Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If New Zealand is so Rugby Mad....

If New Zealand is so Rugby Mad....

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If New Zealand is so Rugby Mad....

Talking about Oakwell n NZ etc. My last game at Oakwell before moving to NZ was marked by the legendary BFC mascot Toby Tyke doing the Haka for me at Half Time. I go shake his hand towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjwz...e_gdata_player
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:47 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodlea
No they don't, most people on this forum moan about their economic situation in NZ.
So the economic situation in NZ is worse than the UK then? Which is it? You can't have it both ways!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:51 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billingham
So the economic situation in NZ is worse than the UK then? Which is it? You can't have it both ways!
It's funny really ...

When you read the threads you'll find some people are better off in NZ.

Some people are better off in the UK.

So, yes, it can work both ways, depending on individual circumstances.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It's funny really ...

When you read the threads you'll find some people are better off in NZ.

Some people are better off in the UK.

So, yes, it can work both ways, depending on individual circumstances.
Isn't it funny.

So if we are to believe that it swings and roundabouts, cheaper / more expensive i.e. not much in it, then the argument that they can't go to an AB match for financial reasons must be wrong?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it funny.

So if we are to believe that it swings and roundabouts, cheaper / more expensive i.e. not much in it, then the argument that they can't go to an AB match for financial reasons must be wrong?
Except perhaps there is a link between being an AB fan and having a poorly paid job???
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Except perhaps there is a link between being an AB fan and having a poorly paid job???
Nah, all the Barnsley fans are really well off.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:06 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it funny.

Umm ... how?? I suggested some people are doing ok financially and some people are not. How does that relate to being an AB's fan?

Where are you billingham? Would you pay to go and watch them if you wanted to? I did last year and it was fantastic. But then I'm not rugby mad and it was a one off.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

This thread was started to give me some answers and all I've got is more excuses.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

It was funny, now it is becoming ridiculous.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:07 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t really think it’s that much of a New Zealand tradition any more. Sure it was big once but generations change and now you’ll mostly find the old timers going to games, Rugby Sevens is where the fun is now .
Rugby World Cup organisers have 51 days to sell 350,000 tickets or risk New Zealand's reputation as a rugby-mad nation. For a total sellout of all games, a further 560,000 tickets would still need to go.

But with mostly more expensive tickets left to the big games and soft demand from Australia and tsunami-hit Japan, sales look set to fall well short of the virtual sell-out at the previous tournament in France.

The Government and RWC 2011 are expecting to absorb a $39m loss on the tournament, a figure that will increase if ticket sales come up short of the 82 per cent target.
Link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5...ld-Cup-tickets

Looking forward to the Cricket World Cup though, will be forking out a bit to see some games .
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Why do they get pathetic attendences at Rugby games. Tonight is a prime example, 12,500 tickets sold for an All Blacks game a month before they host the Rugby World Cup. I've asked the locals why the live games get such poor crowds, here's the list of excuses from the last Blues game and tonight AB match.

Too cold - yes 2 degrees is too cold.

Wrong day - Yes how many Kiwi's can finish work on Friday and be in Dunedin for a 7.30 pm kick off

No Fijians on South Island (expecting away team to fill stadium) - Thought you were asking about NZ

A certain player isn't playing - No

Not competitive - some of the reason

It's on TV - One big reason.

Not in right stadium - No

I thought NZ was Rugby mad and All Blacks mad, looks like I'm wrong.

NZ is rugby mad but not mad enough to take an afternoon off work, travel what for us is to the other end of the country on a friday, freeze when we can casually come home from work, have dinner with a wine in a warm house then put our feet up and with a glass of our choice and watch the game. Might add my OH is down there (that's how I know what the temp is, but he is only there because he has to be.

If England hosted the world cup and had a warm up match the month before they could sell out any stadium in England 50 times over.

England hasn't had the devasting earthquakes that have plagued that southern region of NZ since September last year and do not have the uncertain futures in housing and financial insecurity that the region has. I know that the Crusdaaer team has travelled 60,000 airmiles since February to their Super 15 games and plenty of Kiwi supporters have done the same to support them and that has been a major effort by their supporters.

I am not sure that most Kiwi's would agree that the Fiji game was much of a warm up for the World Cup.
And of course many Kiwi supporters are like us and have paid big $ for WC tickets which means you can't afford to see every game.

