Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need cheering up!!

I need cheering up!!

Old May 23rd 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default I need cheering up!!

I've done lots of research during the last few days and after sending a few e-mails it now seems that my move to NZ will have to be postponed until 2008. I now realise that moving before then just won't be financially feasible, and to be honest, I desperately need some job experience before I go.

I'm pretty devastated to be honest. I'm more determined than ever to go but it will have to be in another 3 years time which seems like ages at the mo.

I just had to be realistic to myself as I wouldn't move to the other side of the world if I didn't think the time was right.

tottefan.
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: I need cheering up!!

Originally Posted by tottefan
I've done lots of research during the last few days and after sending a few e-mails it now seems that my move to NZ will have to be postponed until 2008. I now realise that moving before then just won't be financially feasible, and to be honest, I desperately need some job experience before I go.

I'm pretty devastated to be honest. I'm more determined than ever to go but it will have to be in another 3 years time which seems like ages at the mo.

I just had to be realistic to myself as I wouldn't move to the other side of the world if I didn't think the time was right.

tottefan.
Awww - listen - just think of it all as a time plan - every day done is a day nearer. 3 years is not so bad really, and it will wizz by! My nurse training took that long and it felt like the blink of an eye. Your just taking the first step on a journey, and at least the end is in sight, just think of it as training for the rest of your life experience here in NZ. It will all work out - and for now - you have a game plan and a future to plan. Stay sane - stay in touch and we'll all jolly you aong until the day you get on that plane to NZ.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:55 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.
Oh Tottefan

Mr Chick and I are right there with you kid. We went to the meeting in Salisbury yesterday and met a family who are flying out to Wellington this Thursday (when I'll be on a school trip with Georgina's school to London Zoo ) and most of the others are going within the next 3 months. We're sooooo jealous. Worst thing is that we could get out sooner because hubby's profession (teacher) is on the skills shortage list, but we have loads of debts to pay off and need to save for the fares and living expenses. If we had a windfall we'd apply tomorrow. I also need to find a better paying job to speed things along so trust me I know how frustrated you are. But as sunshine says, every day is one day nearer, you have a goal and a purpose, and a date however far away it is, and it means you'll be more prepared. I'm mentally storing all the info from this and other sites so we'll be well prepared (forewarned is forearmed and all that) and I suggest you do the same, and this is a great place to chat with current, past and future emigrants. We're all friends here, just keep chatting about NZ, or anything else in the light-hearted thread, and keep asking questions because believe me however far away your departure is you'll always find something new to ask, and the people on this forum are very helpful and forthcoming with answers (pm people if you don't want to start a new thread or publicly post your question). I don't know whether this will make you feel any more optimistic but I'll also send you some newbie karma. Hey Pinkie, Debs, Biddy etc. where are you? someone needs cheering up here you guys are good at that. Sunshine and I have already had a go.

80s chick
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:08 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

tottefan.
Hi tottefan,

Suggestion: have a baby!! (not yourself obviously cos you're a bloke )time races by when you have one of these! not kidding.. my little one is 2 next month, 2!!!! 2!!! i can't believe it!!! it feels like only yesterday when I was screaming in agony like her off the exorcist giving birth!! and now he's a walking, talking little person!!!

3 years is nowt and at least you'll be more experienced work wise and hopefully have some more money to go towards your new life.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:14 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Oh Tottefan

Mr Chick and I are right there with you kid. We went to the meeting in Salisbury yesterday and met a family who are flying out to Wellington this Thursday (when I'll be on a school trip with Georgina's school to London Zoo ) and most of the others are going within the next 3 months. We're sooooo jealous. Worst thing is that we could get out sooner because hubby's profession (teacher) is on the skills shortage list, but we have loads of debts to pay off and need to save for the fares and living expenses. If we had a windfall we'd apply tomorrow. I also need to find a better paying job to speed things along so trust me I know how frustrated you are. But as sunshine says, every day is one day nearer, you have a goal and a purpose, and a date however far away it is, and it means you'll be more prepared. I'm mentally storing all the info from this and other sites so we'll be well prepared (forewarned is forearmed and all that) and I suggest you do the same, and this is a great place to chat with current, past and future emigrants. We're all friends here, just keep chatting about NZ, or anything else in the light-hearted thread, and keep asking questions because believe me however far away your departure is you'll always find something new to ask, and the people on this forum are very helpful and forthcoming with answers (pm people if you don't want to start a new thread or publicly post your question). I don't know whether this will make you feel any more optimistic but I'll also send you some newbie karma. Hey Pinkie, Debs, Biddy etc. where are you? someone needs cheering up here you guys are good at that. Sunshine and I have already had a go.

