Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I'm moving to Christchurch - new friends required!

I'm moving to Christchurch - new friends required!

Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:30 am
Just Joined

anglokraut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm moving to Christchurch - new friends required!

Hi there,

I have recently been granted my residence visa for NZ and am moving to Christchurch from the UK in mid-July. Although I have been to NZ twice before, I don't really know anybody in Christchurch so it is time to make new friends...

I'll be in Christchurch later this month (April 18th-30th) to start laying some of the groundwork for my permanent move in the Summer, like finding somewhere to live and start looking for employment. If there are any expats based in the Christchurch area who fancy a drink or two later this month who are able to offer useful advice on settling in NZ, I would be most grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you...

Regards,

Mark
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:29 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm moving to Christchurch - new friends required!

Originally Posted by anglokraut
Hi there,

I have recently been granted my residence visa for NZ and am moving to Christchurch from the UK in mid-July. Although I have been to NZ twice before, I don't really know anybody in Christchurch so it is time to make new friends...

I'll be in Christchurch later this month (April 18th-30th) to start laying some of the groundwork for my permanent move in the Summer, like finding somewhere to live and start looking for employment. If there are any expats based in the Christchurch area who fancy a drink or two later this month who are able to offer useful advice on settling in NZ, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Mark
Having lived there before I can tell you that you will find the locals friendly in the main. So don't think you will have many problems making new friends.

Try getting a place to live away from the east side of the city. The beach might be at Brighton but there's more than a fair share of low life's on the east side and inner city. Mind you I haven't been there for a while, so things may have changed.

Good Luck
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:36 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm moving to Christchurch - new friends required!

Originally Posted by anglokraut
Hi there,

Regards,

Mark
Meeting expats shouldn be much of a problem in Christchurch. My brother inlaw is from Manchester but has been in NZ 30 plus years & he has so many English friends living here. Ive been to the Working Mens Club with him on many occassions & found the place to be like a little league of nations. My husband was also amused when he went for a few drinks with the brother inlaw because in his drinking school there was Brits, Scots, Irish, Australians a few Kiwis & my Hubby the yank. Very entertaining when you hear all the different accents laughing & chatting together. Really dont think you will have to look too far so I wouldnt be too concerned.I see that you are heading that way in a few days so have a safe trip & enjoy your travels.

Shepslady