Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Idiots or Windups - Trade Me dealings

Idiots or Windups - Trade Me dealings

Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Idiots or Windups - Trade Me dealings

So with trepidation I've recently done a heap of listings as a result of a clear out.

The first inane question came in 7 minutes & I think this is a record for me.
Despite making it clear that postage to be advised upon sale (I put in weight & dimensions so it can be worked out) on all ads, every single one had a minimum of 2 asking followed by rafts of stupid questions. I had so many Stephen Fry,John Cleese & Miranda moments I really don't know how I stopped myself from using good old british sarcasm.

It took a couple of replies to one before I realised this person was a lonely saddo shut in a room. I reply to vaguely expected questions but ignore the rest.

It becomes such a chore now plus their rates have shot up.

Idiots or nutters? They're out there somewhere & just think, might even pass them in street & not know it.

Anyone using Wheadle? What's it like?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Idiots or Windups - Trade Me dealings

That would do my head in.

I think - but am not sure - that you can list per a location related Garage Sale page via Facebook .

Someone mentioned it to me in passing over the weekend as they are using this to get rid of excess.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

From what I hear garage sales are equally fraught with nutjobs, they attract some untowards along with the professional traders; people queue up and arrive at your doorstep hours before the said time disturbing neighbours, offering pennies for good stuff and then you apparently also gotta watch for those that are there to try to steal things.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:26 pm
`

My pal did say that a couple of persons had arrived to buy her stuff as agreed and then tried to haggle her down below the agreed price .
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I don't do Facebook anyway.

Garage sales I'm already au fait with & besides I'm up in the wop wops so either a rescue helicopter crew or pig hunter would be likeliest lookers.

Oh & another thing .... those that pose the questions never bid.

I already have a time waster situation on one sale.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHGHGHGHGHGH
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:18 am
`

Originally Posted by Vikkichic
& besides I'm up in the wop wops so either a rescue helicopter crew or pig hunter would be likeliest lookers.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:27 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
From what I hear garage sales are equally fraught with nutjobs, they attract some untowards along with the professional traders; people queue up and arrive at your doorstep hours before the said time disturbing neighbours, offering pennies for good stuff and then you apparently also gotta watch for those that are there to try to steal things.
Yeah, I suspected as much. That puts me off having a garage sale.

I can see me listing any unwanted goods of mine in the classifieds of the local paper. I put a postcard on the info board of our local supermarket last year to get rid of an old microwave and something else that I now can't remember. There was no response so it just became a charity shop donation.

I can't be doing with TradeMe or Ebay as a seller.

I realise plenty of honest people host/attend garage sales. I've been to a couple of garage sales.

I don't like the idea of shysters getting a free look at, 'what else you've got'. Or anyone getting crappy about an agreed price. Or thinking they can walk all over you. Or just act in an odd manner 'cause a) it's what they do, b) you'll never see each other again.

The experience of trying to sell a second hand car just for parts in Britain years ago puts me off. I sold the engine (buyer collects, my Dad told me to watch them removing it) then I sold the body for scrap, or got it collected, or whatever. I got a call a few days after the vehicle had gone, some guy wanted the exhaust and some other spare part from the vehicle and remarked that he would have paid full price. How convenient once I'd said it had been disposed of.

I also saw some young toe-rag kick off about the price of a t.v. in a charity shop here in NZ. He remarked,

'I'm trying to make some money'.
'So are we' replied the voluntary shop worker.

Toe-rag just walked out of the shop in disgust. (OK, I'll say it, 'honestly, some people !')

The experience of the OP has just confirmed what I thought about the weirdo element that tries to find it's life in the classified listings.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 18th 2013 at 12:46 am. Reason: to prove that I listened in my English lessons at school
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikkichic
Thanks

Oh & another thing .... those that pose the questions never bid.
I find those that start out being a P.I.T.A and asking stoopid questions from the outset remain so, therefore just as well some of them do keep those bids to themselves.

Trademe does a poor effort at weeding out the timewasters who don't complete trades and have terrible feedback. It's amazing how the ones who don't, won't or can't pay always have just suffered a death in the family or some major disater with their internet connections.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:29 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I remember as a youth going to Otara market to flog off stuff (it's like a car boot sale but you get a table). You have to pay a fee but in those days it was quite low. Gotta watch for thieves and shoplifters though. Be prepared to donate some of your stuff! Still we made money on it. If you've got teens it could be worth packing them off to do the hard work and they can keep the profits.

Not sure if there are others around the country.