Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I think but im not sure

I think but im not sure

Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:09 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think but im not sure

I could do with a couple of tins of cream coloured Dulux paint please.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:36 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Can you call in you're local Indian takeaway and get me a chicken rogan, vegetable pilaw, garlic naan and some onion bajis please. please.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:31 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Bunnings in Chch certainly don't sell them only folding picnic type trestle tables, wrong size and too heavy and don't fold in half for transport. Paper quality in NZ, Resene, is excellent good straight edges, though I use lining paper more than top paper. The shops tend to sell the paper that immerses in a water trough before hanging or the type that you paste the wall and not the paper. Papering walls and ceilings seems to be a mode of decoration that although have been around a long time here have bben pro rather than DIY.
I have noticed Bunnings starting to stock wallpapers now.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:38 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Can you call in you're local Indian takeaway and get me a chicken rogan, vegetable pilaw, garlic naan and some onion bajis please. please.
Raviz Indian Cuisine Hobson Steet full of local Indian families and the best Chicken Vindaloo I have ever eaten (both times!) and that includes the balti houses of Sparkbrook Brum!
Get down there and try it!
p.s wifey agrees....
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - was just doing a Tesco shop for my mum and came across Toffifee, had forgotten about them, now sooo want some. Does anyone know if they do them over here?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:21 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You could pay silly money in an ex-pat shop. I went to, 'Tastes of the UK' in Palmerston North on Thursday. I got some Paxo stuffing mix and some proper marmalade.

I've seen Toffifee sold there too.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

If it's the city of the rip off your coming to, I suggest you head to Riccarton Market every Sunday for ex-pat stuff unless you live in Kaiapoi

There's a chap that sells a lot of British products at sensible prices. Expensive but not as expensive as the British job on Riccarton Road near Westfield for example. I usually get wagon wheels from him for $2.99 which I can't complain about. He was getting a telling off from Sanitarium a few months back, I don't know what went on since

He loves football chat as well. Well he did but I don't think he appreciates it as much now.

Supermarkets sell british products as well but some can be pricey. We refuse to consider Ready Brek even though that was my wifes favourite breakfast back in Blighty. However when you see Countdown selling Rusks for $4.99, you cannot allow your little one not to experience your favourite biscuit - especially when he's a wee good lad and offers you some of his
Old Dec 14th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Sorry guys The i think but im not sure is now sure and we have decided its a no , We are going to stay put for now , The rate of pay wouldnt of abled us to live to our means and i feel that the pull of our long awaited grandaughter will be too much of a pull , In the cold light of day i think it would break my heart to leave so soon after she is born which could be any week now Not to mention leaving my daughter and all other family members , I maybe think im not as strong as i thought , Maybe in a few months or years it will be right for us but i dont think it is now , Thank you so much to every one for there advice whether it of been positive or negative , You raised some points that i had not even thought of and it really all helped with the bigger picture . so Thank you everyone xx
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

least you have made your mind up and now can look forward to spending time with the new addition when she is born.

Glad that BE has been able to help, it amazes me still that so many people take the time and effort to help and do genuinely want to do give out the best advise they can albeit good and bad.

Enjoy a fantastic Christmas and your new Grand daughter when she decides to make an appearance
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:50 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceane01
Sorry guys
You have nothing to apologise to anyone for - the forum is for support and information sharing, not persuading folk to move

Originally Posted by oceane01
I maybe think im not as strong as i thought , Maybe in a few months or years it will be right for us but i dont think it is now ,
FWIW, I think it shows a lot of strength to decide not to emigrate. The whole emigration process has a lot of its own momentum and it certainly shows strength of mind to not get carried away with the infectious dreams of a "a new life". You won't regret being around for your granddaughter, that's for sure!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:26 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=oceane01;11036420]the pull of our long awaited grandaughter will be too much of a pull , In the cold light of day i think it would break my heart to leave so soon after she is born which could be any week now QUOTE]

Don't be sorry that you've made a decision.

I felt that you would not want to go once you had seen your granddaughter.

My worst fear is that Chad would have gone to NZ as a solo voyager, if you agreed to go but changed your mind prior to departure.

Anyway, I'll end this post like I was going to start it, 'What ? Where's my Cadbury's Mini Rolls ?' What a tease !

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

haha Thanks , I must admit i do feel like a weight has been lifted , I will definitely let you all know where we end up and when the new arrival makes an appearance . I also didnt realise the stress i had put my daughter under , she cried with relief and said thank god when i told her we were staying put . Its her first baby and i figure every girl needs there mum the first time round , I am very excited Hope you are all enjoying the sun , Its freezing here , shops are Bedlam and way too much cash is being spent again . I love christmas :-)
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:50 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

You've got so much to look forward to. Good luck with the baby and have a great Xmas.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You have nothing to apologise to anyone for - the forum is for support and information sharing, not persuading folk to move

FWIW, I think it shows a lot of strength to decide not to emigrate. The whole emigration process has a lot of its own momentum and it certainly shows strength of mind to not get carried away with the infectious dreams of a "a new life". You won't regret being around for your granddaughter, that's for sure!