Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need to know the truth

I need to know the truth

Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I need to know the truth

Err if the cost of a Wof is a factor in affording to move to NZ then stay in the UK mate.......i assume that was not a serious remark as the cost of a wof is cheap when compared to a UK MOT test............

Last edited by teambwr47; Oct 27th 2009 at 10:17 am.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
No it isn't.

It is when you can't afford to get a passport renewed. When you want to leave and can't afford to. When you want to leave but your partner doesn't want to. When you can't do something for your kids because there is no money . When you face real financial ruin because you cannot balance the budget , knowing it would not have been so had you stayed in the place/job/county/country you had come from. That is stuck and no laughing matter.

By good grace, we are not stuck and I am very thankful for that & more. We have choice. However, I am not so cosy in this NZ life of mine as to make light of those that do feel under extreme pressure. Nor would I poo poo those that feel content with their NZ lot either.

When we post to these boards we perhaps need to remember that not everyone will be in the same boat as ourselves. Nor be happy with what we are happy with as individuals. To that end, I would endorse being open and honest about our financial situations here in NZ rather than just stating we are
a - OK and brillliant
b - Not OK and struggling
c - Something in betweeny

I'm not sure it's a duty but it is , perhaps, a responsibility.
Well said, I'd love to give you a dose of Karma for that, but already did that once tonight.

We all know what it's like to cling to every word that gets posted on these forums when you are still in the UK looking for assurances and a glimmer of hope that things will work out. People do have a moral responsibility to give the facts, after all we have all been there looking for information and it's so not fair to paint things with a rosier glow than is reasonable for the average person to expect. Yes, indeedy scraping by on $45k may work and be satisfactorily achievable for some people, but they do need to caveat that with the realities and downsides. I have seen many many people return to the UK who just could not make the numbers add up and many more who would if only they could.

We managed for a few months, as many do in the short term, on one wage of $46k (because we had no choice) and we kept a roof over our heads and food on the table, but it certainly was no picnic and wouldn't be a position I would envy or want to return to, nor would I dare to recommend it to others as a lifestyle choice for the sake of just being in New Zealand.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I need the truth too, at the moment, I am having doubts, I noticed the price of a WOF is quite expensive, I am at a crossroads, stay in blighty, go to NZ or go somewhere else, anyone been in that situation?
Yep, most days, except mine's in reverse.

I agree though, if the price of a WOF is likely to sway the decision, you have got some serious thinking to do.

Big piece of paper, numbers, numbers, pluses and minuses is the only way forward. Think of every expense you have in the UK and find out the equivalent cost here. Weigh it up with your expected take home earnings using the calculator from the IRD website. See what you can live without or cut down upon and crunch and crunch the numbers.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry everyone, I was using the WOF as an example, an extended metaphor if you will. When me and the missus were first thinking about the move, we somehow assumed the cost of living would be less than that in the U.K. This was, however, probably based on info that was out of date.

We are family of 4, 2 adults, 2 small kids. I earn average salary (around £30k), wife stays at home. We are fortunate in that we would probably not need too much of a mortage, if any, if we sell up as we own the house. But judging by the poll on here, people living paycheque to paycheque seem quite a large number of people.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that is the case. Extremely few people have money left at the end of the month. To go to NZ you really have to give up things you take for granted in the UK. For the most part you have to get used to budgeting. Even the more middleclass NZers watch their pennies. Way of life.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Well I for one like watching pennies, the way of life, and works very well for me, in fact has made me better off financially in this country, I am now focused and don't haemorrhage money as I used to in the UK and I haven't slowed down my lifestyle one bit. I have more future - and that folks is the truth!
Actually 'the truth' is an odd thing to pin down, being the internet all you get here is posters perspectives on their lives, opinions etc, but the truth? no.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:15 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Yes, that is the case. Extremely few people have money left at the end of the month. To go to NZ you really have to give up things you take for granted in the UK. For the most part you have to get used to budgeting. Even the more middleclass NZers watch their pennies. Way of life.
You reckon? So why do you want to come to New Zealand?

On reflection since living in New Zealand and before when I was a visitor yearning to move to New Zealand I think we have gained more than we would have in the UK but how would we really know if we would have been better off in the UK unless we were there?

Is it really just about the money or is there something else?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with an expired passport.
I can't afford to renew it as I just bought a new telly LOL and it seems like a lowish priority

As for the truth...well..I very much doubt that there is such a thing. we all have our own truths, want different things, had different things, have widely differing expectations.

Research helps for sure but at some point you just have to go with it and see.
The internet is great but in some ways it makes decisions even harder...there are too many choices and opinions available to us.

