Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I just don't know whether to move - HELP!!!

I just don't know whether to move - HELP!!!

Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

spoys is on a distinguished road
Default I just don't know whether to move - HELP!!!

Hi everyone - love the site and feel it gives a really balanced view rather than some 'rose-tinted' sites around.

My wife and 2 toddlers visited NZ for the first time over Xmas and loved it. My wife's sister lives in Glendowie, Auckland and is married to a Kiwi and we've always been incredibly close to them. Since returning home, we've already booked another trip to go out at the end of July and are already thinking about going out again in July 2007 aswell. With relatively cheap flights, webcams, internet, emails, text messages and cheap phone calls, it really does feel like NZ is around the corner and not on the other side of the world.

We are seriously considering whether our future, or more importantly, our kid's future lies on the other side of the world but a lot of comments on this site have made us wonder whether the life is really for us.

We have to be honest with ourselves and accept that neither of us are particularly 'outdoorsy' people. Also, we love shopping and I suppose are relatively materialistic and love regular getaways every few months - nothing too extravagant but a long weekend away somewhere like York or Wales. Also, we take the view that our jobs (I'm a solicitor and my wife is a teacher) allows us the time and financial security to afford to visit NZ every 12 - 18 months if we want to.

Our quandary is whether a move to NZ would mean a big sea change in our lives and attitudes. We know we could adapt and become Kiwis but wouldn't want to be onthe breadline and struggle to visit the UK on a regular basis. However, the overcrowding and yob culture in the UK is a major concern for us and we do fear for our children's future.

What do we do - any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just don't know whether to move - HELP!!!

Originally Posted by spoys
Hi everyone - love the site and feel it gives a really balanced view rather than some 'rose-tinted' sites around.

My wife and 2 toddlers visited NZ for the first time over Xmas and loved it. My wife's sister lives in Glendowie, Auckland and is married to a Kiwi and we've always been incredibly close to them. Since returning home, we've already booked another trip to go out at the end of July and are already thinking about going out again in July 2007 aswell. With relatively cheap flights, webcams, internet, emails, text messages and cheap phone calls, it really does feel like NZ is around the corner and not on the other side of the world.

We are seriously considering whether our future, or more importantly, our kid's future lies on the other side of the world but a lot of comments on this site have made us wonder whether the life is really for us.

We have to be honest with ourselves and accept that neither of us are particularly 'outdoorsy' people. Also, we love shopping and I suppose are relatively materialistic and love regular getaways every few months - nothing too extravagant but a long weekend away somewhere like York or Wales. Also, we take the view that our jobs (I'm a solicitor and my wife is a teacher) allows us the time and financial security to afford to visit NZ every 12 - 18 months if we want to.

Our quandary is whether a move to NZ would mean a big sea change in our lives and attitudes. We know we could adapt and become Kiwis but wouldn't want to be onthe breadline and struggle to visit the UK on a regular basis. However, the overcrowding and yob culture in the UK is a major concern for us and we do fear for our children's future.

Thanks.
personally we took the view that in say 20 yrs time we didn't want to look back on our lives a say to ourselfs ' we wish we'd tried NZ' . One of our major draws is doing it for the kids.
Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I think with your professions you could still have a very nice lifestyle in NZ so many of the downsides of being here won't effect you.
I can understand your concerns for your kids in the UK, when I occasionally read the international papers they make me happy to be here. NZ still has it's own set of unique problems though but I'm sure you're already aware of them, having family here.
You're in a really good position because you already have folk here who can guide you a little when you initially arrive.

At the end of the day only you can judge whether it will be a right move for you.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:29 pm
turkeytickler

Thanks.
Same dilema here - but having lived in NZ for 6 months we have decided its not for us and we can give our child just a full a life in the UK.... its more important that his family is stable and loving, has time to spend with them and he feels secure.

Thats all kids care about - they have no concept of this great outdoors lifestyle (which is a myth anyway)...

Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:59 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

We decided the UK was not the place we wanted to bring our kids up in. They are 8 and 1 and this was a major factor for us. We looked at several other places around the world and decided on NZ. Moved over in Sept 05 and haven't looked back. I now work for a Big 4 accounting firm and got a job over here before leaving so no money worries so far. We have just bought a house in Glendowie (move in April) and this is when financially we will have to tighten our belts but no worse than the UK. As other have said there are problems out here but the UK seemed to be falling apart from our perspective. The issues here wouldn't make the front page in the UK most of the time.

If you like time away now and then this place is great, like the UK in many ways, but not the crowds and traffic that hinders you over there. We have tried loads so far and people we speak to seem taken aback by the places we go to on 'a day trip', as they wouldn't dream of travelling 2 hrs to get somewhere for the day.

Good luck with your deliberations and you never know we may bump in to you in Glendowie some day.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sky
I think with your professions you could still have a very nice lifestyle in NZ so many of the downsides of being here won't effect you.
I can understand your concerns for your kids in the UK, when I occasionally read the international papers they make me happy to be here. NZ still has it's own set of unique problems though but I'm sure you're already aware of them, having family here.
You're in a really good position because you already have folk here who can guide you a little when you initially arrive.

At the end of the day only you can judge whether it will be a right move for you.
I agree with everything Sky has said in relation to you and the information you have offered about yourselves.
Also there is a great shopping/cafe style lifestyle to be had in Auckland as well as the outdoors to enjoy and you already have family support over here.Also with your professions you will not be on the breadline in a city such as Auckland.
Best wishes
Shazza
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:06 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
personally we took the view that in say 20 yrs time we didn't want to look back on our lives a say to ourselfs ' we wish we'd tried NZ' . One of our major draws is doing it for the kids.
Good luck
This for us was one of the biggest factors. We didn't want to be sat in our armchairs watching Eastenders with the rain bucketting down outside thinking 'I wonder what it would have been like..........?'
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:46 am
Just Joined

spoys is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your comments so far - very helpful. We're looking forward to going out again in July to see the 'Auckland winter' and to have a general look around the areas and try to get more of a feel for what it would actually be like living there. As you are all aware, it is such a difficult decision to make and not one to be made lightly.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your comments so far - very helpful. We're looking forward to going out again in July to see the 'Auckland winter' and to have a general look around the areas and try to get more of a feel for what it would actually be like living there. As you are all aware, it is such a difficult decision to make and not one to be made lightly.
Only you and your family can decide what you want to do. Good luck with your decision!

Auckland winter 2005 was very mild (apparently)... it was our first NZ winter.. it was wet and windy at times but then we had periods of beautiful sunny days...warm enough to sit outdoors in a t shirt in the sun.... we had a picnic on Piha beach back in the winter and all caught the sun. I met up with other mums with toddlers and we were able to sit outside drinking hot chocs whilst our little darlings played in the sand.... and the flowers and blossoms were stunning and smelt great too.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biddy
This for us was one of the biggest factors. We didn't want to be sat in our armchairs watching Eastenders with the rain bucketting down outside thinking 'I wonder what it would have been like..........?'

Ditto!!!!

Dave
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahB
Auckland winter 2005 was very mild (apparently)... it was our first NZ winter.. it was wet and windy at times but then we had periods of beautiful sunny days...warm enough to sit outdoors in a t shirt in the sun.... we had a picnic on Piha beach back in the winter and all caught the sun. I met up with other mums with toddlers and we were able to sit outside drinking hot chocs whilst our little darlings played in the sand.... and the flowers and blossoms were stunning and smelt great too.
OK Sarah, NOW I'm jealous...it's been so cold here!!!

Can't wait for our final letter to arrive so we can get moved!! Geez there better be some diving Instructor jobs going or I'm gonna be gutted!!

Dave
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

As you already know what kind of lifestyle you expect, ie foreign travel, shopping etc. I think you seriously need to consider how much you both can reasonably expect to earn in NZ and then factor in how much money you can take with you to set you up. Look at housing costs. Then look at how much flights back to the Uk would be to see if you can afford to do that. Also consider do your family in NZ have the money for as much foreign travel as you do?

The key to a successful migration is to be true to yourselves and your interests. It does sound like you already have a very nice life in England. Dont allow others to convince you otherwise and give it up for the wrong reasons, you could regret that decision. I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago on holiday and found it interesting how many people there have a negative attitude towards their country. I'm convinced this is in no small part to the media's fixation on sensationalising the latest terrible story. You mention crime, how much are you actually affected by this. The UK is a great country and most people in the UK have a great life but are being convinced that they are not. What I am trying to say is ensure you do your research before making any decision.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

I am sorry to have to make this comment but your urge to flee the UK is so ironic.

I don't know what type of solicitor you are, be it conveyancing or representing people in court. The latter of these professionals will now, it seems, represent anyone for a "fee". However the outrageously excessive fee to represent these low lifes, burglars, murderers, drug dealers etc almost always comes from the tax payer who it appears are legally obliged to support these people. In the main many of the criminals have actually committed the crime and everybody knows it apart from their legal team who it will appear fight tooth and nail to get them off. Never mind the victim anymore, business and lucrative amounts of cash for legal professionals is always top of their agenda.

On top of all of this is another legal professional who will also fight to his last and demand the right that of the foreign national and their family be allowed to enter this country and have access to every benefit going and our now much depleted NHS, all under the banner of the human rights act. Oh and also I believe at the expense of the tax payer again.

I am afraid that your profession has played a very big part in bringing this once great Country to it's knees, but it's laughable now that you don't like it here anymore and so ironic that you are in a fantastically wealthy and sought after position that you can leave those "low life's behind" because it doesn't appeal to the tastebuds anymore. The saying "Not in my backyard" is sounding familiar.

Sorry but it's true
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:06 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT. Enjoy what you have.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I just don't know whether to move - HELP!!!

Originally Posted by Biddy
I'm not sure what part of the UK you came from but NZ is a lot wetter than just about every part of the UK!!!

eg Driest City in UK - Ipswich 500mm of rain
Driest city in NZ - Christchurch 660mm of rain

Wettest area in England - Lake District, 3.5 metres of rain
Wettest area in NZ - West Coast - 5.5 metres of rain

Also in my experience the rain in NZ comes more in the Spring / Summer so you are either cold or you're wet.

Then on top of that there's the wind - when it's not raining it's blowing hard or sometimes it does both at the same time and you get horizontal rain.

Unlike the UK, still, calm, warm, sunny days almost never happen in NZ.

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.