Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I Wish Somebody Had Told Me About..........

I Wish Somebody Had Told Me About..........

Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:51 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default I Wish Somebody Had Told Me About..........

OK, now I've spent 3 years getting to NZ. During this time I researched everything and then researched it again. As we all know, it is a massive move, so I wanted to be sure. However, there are always going to be things that crop up that you either weren't aware of or disregarded.

So, what 1 thing can you say has caught you out. It can be light hearted or completely serious....

I'll start things off.......THE RAIN....I heard it was bad but as I'm a Brit and have spent time in both Manchester and Scotland, I thought I knew what rain was........I was wrong...nobody prepared me for how much or how quickly the rain comes down!.............
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Wish Somebody Had Told Me About..........

I'll second that!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
OK, now I've spent 3 years getting to NZ. During this time I researched everything and then researched it again. As we all know, it is a massive move, so I wanted to be sure. However, there are always going to be things that crop up that you either weren't aware of or disregarded.

So, what 1 thing can you say has caught you out. It can be light hearted or completely serious....

I'll start things off.......THE RAIN....I heard it was bad but as I'm a Brit and have spent time in both Manchester and Scotland, I thought I knew what rain was........I was wrong...nobody prepared me for how much or how quickly the rain comes down!.............
I live in an apparently rainy place. However I feel the weather here is well clement and way better than UK weather and I lived in the South East of england for 40 odd years. I did not research the weather. At all. I just wanted to live in NZ. I wanted to have space. I knew the weather was not going to be hot ( a big plus in my mind). I am very happy with the meterlogical aspect of NZ life.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Sirplug - when the sun comes out boy is it hot ( not bad for winter !!)

Genesis - way-to serious for this time in the morning!!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:47 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I live in an apparently rainy place. However I feel the weather here is well clement and way better than UK weather and I lived in the South East of england for 40 odd years. I did not research the weather. At all. I just wanted to live in NZ. I wanted to have space. I knew the weather was not going to be hot ( a big plus in my mind). I am very happy with the meterlogical aspect of NZ life.
I love the weather. It won't make me dislike NZ but it does know how to fall!

Originally Posted by ragdolls2
Sirplug - when the sun comes out boy is it hot ( not bad for winter !!)
Yep, great winter weather!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

find it hard getting out of bed on a freezing cold windy and wet/damp morning. I look forward to my morning coffee.

So fed up with bad weather lately. seiously I was almost blown away by the wind last night. (...Wish Somebody Had Told Me About it.......... I still find it pretty shocking. ... )

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 27th 2010 at 12:03 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i'd known about the cruddy beaches.
A beach can look nice in a photgraph but when you get there its bloody aweful.
Crap washed up all aver the place, winds that whip the sand up andblow it all over the palce.
Many are so out the way the journey isnt worth it or you have to park up and trudge
through scrub for 3/4 hour to reach it.
When you do get there you cant really enjoy the sea as the rip tides are so strong and dangerous
And at most there is NOTHING there so if you need some water, or a coffee or maybe some
lunch or the toilet your buggered.
Many are more like wastelands than beaches. very disapointing indeed
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:22 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
I wish i'd known about the cruddy beaches.
A beach can look nice in a photgraph but when you get there its bloody aweful.
Crap washed up all aver the place, winds that whip the sand up andblow it all over the palce.
Many are so out the way the journey isnt worth it or you have to park up and trudge
through scrub for 3/4 hour to reach it.
When you do get there you cant really enjoy the sea as the rip tides are so strong and dangerous
And at most there is NOTHING there so if you need some water, or a coffee or maybe some
lunch or the toilet your buggered.
Many are more like wastelands than beaches. very disapointing indeed
Your in the wrong place then!
The beaches here by us are gorgeous, best ones I've seen so far though have to be the Coromandel and Bay of Islands... lush

I agree the rain is weird and unexpected, we've only been here a week and its so strange the way the sun can be cracking the flags with a clear sky then 10 mins later a massive grey cloud has descended and the rain is pelting it down! If this is NZ winter though I'll take it over UK anyday!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

HAHA the rain this week has been 'interesting' in Orewa! I wasn't prepared for it either, and after 3 years it still amazes me how much it can rain and within minutes pick up and get hot

The cold too! I expected cold, but to be too cold to even stick your nose from under a duvet isn't funny We just spent loads buying those Econoheat heaters for every room in the house
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:00 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloody wind

Wish we had know about the wind, it drives us nuts around Oct time, just when its start of fly fishing season, drive off on a nice calm morning to a beautiful river location, start to fish and the ******** wind gets up
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Ha Ha Ha

Nice to see you can put Brits the other side of the planet and we are still obsessed with the weather
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Not just any old rain, we get horizontal rain in Wellington!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

[TEAU][/U]
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Sorry! I meant to say - TEA.

Bell Tea and whatever the other one is! Taste like watery mud (I imagine).
I had to get my olds to send over some Tetley on a regular basis. So much nicer.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:06 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
Ha Ha Ha

Nice to see you can put Brits the other side of the planet and we are still obsessed with the weather
You can take the Brits out of...............

Dewb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.