Immigrating to NZ

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigrating to NZ

Good Afternoon,

Well here goes. I am looking for some realistic opions on my situation regarding Immigrating to NZ.
I am currently living in the UK and british born and lived here my full life of 36 years.
Im currently 36 married with no children or dependants.
Im employed as Heavy machine operator in the uk which means I am Class 1 hgv driver can drive all types. loaders, Flats, curtains and car transporters. Mobile Crane operator, Slinger banksman and can operate most machines.
About 1 year ago me and my wife went through rough patch. i moved out the house and sold and gave away all our furniture and everything in the house.
i got back with my wife 6 months ago and our current situation is living in a house share with absolutely nothing to lose.
Iv always wanted to immigrate but was in the Army for 13 years and always felt tied down with animals and belongs.
Anyways I was just trying paint a picture of my current situation.
I have been offered the same type of job in NZ with a 2 year working visa with the job.
The job is based 20 mile from Auckland.
the salary will be minimum 55k to comply with the working vias regs.
Will I be able to apply for permanent residency after the 2 years?
what are the chances of gaining PR after the 2 years?
would 60k a year and my partner working and making 40k be enough to live on in NZ near Auckland?
what are your thoughts about jumping on a plane with a bag of clothes with nothing to lose and starting a new life in NZ? Am I day dreaming?
My plan is to go into a house or flat share for 6 months to get on my feet and my bearings in NZ amd go from there.
Is this achievable?

thanks for the replys in advance
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to NZ

Based on what you have written, I would say go for it.

The hardest part is the job offer, which you already have ticked.

$55k is tough, $100k per year would definitely not be flash but you should find something. It beats a house-share anyways.

With nothing else tying you down in the UK - why not do this?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats my exact thoughts aswell.
I got absolutely nothing to lose.
I would go in a house or flat share on arrival sort my bearings out and see whats what.
Travel around local areas find where I can afford to live and rent a flat on more permanent basis and go from there.
Im just trying to get an idea on salaries that I would need to live off.
I know what im asking is like a neddle in hay stack when comparasing and I know I cant really compare it to the UK.
I see flats and 1 bedroom houses going for 250 dollars a week.
What is the rough cost of utility bills in NZ?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Utilities can vary - however I think the steps you've outlined are a very sensible way to go about this.

The salary you've been offered is low and you will not by any means live a flash lifestyle. NZ though is a place where networks matter - the known candidate is better than the unknown candidate, even if the unknown candidate seems to have a higher ceiling - so if you're any good and are a stable, low-maintenance personality, you will continually be in work and can work your way up to higher-paying roles. The hardest part is breaking in which you've now already done.

Others in Auckland will hopefully chime in but something like an Airbnb or short-term rental while you sort out the neighbourhoods etc on arrival is a good plan.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Well thats my exact thoughts aswell.
I got absolutely nothing to lose.
I would go in a house or flat share on arrival sort my bearings out and see whats what.
Travel around local areas find where I can afford to live and rent a flat on more permanent basis and go from there.
Im just trying to get an idea on salaries that I would need to live off.
I know what im asking is like a neddle in hay stack when comparasing and I know I cant really compare it to the UK.
I see flats and 1 bedroom houses going for 250 dollars a week.
What is the rough cost of utility bills in NZ?
This may help. You can place in your browser and start to narrow things down by being city specific.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ry=New+Zealand
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The grass isn't always greener but you have nowt to lose and if you like it here, everyone to gain.
where is the work, a 20 mile radius of aux covers a huge spectrum of suburbs and affordability
Old Jun 4th 2018, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

The job is based in Papakura.
but will be travelling through out NZ on different construction sites.
I know the grass maybe not be greener on the other side. Im worried if I dont give it a go now im always going regret it and think why didnt I try it.
The thing thats pushing me at minute is iv got nothing to lose at all and I know if I buy another house here Im going be trapped for years and will never do it.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on Trademe and realestate.nz for rentals or flatmates wanted. If you are coming on your own thats probably the best and most economical
way to go as you will have housemates who can show you the ropes when you arrive and you can often find the house is much nicer
than one you could afford if you rent a place on your own
I would suggest looking around any areas you may consider living on google earth. It can give you an idea of what its like
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:50 am
Just Joined

moonjay is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should give it a try just so you don't regret not doing so later on. I've been here (Auckland) 7 years and to be frank I often wonder what the heck I'm doing here and I meet a lot of Brits who feel the same. That salary is pretty low to get by in Auckland and property rental here is extortionate, after tax and acc contributions you'll be lucky if you can cover your rent. Mobile phones, broadband and power are much more expensive here and expect your weekly grocery bill to make your eyes water. On the plus side, Kiwi;s are lovely, hospitable people, so although you'll probably be broke you;ll have a great circle of mates.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

its the same in the UK mate
Iv lived down essex the past 4 years and its the exact same.
wages have been pretty much stayed stagnant for the past 10 years and the cost of living and property rental or house prices have gone through the roof.

for 2 bed house to rent is near £900-1000 depending on areas and thats 50-60 mile from london.
2 bed house to buy is 250k minimuim again depending on areas.
utility bills and keeping cars on road again are really high.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

its the same in the UK mate
Iv lived down essex the past 4 years and its the exact same.
wages have been pretty much stayed stagnant for the past 10 years and the cost of living and property rental or house prices have gone through the roof.

for 2 bed house to rent is near £900-1000 depending on areas and thats 50-60 mile from london.
utility bills and keeping cars on road again are really high.
Well again just depends where in the UK. Would I advise somebody to move to London on that salary, probably no. Same for Dublin, so if housing prices and other costs are important to you, why Auckland? With your skills, getting a job is the easiest part, so why not move to a cheaper place where wages go further?
Old Jun 15th 2018, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pretty good to me, I think I'll move to Essex. Have you seen how much houses and rent are in Auckland?
Old Jun 15th 2018, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Sounds pretty good to me, I think I'll move to Essex. Have you seen how much houses and rent are in Auckland?
True:-). The £900 - 1000 would be cheap for a house anywhere in Europe, especially close to a larger city. That's what some friends of mine are paying for an apartment in Germany, that's around 50miles from Frankfurt.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:39 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it. It will likely make or break your relationship but I'd go for it all the same. It made ours at the time, we broke up 5yrs later but not because of the move here and we are both still in NZ.

Hope it works out for you :-)
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

yes my basic salary is 55k for my 40 hours
plus overtime and weekends
so hopefullybe making 70k ish a year
then have my wife will be working full time aswell so hopefully we will survive out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.