Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

IKEA Auckland - Any News

IKEA Auckland - Any News

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:06 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IKEA Auckland - Any News

It will do NZ good to have an Ikea (or two) - it will raise the quality bar for many other retailers: cheap doesn't have to mean crud.

Ikea does basic everyday mundane items like drinking glasses and sweeping brushes very well - a couple of bucks each, looks good and won't break the bank.

Warehouse or Ikea? really is no competition is there.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

We lived in NZ in the 70s and early 80s and my mum was telling me how they used to do their Christmas shopping in Australia because the toys in NZ were scare, extremely expensive or cheap and shoddy.

Once The Warehouse landed in NZ, prices on toys came rocketing down to a more reasonable rate... food for thought if and (hopefully) when, IKEA gets here.

Personally, I can't WAIT for it to arrive - I want to add to my IVAR shelving system!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:53 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We've got a whole stack of that too, it's great isn't it. To replace it now from Ikea Australia would cost quite a bit.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

If you're truly desperate to know what you're missing in Ikea - you can always buy one of the catalogues off TradeMe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...earch&x=19&y=8
Of course, you could also download it for free off the website too...

And then there's the flight to Oz if you did wish to buy something
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Rosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Does anyone up in Auckland , know when the store will open, it was supposed to be 2008 or early 2009, but i am getting desperate ! Most Kiwi furniture is stuff like your granny used to have, nice wood, terrible designs ! Come on IKEA where r u ? 1 dollar hotdogs too
Hi There

I had missed the Ikea to NZ news. This could save us a fortune in shipping! I phoned Ikea in Glasgow (closest to me). The official line is they know nothing about it! But apparently that is what happened when Ikea planned to open one store in Scotland then opened two within about a year of the first news! As for granny's old furniture, my recent trip to Ikea involved my hubbie ranting that no-one wants to buy mahogany furniture and swirly rugs -but Ikea were still selling them! Belfast has just got its first Ikea, we will miss the buses full of furniture passing us on the motorway on the way to the ferry at Troon...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

I found a news article online - Auckland council have vetoed i on the grounds it may be too popular! one can only think that Auckland doesn't need further areas on congestion!! we will have it in Welly instead if they want!!!!! Just don't tell the hubby - he will get it vetoed on the grounds I will spend too much!!!!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/...ectid=10490969
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosiebear
As for granny's old furniture, my recent trip to Ikea involved my hubbie ranting that no-one wants to buy mahogany furniture and swirly rugs -but Ikea were still selling them! ...
What's the disadvantage of mahogani furniture? anybody knows please?

I do know (some) Piano is made from Mahogani.

I bought a square mahogani dining table (just table - not chairs included) last week - because it's the cheapest SQUARE wooden table I could get - not that I like it. (it was approximately $500 - I don't consider its cheap at all )

If I want to buy a proper quality one, it should be $2000 at least.

When I buy the table, (it's new) but it already has a few major scratches. and I can tell the wood is weaker.

I know I won't use this for too long but I actually regret purchasing. I really do think it's too expensive.

Why No Ikea in NZ? Because Kiwis are loser. they are bloody too afraid of competition, aren't they? - that's the only reason I could think of. Traffic Jam? What a joke.

I do think although we have Ikea here, I am 200% sure the price will be as expensive as other furniture shops.

We seem to have 1940~50's life style (myself- nothing wrong with it as I am not a spring chicken ) - using granny granny granny Nana style furniture, either using crap Indonesian Mahogani dining table for $500? Haha. What could be worse than this? hahaha. Should I say Thanks God because we don't live in Africa/China? ha ha ha ha ha ha

to be honest, my parents are not used to this life style which is lack of choice or buying crap with ridiculous prices. (I am little more used to this than them as I grew up here a bit). I've never seen they buy anything here really (apart from a few second hand stuff) . No. they actully refuse to buy things here except food. When my mum knew I got my new dining table, (she was mad).

-rant end-

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 14th 2008 at 6:30 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:36 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I'm not a great one for any shop but I really want Ikea to arrive in NZ & soon. It's not like I bought much of the stuff when I was in the UK , but here it would make a very welcome and affordable change.
We are assuming IKEA will not become over priced like the rest of the shops, I hope our assumptions pan out.

I wasn't into IKEA as I already had everything and more than I wanted but I did enjoy looking at IKEA furniture and accessories, I would love to replace what I did not bring with IKEA and I think it will go well with NZ style of houses.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:10 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

As long as nobody gets stabbed over a sofa like when the North London (pretty sure it wasn't the Croydon one) opened then Ikea would be a good thing here.

Apart from those really daft aisles. I hated remembering something and having to walk halfway back around the shop again just to get a £3 lampshade.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

We should get a petition up for Ikea - one North Island and one in the South Island. While we are about it what about a Marks and Spencer and an Asda or Tesco!!!! Plenty space in South Island and no where near the traffic congestion of North Island!!!LOL
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shirl
We should get a petition up for Ikea - one North Island and one in the South Island. LOL
I'd sign one, not got any of their furniture but love it for all the accessory stuff

nic