Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I do love a bargain!

I do love a bargain!

Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default I do love a bargain!

Just got the kids this ....

http://www.outdoortoysdirect.co.uk/P...Jungle-Climber

but I didn't pay £149.99 for it ... I paid ....

£44.99 !!! BRAND NEW from Woolworths because the BOX was damaged !!!

I MUST be able to find great bargains like that in New Zealand or i'm not moving

Michelle xx
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:56 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I do love a bargain!

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Just got the kids this ....

http://www.outdoortoysdirect.co.uk/P...Jungle-Climber

but I didn't pay £149.99 for it ... I paid ....

£44.99 !!! BRAND NEW from Woolworths because the BOX was damaged !!!

I MUST be able to find great bargains like that in New Zealand or i'm not moving

Michelle xx

Cool...my kids would have loved that when they were younger.
Have you set it up yet, you've got the weather for it anyhow!!!
Happy bargain hunting!!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Michelle xx

I really must be honest and tell you that bargains are not something
you're likely to stumble upon here. There's not enough competition
among the retailers and most of the larger stores are Australian owned.
Recently there's been an investigation into why building materials
are so extremely expensive here as compared to Australia, and most
of the building and home rennovation supplies you'll likely get will
be from an Australian owned concern. Seems like they make a policy
of charging NZers more simply because they can get away with it.

There is NZ owned store called The Wharehouse, but they sell mostly shoddy
goods at low prices, but not really low enough for what you get.
K-Mart is a little better, but still not something to get excited about.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:30 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I really must be honest and tell you that bargains are not something
you're likely to stumble upon here. There's not enough competition
among the retailers and most of the larger stores are Australian owned.
Recently there's been an investigation into why building materials
are so extremely expensive here as compared to Australia, and most
of the building and home rennovation supplies you'll likely get will
be from an Australian owned concern. Seems like they make a policy
of charging NZers more simply because they can get away with it.

There is NZ owned store called The Wharehouse, but they sell mostly shoddy
goods at low prices, but not really low enough for what you get.
K-Mart is a little better, but still not something to get excited about.
The Warehouse, shoddy goods??? WHAT?! The Warehouse is like a Church for me, its something that we should all take a moment to pray to. Its awesome, there are some great things in there. OK, there's some not so great stuff, but your'll get that anywhere. The Warehouse is probably one of the best things in NZ. (Except the views, mountains, and all that of course!!). There's also trademe.co,nz, I've found some real beauties on there. I'm quickly furnishing my 5 bedroom house with nearly new stuff or from companies that are just starting out and make beautiful things. I'm very lucky, never thought of myself as a bargain hunter myself. Because of the big expat population, people are always moving and you can usually find a lot of people that have taken really good care of their stuff. So fear not, there is something for everyone here. Remember, The Warehouse - Where everyone gets a bargain - a full money back guarantee!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:09 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Littletoe
The Warehouse, shoddy goods??? WHAT?! The Warehouse is like a Church for me, its something that we should all take a moment to pray to. Its awesome, there are some great things in there. OK, there's some not so great stuff, but your'll get that anywhere. The Warehouse is probably one of the best things in NZ. (Except the views, mountains, and all that of course!!). There's also trademe.co,nz, I've found some real beauties on there. I'm quickly furnishing my 5 bedroom house with nearly new stuff or from companies that are just starting out and make beautiful things. I'm very lucky, never thought of myself as a bargain hunter myself. Because of the big expat population, people are always moving and you can usually find a lot of people that have taken really good care of their stuff. So fear not, there is something for everyone here. Remember, The Warehouse - Where everyone gets a bargain - a full money back guarantee!
I'm with Littletoe on this one. The warehouse is great for a bargain and their stuff certainly isnt shoddy. Obviously your gonna get some crap in there for the price but the majority of it is pretty good. Nothing wrong with the warehouse at all! Give it a go.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
There's also trademe.co,nz, I've found some real beauties on there.
I'm a bit of a Trademe addict at the moment, got a beautiful little Next outfit for DD this week and just bought her some more clothes from there today.

We have bought garden tools from Trademe... other bits and bobs too... and my horse was on Trademe too.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:28 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
I'm with Littletoe on this one. The warehouse is great for a bargain and their stuff certainly isnt shoddy. Obviously your gonna get some crap in there for the price but the majority of it is pretty good. Nothing wrong with the warehouse at all! Give it a go.
I would suggest you get what you pay for at The warehouse - you buy cheap, you get cheap. Some things are quite OK to be bought cheap, others, you need to pay a bit more for. I have returned several items as they broke within days but never had a problem getting my money back. We bought a parasol for the patio table and it broke as we tried to put it up the first time. When Steve went to take it back, they were on half-price offer, so we bought another one the same and it has survived all summer and some pretty strong winds. A sleeping bag zip broke the first night it was used, but again, keep the receipt and return is no problem. Melissa's neoprene type swimsuit has done really well for a fraction of the cost of a brand name. I still buy items there (listen to me, been here all of 6 months, make it sound like years!) but I am now more selctive in what I buy.