're missing double-glazing salesmen and want to experience hard salesmanship mixed with some extremely bad science, give HRV a ring and ask them to come round and tell you about their products. If you want a true Heat Recovery Ventilation system, check out http://cleanaire.co.nz/, but be aware that this will cost you around $6k
Thanks that points me in the right direction. Thanks once again