At some point you have to sit back and realise that you have done enough preparation and research and then trust yourself. You know what is right for you and yours.

Keep enough money in reserve...or at least an empty credit card...then go with faith and hope
Great post Pricklykina
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I must have missed something when we lived in the UK because it seems like everyone there had/has spare cash at the end of each month, salaries that enable everyone to live so comfortably and things are cheaper than NZ.

What a complete crock of S#it....

We were very lucky to live a middle class kind of life there but the majority don't and plenty struggle to get by just as they do in New Zealand.

There seems to be a view here that everyone who emmigrates should then enter the country they choose as well off, no mortagage etc etc

You can just swap UK living for NZ living with the normal financial constraints that exist in both countries....

What you get in NZ is a much nicer counrty in so many ways, to live your normal life in
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
I must have missed something when we lived in the UK because it seems like everyone there had/has spare cash at the end of each month, salaries that enable everyone to live so comfortably and things are cheaper than NZ.

We were very lucky to live a middle class kind of life there but the majority don't and plenty struggle to get by just as they do in New Zealand.

There seems to be a view here that everyone who emmigrates should then enter the country they choose as well off, no mortagage etc etc

You can just swap UK living for NZ living with the normal financial constraints that exist in both countries....

What you get in NZ is a much nicer counrty in so many ways, to live your normal life in
Very true...I totally agree. Most of my friends (late 20s/30s) here in the UK are certainly not poverty stricken, but we ALL have to watch our pennies. We don't live extravagantly, things have to be planned for. Credit crunch has made a huge dent in our disposable income, or is it the 1 year old money guzzler in the next room?? ha ha
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47

Totally agree. Whilst not poor in the UK all of our 50k GBP salary went and we only had a 36k mortgage!!! We drove crappy 2nd hand cars..in the end only one..I cycled to work and did not have expensive hols OR toys. I found the UK ridiculously expensive. I honestly only ate REAL steak once every year or so..just an example of what I could not do in the UK that I do here every week.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see how pointing out that you need to work more hours at NZ wages to pay NZ bills and have the same disposable at the end of the month is a "crock", cause its pretty much spot on for almost everyone who takes an "equivalent" job here.

With the NZ $ as it is now and the GBP on the slide then we probably seem richer than we did but we know the dollar is over-cooked by at least 10-15%. Plus the whole credit cruch fallout in the UK could well cause a re-alignment of wages there versus here. But the way it was when most of us moved over here is pretty clear, NZ salaries were in the main substantially lower than those in the UK, period. Why do all these Kiwis move offshore and work their butts off for years at OE rates to come home and spend the money? If it's not mainly to do with better salaries then I respectfully suggest that you ask a few more of those who have done it/are planning to do it why they are keen to leave these shores......

Plus the benefits for employees here are pretty dire too, hell there has only been 4 weeks of annual leave for 3 years or so, the sick leave is pretty poor and other benefits for employees didn't compare in my experience.

The way that people make it work in NZ is to take the Kiwi approach - spend less, save less, make do, live more simply, hope for the best, invest in property and pray it accumulates in value.

I for one prefer this approach to life although there is a nagging doubt that it will all go to custard at some point.

But then emigrating to the other side of the world and leaving all those support structures, comforts and familiarities was never going to leave you totally doubt-free, unless you are truly coming with "rose tinted specs".
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Totally agree. Whilst not poor in the UK all of our 50k GBP salary went and we only had a 36k mortgage!!! We drove crappy 2nd hand cars..in the end only one..I cycled to work and did not have expensive hols OR toys. I found the UK ridiculously expensive. I honestly only ate REAL steak once every year or so..just an example of what I could not do in the UK that I do here every week.
I moved nearer the countryside from London, and can't afford to go to a country pub, plus they are all closing down these days anyway
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
What on earth did you spend it all on then?

We were on 50k, 100k mortgage, car was never more than 3 years old, 3 holidays a year, etc. etc., no other loans.
Apart from petrol & council tax (only just) we find everything else to be on a par or ridiculously more expensive here.
Oh, and been here 3 years & only had one holiday.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:32 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I think one issue people are forgetting is setting up a new life in a new country does mean loads of 'set up' costs. It's difficult to compare this any time in life except when you first set up your first home. I know we used to have one bean bag and one chair to sit on and one 14 inch black and white television. We slept on a matteres on the floor. Now add to this equation children and you'll see why a lot of people stuggle in the first years.

The Kiwis I see who live here also don't seem to struggle if they are on a decent wage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.