Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Info on shipping and costs for those making plans

Info on shipping and costs for those making plans

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Info on shipping and costs for those making plans

Hi

I've been fairly quiet of late as sooo busy with the last minute stuff

Our shipping container is coming on Fri 30th Oct. We have opted for Pickfords in the end and managed to get them down to £3500 plus insurance via Letton Percival. Some are paying less than this but our access is pretty awful and they will be carrying all the stuff up a flight of 20 steps to get to the container.

We are having a sole use 20' general purpose container and I have packed the majority of the boxes myself. They are only export packing the furniture!

When you pack yourself, you are unable to claim for any breakages...pretty obvious.....and the boxes are marked by the removers that the boxes were packed by owner. Apparently more chance of them being inspected by MAF this way.

With regard to the Marine Insurance side of it. Of course you can take the risk and not bother to insure at all. Just be mindful that if the container was to sink or be stranded. If you have no insurance, you do have to pay some costs for the salvage of the container. I don't think it is a massive amount but something else to think about.

Quotes were Anglo Pacific (£3846)
Pickfords £3880 or £3680 if not sole use
Brittania Lanes £4500
Purias Impact £3345

The last one, the lady was lovely and it was a good price but it was quoted without them coming and I had never heard of them. You have to hand your money over in full before the stuff is shipped so it is scary.

As I said, we have plumbed for Pickfords. Because I have packed so many boxes already they are actually going to come tomorrow and pick up stuff ready to go now at no extra cost. It should give us a bit more room around the house.

Good Luck to all
x
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:05 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Info on shipping and costs for those making plans

Wow! Thanks for the info Numpty! Think if we make it over then that's a decision made for us - our motley collection of Ikea specials and second hand beg/stolen/borrowed miscellania should be suitably short of value to convince us to just to use the shipping wonga to set ourselves up with some new (second hand) gear. The only things we have of any value which desperately need to come along should be able to be crammed in a single tea-chest and lobbed on a passing boat for a couple of hundred squiddles!