Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

IETLS and Nurse registration

IETLS and Nurse registration

Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all
Unhappy IETLS and Nurse registration

I would like to introduce myself as I am new to this forum. My name is Ebony and I am a nurse from the UK. I am planning on moving to New Zealand ASAP.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard rumors of the NCNZ making changes to the requirements of the IETLS needed for registration as this test is causing me major headaches at the moment.

I have e mailed the Council directly to ask them as I do not really want to keep paying out for the test (its £130 each time and I've taken it twice ) if they are changing it.
Thanks for any advice or information.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IETLS and Nurse registration

Hello!
I'm also A nurse in the UK hoping to move to NZ ASAP.
I've just got my NZ nursing registration, but haven't heard anything about changing the IELTS requirement. I do hope they're not thinking of increasing the required score, it's already pretty tough.
Hopefully the Council will get back to you soon. I feel your frustration.
Good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

maddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to all

Hi - I am not a nurse over here, but have a friend who is and is really struggling (South Island) with the pressures of nursing.She feels under more stress now than when she was in the UK. I am sure that you have really looked into living and working in New Zealand and understand that nursing holds just as many challenges here. It is an expensive move and a big decision, so ensure you are as prepared as you can be for any challenges. I have added some current media posts - I am sure some nurses on this site will have further pros/cons info. Good luck with the IELTS and the move.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...migrant-nurses

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10826895
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all

Hi

Have you got any tips for the IETLS. All i need to get is a band 7 in the writing section, I keep getting a band 6. All the other sections I passed with over a band 7 first time. I also spoke to a personal tutor who thinks its a technique problem not a english problem.
Also how long did the whole registration process take. I was aimimg to get over to NZ for December but this test is delaying me by what seems like forever.

I hope to hear back from the Council in the next few days in regards to the proposed changes.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi I feel your pain, with the writing section remember they deduct marks for incorrect grammar and spelling. Good luck with your next attempt
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moondust_frenzy
Hi

Have you got any tips for the IETLS. All i need to get is a band 7 in the writing section, I keep getting a band 6. All the other sections I passed with over a band 7 first time. I also spoke to a personal tutor who thinks its a technique problem not a english problem.
Also how long did the whole registration process take. I was aimimg to get over to NZ for December but this test is delaying me by what seems like forever.

I hope to hear back from the Council in the next few days in regards to the proposed changes.
I was really worried about the writing section too. I had to really work at it an practise writing short essays. I found a guy on utube (I think he's known as english Ryan) who had some good tips for formatting your essay.

My registration took 2.5 months. It was delayed by my school of nursing not having full records of my training. I had to request a transcript from the NMC which took another month.
It might be worth requesting a transcript from the NMC as well as your school as it's free and will save time if the Nursing Council are not satisfied with what your school sends.
Do you still need to do your migrant visa application? We've just had our EOI selected from the pool and are tentatively thinking mid Jan/early Feb before we get there.

Good luck with it all and let me know if I can help.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for all yor replys.

The Nursing Council have come back to me with a reply for the proposed changes. If any are to go ahead it wont be until next year which for me has a positive and negative.
The negative being I have to resit the IETLS again and the positive being they may ask for 2 years post grad experience before an application can be lodged and im only 3.5 months.

Looks like the personal tutor and English Ryan will be my new best friends until the 27th October when I resit.

I have already got my transcript from University sorted, and I need a job offer before I can get Visa. I to am hoping to get there for Feb time.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I failed first time on the writing section. I heard they fail a percentage of people each time. Like yourself I was fuming about the cost and waste of a day. I found a fab book on amazon target 7 by Simone ? Can't remember the surname sorry. Also there are some great websites where you can find free practice papers and I paid £35 for a website that was an step by step guide to the exam. There is a formula to follow in the exam which gains you the needed points. I hated the whole day so thinking of you.
It's worth it tho we love life here. Send me a message if I can be of more help.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

At this moment in time I am thinking of just giving up the whole idea of moving. Twice doing the IETLS is bad enough and don't know if I can cope with doing it again. I have done all the revision with websites, books and the IETLS website. Going to see a personal tutor on Friday but to be honest atm my heart really isn't in it.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

At this moment in time I am thinking of just giving up the whole idea of moving. Twice doing the IETLS is bad enough and don't know if I can cope with doing it again. I have done all the revision with websites, books and the IETLS website. Going to see a personal tutor on Friday but to be honest atm my heart really isn't in it.
Don't give up! It'll be so worth it when you pass.
Fingers crossed for you on Friday, hopefully the tutor will bolster your confidence.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't blame you for feeling that way at all but don't give up.

What is the sticking area with the poxy thing ?

Makes me wonder how dyslexics cope.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

im gonna give it 1 more go the next test im going for is Nov 3rd. so that gives me 4 weeks approx to get some tution in.

I will let you know how im getting on but in the mean time any other tips will be very very very welcomed and the ones already recieved I have looked at.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT