Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I have a job offer

I have a job offer

Old May 14th 2007, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default I have a job offer

Hi Guys,

Back from our reccie, hence writing this at 4:30am as I'm wide awake. The trip was brilliant but hectic, have explored loads of suburbs and crossed loads of, what is it with people wanting to live in each others back gardens - no thank you.

Had interviews with 4 companies, got offers from 2, I shot the other two down early in the process they wern't me. Am negotiating now with my favourite and we're about 95% there.

So they are a registered company and my role is on the skilled shortage list. So now need to get work permit sorted.

I was looking at the NZIS site earlier and ultimatley we want to get residency, but can't wait for the process to eek out, so will go for a permit first and then apply for residency when we get there.

I noticed that it says you can apply for residency on a skilled migrant permit after 24 months, I was rather hoping to apply straight away to avoid double medical and police checks. Has anyone done this route and can advise??

So now the fun starts, getting quotes for shippers, get the dog sorted, finding somewhere when we first land, flights, paperwork, and the list goes on.
Any and all advise welcome......we are on our way

Denise
Old May 14th 2007, 3:55 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: I have a job offer

Originally Posted by Nisey
I noticed that it says you can apply for residency on a skilled migrant permit after 24 months, I was rather hoping to apply straight away to avoid double medical and police checks. Has anyone done this route and can advise??
Maybe the twenty-four month thing is for those on a work to residency visa. If you are just on a plain old work permit I see no reason why you can't put in your application for residency. NZIS is fully aware that circumstances change.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:55 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Many many congrats on the job offer, good for you!

I've been trying to find out about a "work visa" too, but am drawing a blank on the NZIS website...
Old May 14th 2007, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

Back from our reccie, hence writing this at 4:30am as I'm wide awake. The trip was brilliant but hectic, have explored loads of suburbs and crossed loads of, what is it with people wanting to live in each others back gardens - no thank you.

Had interviews with 4 companies, got offers from 2, I shot the other two down early in the process they wern't me. Am negotiating now with my favourite and we're about 95% there.

So they are a registered company and my role is on the skilled shortage list. So now need to get work permit sorted.

I was looking at the NZIS site earlier and ultimatley we want to get residency, but can't wait for the process to eek out, so will go for a permit first and then apply for residency when we get there.

So now the fun starts, getting quotes for shippers, get the dog sorted, finding somewhere when we first land, flights, paperwork, and the list goes on.
Any and all advise welcome......we are on our way

Denise
Hi Denise

Where in Wales are you from. My wife and I are from Penarth in South Wales.

Good luck with the residence application!

Paul
Old May 14th 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Looking at it, we might be better to go for residency straight off.

I can't seem to find any idea what the processing times are in London for just a work permit.

I know they pull out the pool every two weeks, and if you have a job offer your prioritised.

I can work on getting all the documents done ASAP, we applied for the Police Checks before we went away, so just the medical, and theres nothing on the list that either of us have or have had. I will have to contact the panel doctor today and see how long that will take.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Denise

Where in Wales are you from. My wife and I are from Penarth in South Wales.

Good luck with the residence application!

Paul
Hi Paul,

We are in Chepstow at the moment but used to live in Barry. Thanks for your wishes......
Old May 14th 2007, 5:22 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
I've been trying to find out about a "work visa" too, but am drawing a blank on the NZIS website...
As a veteran of multiple work visas and work permits this is my experience. The first one was pasted in by the NZ embassy in Washington DC after I submitted the job offer I had from Auckland. This was back in 2002. The employer at the time had pre-approval meaning that he did not have to show that a local Kiwi could be hired.
The following year I had to get police certs and med certs for an extension. I was going to apply for a one year extension but I mentioned to the immigration officer that I had heard that three year permits were available. She asked me if I wanted one of those and I said, 'Sure, yeah, of course.'
Third work permit was in Christchurch. In 2005 I had broken my ankle and was out of work. My wife was working as a sewing machinist and they simply made her the principle applicant and I got an open work permit. No med certs, no police checks, just a couple of hundred Kiwi dollars for visas and permits and we were good until April 2007.
January 2006 I finally quit dicking around and submitted our EOI, got selected and then took the four months to get the documents together and we were granted PR July 2006.
And that's our boring little story about permits.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Went back to bed, couldn't sleep, and thoguhts running through my mind, so got up again and put some washing on and did some more research.

