Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Information about christchurch areas please!!!

Information about christchurch areas please!!!

Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Information about christchurch areas please!!!

Hi i am just about to have a interview with a printing company in Christchurch if all goes well we will be looking to come to NZ asap.The company is in Sydenham area ( Heathcote ) could you please let me know what it is like and where the best places around that area would be to live for a family with 3 children two quite young.

Many thanks for all you help.

Also nearly forgot my wife want to know is there any snakes and spiders like in Aus.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:03 pm
pompeymike

Default Re: Information about christchurch areas please!!!

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
Hi i am just about to have a interview with a printing company in Christchurch if all goes well we will be looking to come to NZ asap.The company is in Sydenham area ( Heathcote ) could you please let me know what it is like and where the best places around that area would be to live for a family with 3 children two quite young.

Also nearly forgot my wife want to know is there any snakes and spiders like in Aus.
It doesn't matter where you live in Christchurch, it'll only take you 20 minutes to get into work. We live in the North-Western suburbs and my wife works in Sydenham; she starts work at 8.00am and leaves for work at 7.40am. Christchurch is easy to get around - even in the rush hour.

Mike

Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pompeymike
It doesn't matter where you live in Christchurch, it'll only take you 20 minutes to get into work. We live in the North-Western suburbs and my wife works in Sydenham; she starts work at 8.00am and leaves for work at 7.40am. Christchurch is easy to get around - even in the rush hour.

Mike
Thanks for the reply what areas would you recommend to be looking in if we do come over?
also the wife really wants to know if there are any really deadly wild life out there.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply what areas would you recommend to be looking in if we do come over?
also the wife really wants to know if there are any really deadly wild life out there.
Budget not a problem, have a lot of pounds to bring over: cashmere (up on the hill; close to your work), Governer's bay (over the hill), merivale (snobby big doctors houses), Sumner (sea views), ilam (close to uni)
Nice living on the flat, not so expensive: Beckenham, Spreydon (close to your work), Avon (big houses by the river), Lyttleton (the harbour over the hill)
Cheaper yet: Sydenham/Somerfield (close to town, bargains to be had),
try not too: Linwood, hei hei, hoon hay, new brighton.

I have a definite leaning for living under the hills, Beckenham etc, it is just lovely round there. Can't afford to live on the hill in Cashmere.

No deadly wildlife. I saw a katipo spider once in my life. The NZ wildlife tends to be eaten/killed by the imports rather than doing the killing!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:20 pm

NZ_BOUND will become famous soon enoughNZ_BOUND will become famous soon enough

Hi there!
Not sure about your area question but we have read up quite a bit on the snakes and spiders (my wife had the same fears as yours) and we have found that there isn't many nasty spiders waiting on your arrival into NZ at all (particularly compared to Australia). The only text I've found is:

New Zealand is home to about 2500 kinds of spiders, most of them harmless to people. Only some spiders are capable of biting humans. There are three species of spiders in New Zealand that should be avoided - the Katipo, the Redback and the White-tailed Spider.

The katipo (Latrodectus katipo) and the redback spider (Latrodectus hasselti) belong to belong to the same genus as the American black widow spider. These two are the only venomous spiders found in New Zealand. In both species it is the adult females that are capable of biting humans. Bites from both species are extremely rare and there is a safe and effective antivenom for both redback and katipo bites.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:07 pm
pompeymike

A lot of Brits live in the Burnside area (north-west), mainly because there's an excellent secondary school there http://www.burnside.school.nz/ but houses are quite expensive.

There's no deadly wildlife here. The only potentially harmful spider that we see a lot of is the White tail, there's plenty of myths about these spiders being deadly but they're not aggressive and I've not heard of anyone being bitten by one. Apart from that, you get the odd person eaten by a shark now and then. Hope this helps :scared:

Mike

Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:30 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
Just to clarify things where exactly is the company your hoping to be working for? A slight distance between Sydenham & Heathcote so a little confused by that one. If sucessful though I would consider Beckenham, St Martins, Mt Pleasant, Redcliffs or Sumner.
Have a son who works for a printing company on that side of town so kind of interested to know the name of the company you have applied for?

Hope this helps a little.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi!
Just to clarify things where exactly is the company your hoping to be working for? A slight distance between Sydenham & Heathcote so a little confused by that one. If sucessful though I would consider Beckenham, St Martins, Mt Pleasant, Redcliffs or Sumner.
Have a son who works for a printing company on that side of town so kind of interested to know the name of the company you have applied for?

I don't know if you've found it already, but this sites quite useful for Christchurch

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi!

Hi
My name is Helen, (Jons wife).
The company is Wyatt & Wilson and we are hoping for a job offer this week.
Is this the same company as your son works for. If so does he enjoy working for them?

we really want to move to New Zealand it would be so good for the kids and us so really praying he gets the job.If your son works for another company does he no anything about Wyatt & Wilson?

Look forward to your reply

Helen
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:03 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My name is Helen, (Jons wife).
The company is Wyatt & Wilson and we are hoping for a job offer this week.
Is this the same company as your son works for. If so does he enjoy working for them?

we really want to move to New Zealand it would be so good for the kids and us so really praying he gets the job.If your son works for another company does he no anything about Wyatt & Wilson?

Look forward to your reply

Helen
Hi Helen
No thats not the same company that my son works for but its just up the road from where he works & one of his friends worked there for several years before moving to OZ & he really enjoyed working for them. Im sure if he gets the job he will enjoy working for them, they do have a really good name in CHCH. Goodluck.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by planty
I don't know if you've found it already, but this sites quite useful for Christchurch

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/

Thanks Planty

Will look at that now.

Do you no if people who are waiting to move to NZ have meets as we would really like to meet up with people in the same position as us?

Cheers
Helen
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen
No thats not the same company that my son works for but its just up the road from where he works & one of his friends worked there for several years before moving to OZ & he really enjoyed working for them. Im sure if he gets the job he will enjoy working for them, they do have a really good name in CHCH. Goodluck.

Cheers
Shepslady

Thanks Shepslady

Thats really good to hear, fingers crossed we will get good news on job front.

Helen