Most rugby supporters I know are more interested in the Tri nations tests coming up when there are trophies at stake.

And last but not least are you not being a tad over zealous comparing crowd numbers in NZ to England ?

What Kiwi rugby supporters really want to see if rugby returned to afternoon games and to h.ll with Sky TV deals for the nenefit of overseas viewers

Last edited by Bellasmum; Jul 22nd 2011 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

The excuses just keep coming, they even had some sports marketing bloke on making up some excuses before the game. I have family in Dunedin and I've been there twice last September, it's a big enough place to easily fill the stadium for an AB match, they don't build stadiums in cities with too big of a capacity. My cousin says it was embarrassing listening to the excuses from the locals.

I bet the all whites would have attracted a bigger crowd, us football fans ain't scared of pricey tickets, cold weather, taking a day off work and long distance travel. Maybe the Kiwi's lack that tribal mentality us football fans have, certainly looks that way.

Poor show NZ
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of blaming the locals, maybe rugby needs to take a good, hard look at itself and why it's losing support. It's a business like any other - unfortunately - well the flipside is if they expect people to fork out $$ they need to get their shizz together and give them a reason to.

I have my theories. Something has definitely been lost. I grew up when NZ was truly rugby mad but it was a different game then - not professional, etc. etc. It really meant something to be an AB.

I personally couldn't care less now. Rugby (and rugby players) have assumed that being the centre of national attention is their birthright. Maybe this is a long overdue wake up call.

now, how about those All Whites.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 22nd 2011 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

So the 'Rugby Mad' tag isn't warranted anymore then, that's what I'm getting at.

Only one of the ABs group matches has sold out, it's barmy. NZ might be the only country where Rugby Union is the number one sport and matches are poorly attended, something is going on.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:44 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, seems one thing this thread is lacking is input from someone living in the Dunedin area, so here goes.

This last minute addition test match was put on partly as a fund raiser for Christchurch. It was also billed as the ABs farewell to 'The House of Pain', Carisbrook. I'm not going to comment on the fundraising aspect except to say that the whole country has been fundraising continuously for Christchurch, so that was never going to be a major draw card to get the locals in.

As for 'farewelling Carisbrook' ........ well funnily enough we had a match down here last year that was billed as The All Blacks Farewell Match/last match at Carisbrook - so that was never going to be a draw card for the locals either (incidentally the place was heaving for that farewell!).

Add into the mix that this was the only AB test match in the SI for the whole year and who did they chose as opponants, no other than that highly rated team from Fiji! Rugby fans from 'the deep south' are fed up with being thrown crumbs from the rich NI table, and are finally beginning to vote wth their feet.

Additionally local rugby fans are still smarting from the crap treatment they are receiving from the Super 14 and Highlanders leadership, and the low funding in general from NZRU. Apathy is beginning to set in around the professional level of rugby (but local grass roots rugby is in the ascendance).

On top of that, we are having to pay for the, to use a royal phrase 'Monstrous Carbuncle' that is the Forsyth Barr Stadium - with no financial help from NZRU or the government. Then we sit back and watch in amazment at how much money is thrown at RWC in the NI. This new stadium is being raved about by the likes of Bill Beaument, and being promoted by NZRU as a RWC fixture - but still no sign of financial assistance.

On the economic side of things, I'd agree that people are saving their $$ for RWC. There is a large number of immigrants from various countries involved in RWC living around here, so many of them will be waiting to go along to support their old homeland teams - that's a once in a lifetime chance for most so will win over one chance in a year to see the ABs. Additionally, Dunedin is reeling from a large number of job losses of one of its biggest employers during the last week or so. Job losses that are down to the government sending production work that could have been done here overseas. So I'd hazard a guess that there are a fair few rugby fans who don't feel like celebrating or are now counting their $$ and opted to watch at home.

Carisbrook in winter is not the most comfortable or warmest of places. Night/evening time matches here usually have poor pre-match day ticket sales as people will wait to see what the weather will do before deciding whether to go to the match or watch it at home. Last night was pretty poor weatherwise down here!

Can't speak for why people from out of the area chose not to go, but those are my thoughts on the local viewpoint!

Opinions expressed in this post are made from my own personal viewpoint/experience, and may differ from those of other individuals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.