Changed my mind again. The thought of not being able to make final plans for possibly three months and also not being able to submit an ITA until we get the medical done I shall go for a general work permit for up to 12 months and then apply for residency when we get there. Employer ideally wants me to start end July, if not sooner.

Only limiting factor is I couldn't find my marriage certificate and long birth certificate before we left for our trip so will have to order replacements. I must have sent it off for something, I think my daughters investment account, and I bet the gits didn't send them back and that was two years ago.

Won't need a medical, and police forms sent off three weeks ago. So once I have all the bits together I will take them down to the london office and submit, at least I'll get it all checked. I know because we'll be applying as a family I won't get a decision the same day, but from what I've read it shouldn't take long.

Any one got any ideas what evidence you need to provide to prove you have been in a stable relationship, they say a marriage certificate is not enough???

Cheers all
Old May 14th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Maybe the twenty-four month thing is for those on a work to residency visa. If you are just on a plain old work permit I see no reason why you can't put in your application for residency. NZIS is fully aware that circumstances change.
HappyNZ

Do they get upset do you think if you don't declare your intention to apply for residency when you go for an ordinary work permit.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Went back to bed, couldn't sleep, and thoguhts running through my mind, so got up again and put some washing on and did some more research.

Changed my mind again. The thought of not being able to make final plans for possibly three months and also not being able to submit an ITA until we get the medical done I shall go for a general work permit for up to 12 months and then apply for residency when we get there. Employer ideally wants me to start end July, if not sooner.

Only limiting factor is I couldn't find my marriage certificate and long birth certificate before we left for our trip so will have to order replacements. I must have sent it off for something, I think my daughters investment account, and I bet the gits didn't send them back and that was two years ago.

Won't need a medical, and police forms sent off three weeks ago. So once I have all the bits together I will take them down to the london office and submit, at least I'll get it all checked. I know because we'll be applying as a family I won't get a decision the same day, but from what I've read it shouldn't take long.

Any one got any ideas what evidence you need to provide to prove you have been in a stable relationship, they say a marriage certificate is not enough???

Cheers all
Evidence for a stable relationship:
Bills for the same address, including a mortgage or rent; holiday itineries; photos; letters to confirm your relationship from family members; letters to each other; mobile phone bills with a breakdown showing each others numbers on; errrrrrrrrrrrrr, can't think of any more. But I'm sure if you've been married for a reasnable time you should have no problems.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Winnie
Evidence for a stable relationship:
Bills for the same address, including a mortgage or rent; holiday itineries; photos; letters to confirm your relationship from family members; letters to each other; mobile phone bills with a breakdown showing each others numbers on; errrrrrrrrrrrrr, can't think of any more. But I'm sure if you've been married for a reasnable time you should have no problems.
Been married for 10 years, together for 15, never thought about having to prove it though. Thanks for the info, will have to get my thinking cap on, don't want to be sending photos, might put them off.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nisey

congratulations on the job offer.

Re your certificates, go to your local registery office and order new copies. You can get them within 48 hours so don't panic!!

Look at this for processing times

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...entrytimes.htm

HTH
Old May 14th 2007, 8:33 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

We applied after 8 months for PR with a work to residency visa. That was in 2004 but there was no problem at that time applying for it.
Old May 14th 2007, 9:55 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Nisey, many congratulations on your job offer
I'm doing the same route....work permit , then apply for residency once over there. going with PSS for removal company & Golden Arrow for dog, they have no website but plenty on here raved about them & theyre not wrong.
anyhow .....fantastic news & keep us posted.....& TRY & get some sleep !!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:23 pm

HappyNZ

Do they get upset do you think if you don't declare your intention to apply for residency when you go for an ordinary work permit.
No, of course they don't. Why should they be annoyed? They have certain guidelines to follow. All immigration wants to know is if you tick the proper boxes and submit the forms that are needed to satisfy the requirements for immigration. If they acted arbitrary and capricious it would mean heaps of appeals and more paperwork and clogging up the system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.