80s chick
Good points 80's - always helps to have a goal and something to aim for - there's always light at the end of the tunnel.
I'll send you some Karma Totte if I'm able. Chin up
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:38 pm
pompeymike

tottefan.
I know how you feel, we decided to emigrate back in 2001 and originally applied for Australia but after my skills assessment was delayed we finally sent off our PR application in June 2002, unfortunately they didn't receive it until 3 days after my 45th birthday which made me ineligible to apply through the skills route. Our agent then suggested that the only other way we could get into OZ was by the NZ back door route, i.e. emigrate to NZ and get citizenship and hence PR in OZ. That's what we did but we now live in Christchurch NZ and would never dream of moving to OZ, we went there for a holiday last year (Melbourne) and it's just like the rat race in the UK, certainly not the life style we're looking for. It's now 2005, 4 years on and we're VERY settled in NZ - those 4 years went just like that, tottefan hang on in there, you'll be over here quicker than you can blink

Mike

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.
Get the experience and the money you need to move and if you can take the opportunity of exploring countries nearer home, maybe on long weekends which can be reasonably cheap. In that way it gets you out of any ruts and makes life more interesting and the 3 years will go much quicker.
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:53 pm
pompeymike

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Get the experience and the money you need to move and if you can take the opportunity of exploring countries nearer home, maybe on long weekends which can be reasonably cheap. In that way it gets you out of any ruts and makes life more interesting and the 3 years will go much quicker.
Great idea, don't put all your focus on NZ, just think of it as a long term ambition, in the meantime get out and about - let's face it you can get over to Europe just as cheap as anywhere else in the UK, enjoy yourself for the next couple of years and keep in touch with us here for first hand experience of emigrating to NZ.

Mike

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dave the Rave will become famous soon enoughDave the Rave will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Great idea, don't put all your focus on NZ, just think of it as a long term ambition, in the meantime get out and about - let's face it you can get over to Europe just as cheap as anywhere else in the UK, enjoy yourself for the next couple of years and keep in touch with us here for first hand experience of emigrating to NZ.

Mike
Get out and Paaaaarty, meet girls (or boys if your a girl) drink lots and think about other stuff.
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:28 pm
pompeymike

Originally Posted by Dave the Rave
Get out and Paaaaarty, meet girls (or boys if your a girl) drink lots and think about other stuff.
Go for it

Old May 23rd 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone. I worked out that I'll be in NZ in 1093 days (june 2008).

At least I'll be highly qualified when I get there - hopefully I will be a fully qualified chartered Accountant.

tottefan.
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:07 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

At least I'll be highly qualified when I get there - hopefully I will be a fully qualified chartered Accountant.

tottefan.
Bloody hell.. look at all your karma!! you work fast dontcha?
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:47 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs70
Bloody hell.. look at all your karma!! you work fast dontcha?
Sent you some Debs...can't have you falling behind now can we!!!

So who needs cheering up then...
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:50 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.
Ah, so this must be the likely candidate who needs cheering up then....

mind you most accountants I've met in my lifetime have needed cheering up!! No offense intended!

What about a working holiday...would that be any good for you? How much longer till you qualify?

What do jellybeans wear on their feet?....gumshoes
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Sent you some Debs...can't have you falling behind now can we!!!

So who needs cheering up then...
Tried sending some back.. wrote the message and it rejected me!! not sending Tottefan any.. he's been spoilt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.