Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I'll never understand government services...

I'll never understand government services...

Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'll never understand government services...

A contracted change management adviser at the Foreign Affairs has recommended staff take a hot bath, pray or meditate or do Tai Chi or Yoga to reduce stress, as the ministry looks at ways to cut cost including shedding up to 305 jobs, Labour leader david Shearer said today.

Another option was getting a pet.

Shearer said the contractors were being paid $340,000.
Seems a lot of money for some really awful advice . My free advice: Invest in a bottle of wine, junk food and watch a rubbish film. That should take your minds off the fact you may not have a job tomorrow.

Isn't it kind of a very cruel thing they have done by threatening the employees first so it hangs over their heads rather than making it quick, professional, dignified and discrete? Really very poor management of the situation IMO. Perhaps if they employed more professional managers who could do their job the first saving they could have made would have been the $340k "change management" contractor fee.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'll never understand government services...

So your job is on the line and hence your income, and a way to reduce stress is to get a pet? What an idiot.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:58 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

If they're forewarned, they can start making financial decisions, like NOT getting loans/credit for new toys.
I was made redundant overnight twenty years ago, and can't recommend the short sharp shock over the ability to talk things through with colleagues and family.
There will be resentment over the "why me and not them?" kind of thing, but that's just life sometimes.

By the way, I'm completely against the idea of consultants being paid huge sums to come in and save a few bob by destroying lives, and believe all these consultant types should be ashamed of themselves for their choice of career, and should be rounded up and branded "scum," on the face!
Just my opinion.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:03 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
If they're forewarned, they can start making financial decisions, like NOT getting loans/credit for new toys.
Of course that's what I mean rather than being tapped on the shoulder and asked to tidy your desk, being told and given a couple of months to sort you financial affairs before leaving.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose they should be commended for being up front about it, rather than a lot of other services that are trying to hide the cuts under the carpet and deny all knowledge. A husband or partner of one of the Auckland district health board members recently dared to 'Tweet' or 'Bleat' about $60m of cuts, he was soon hushed up and later retracted those comments denying that any such a thing had been discussed. Oddly the CEO has however resigned his own job over these 'alleged' impossible budget cuts which are still of course being denied.

Advising folks to get a pet, when they are just about to lose their jobs, probably wouldn't rank among the smartest of advice.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 7th 2012 at 5:13 am.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:29 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

At the worst times, a cat never fails to cheer you up when it rubs up to you purring......
......you then have to go out in the pissing rain, blowing a hoolie to walk the dog, and the goodness is lost.....
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:48 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

At the worst times, a cat never fails to cheer you up when it rubs up to you purring......
......you then have to go out in the pissing rain, blowing a hoolie to walk the dog, and the goodness is lost.....
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

At the worst times, a cat never fails to cheer you up when it rubs up to you purring...
Indeed, it never fails to make me feel grateful and loved cos if it were me that instigated the fussing he'd be off like a shot.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Seems a lot of money for some really awful advice . My free advice: Invest in a bottle of wine, junk food and watch a rubbish film. That should take your minds off the fact you may not have a job tomorrow.

Isn't it kind of a very cruel thing they have done by threatening the employees first so it hangs over their heads rather than making it quick, professional, dignified and discrete? Really very poor management of the situation IMO. Perhaps if they employed more professional managers who could do their job the first saving they could have made would have been the $340k "change management" contractor fee.
It is OUR money NOT THIERS. Thus it is a piece of piss for them to spend/waste. So many bloody public servants and public depts see fit to spunk OUR hard earned up the wall. 'Tossers' spring to mind.