Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

info on shipment of tools etc

info on shipment of tools etc

Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

scottishlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info on shipment of tools etc

Hi all, I have been offered a job in Christchurch and basically start as soon as possible depending on medical and visa times.

I will be heading over hopefully in march. so being a joiner/carpenter what is the best way of getting my tools over?

I spoke to someone from an agency a while back and they said something about a 100kg allowance on the flight, is that something that's been done before? Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: info on shipment of tools etc

Congratulations on the job!

As for the tools, firstly you will need to clean them extremely well.

To get them over: shipping will take around 3mth.
I don't know about taking them on the plane but I'd be interested in which airline gives you a 100kg allowance! Normal is 23-30kg though some might double that if you're emigrating.
You can pay for excess baggage and to air freight them, I have no idea of cost. Likely to be pricey!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

my partner is a carpenter and we did two things to get his tools over (Sept-13)

Hand tool: We packed up and a courier sent over for us, I think the cost was about £190 and they took about 2 weeks to arrive. This was only a small suitcase size of tools, heavy but not big volume wise.

Bigger tools (Festel stuff/Chopsaws)
We packed these in our shipping and this took 3 months by boat to get here.

As mention you will need to clean them all, although the shipping stuff I believe also got spayed on the boat (not 100% sure).

I believe the electrical stuff is also Ok to bring, from memory this is a question we asked and he sent all his drills so must be OK

we did do our research on shipping but maybe not enough as we got a little stung on costs when they arrived, we had to pay an additional £800 for incoming shipping and clearance costs so make sure you know what your paying for each side. This was an oversite on our side as we had so much else to get on with at the time.

sam
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Congratulations on the job!

As for the tools, firstly you will need to clean them extremely well.

To get them over: shipping will take around 3mth.
I don't know about taking them on the plane but I'd be interested in which airline gives you a 100kg allowance! Normal is 23-30kg though some might double that if you're emigrating.
You can pay for excess baggage and to air freight them, I have no idea of cost. Likely to be pricey!
Thanks mate, the 100kg allowance was through another agency who offered me work and said they have a deal in place which would allow this, would be handy!

don't think I will ship them over as would be quite pricey id imagine? don't know if it would be worth it as it would only be tools id be shipping, nothing else.

Would it be worth taking all small tools and maybe buying the rest when over there? thanks again
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by samboka1975
Hi

my partner is a carpenter and we did two things to get his tools over (Sept-13)

Hand tool: We packed up and a courier sent over for us, I think the cost was about £190 and they took about 2 weeks to arrive. This was only a small suitcase size of tools, heavy but not big volume wise.

Bigger tools (Festel stuff/Chopsaws)
We packed these in our shipping and this took 3 months by boat to get here.

As mention you will need to clean them all, although the shipping stuff I believe also got spayed on the boat (not 100% sure).

I believe the electrical stuff is also Ok to bring, from memory this is a question we asked and he sent all his drills so must be OK

we did do our research on shipping but maybe not enough as we got a little stung on costs when they arrived, we had to pay an additional £800 for incoming shipping and clearance costs so make sure you know what your paying for each side. This was an oversite on our side as we had so much else to get on with at the time.

sam
Thanks Sam,

I think I will look into the courier for all my smaller and more basic tools. is there a specific courier I should use?

Yeah I will be taking my drills as well, they are my pride and joy lol! if push comes to shove I could buy a charger over there for them with the correct plug etc.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottishlad
Thanks mate, the 100kg allowance was through another agency who offered me work and said they have a deal in place which would allow this, would be handy!

don't think I will ship them over as would be quite pricey id imagine? don't know if it would be worth it as it would only be tools id be shipping, nothing else.

Would it be worth taking all small tools and maybe buying the rest when over there? thanks again
no mate tools are about same price, in nz as they are in uk, I have just come back after three weeks in nz had a look in mitre ten, bit like b&q
a good nail gun is about $2,500 it would be cheaper to send them over there are removles who just send boxes hope this helps
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by samboka1975

we did do our research on shipping but maybe not enough as we got a little stung on costs when they arrived, we had to pay an additional £800 for incoming shipping and clearance costs so make sure you know what your paying for each side.

sam

? Why did you get stung. ?

When we brought over all my OH's tools plus some more there was no extra charges. Believe me , there was a good deal of quality stiff you don't get here.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scottishlad
Really?

Who. That is quite some excess weight for air freight
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

that's nearly 16 stone are you sure????
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
? Why did you get stung. ?

When we brought over all my OH's tools plus some more there was no extra charges. Believe me , there was a good deal of quality stiff you don't get here.
Hi
it wasn't just the tools, we had all our home stuff too. When we booked shipping in the UK we paid and asked if these plus clearance were the only charges and they said yes.. we knew we would have clearance and the NZ agency we dealt with were wonderful but we were contacted by a freight company in NZ and told as it was in there container we had to pay £650 charges, if we didn't we would get our goods, I was 7 months pregnant at the time and all the baby stuff was in there so we paid... the UK shipping agent didn't help us at all.

sam
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really?

Who. That is quite some excess weight for air freight
That's what the woman from the agency said anyway, didn't go into too many details with her as I decided not to go with them. One World Resourcing was the name of the company.

Maybe I picked her up wrong but pretty sure that's what she said.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving out there with my family soon as a carpenter and joiner. I'm just bringing basic tools to start with and sending bigger stuff through with our furniture. PSS is the removals firm we're going with I don't know if you maybe should try them but that's who we are going with
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

dannyc2thab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Would it be worthwhile taking a few basic hand tools & 18v drill in luggage rather than buying them in NZ?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
I'm moving out there with my family soon as a carpenter and joiner. I'm just bringing basic tools to start with and sending bigger stuff through with our furniture. PSS is the removals firm we're going with I don't know if you maybe should try them but that's who we are going with
We're going with that company (PSS), they've been brilliant with me so far.

My OH is an engineer and has *millions* of ruddy tools!! He's saving the stuff he knows he'll use immediately and packing the rest away. He's been told to clean them all though so I think the number of tools being saved may decrease again

...we're also not taking furniture as we don't really have any in the UK. We've both lived in furnished accommodation for years, so 40% of our quote was based on his tools...
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

On the same subject of tool's, Is there any specific oil or chemical they need to be cleaned with, at the moment i'm looking at hiring a steam cleaner to do them but after that will I need to wipe them over with anything??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.