HRV system

Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:20 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default HRV system

Just had a twin system fitted and withing 2 days we have bone dru double glazing, even the aluminium is dry , and the tempature has evened out throughout the whole house and at 220m3 thats awseome, only had the fire on a couple of times , and even on cold days the roof space is 24-28 deg and that heat gets brought down by the system ,money well spent .
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HRV system

Clever bit of kit! http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...PUBMAg&dur=635 has your electric bill gone up?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:54 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Not had a power bill yet , there is noheating element like the one we had in town, the kids played with the controller on the wall and put the heat setting on max, our bill went from $100 to $380 arrghh thats why we opted for this type , we had double glazing retro fitted 2 years ago and the windows still misted up and as aluminium is cold they dripped with water , also the bedrooms still got condensation , thats the main thing we wanted this system for , to dry the house out , and touch wood, its done what it said it would do ! windows are bone dry and house is warmer, we notice that when there is excess heat in the loft , it turns the fans up high to bring the air down quicker, but all we do is adjust the temp on controller and the fans stop , probably turn it off in summer , mainly want it for winter .

The fans run of the light circuit and are very low voltage , so who knows what the bill will be like, as long as house is dry and healthier .
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like you're on a winner. Fans don't take much current anyway. You are well on the way to having one of these! ... http://www.aecb.net/passivhaustrust/...assivhaus.html
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Very pleased to read that as we're having it fitted on Monday
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:55 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

hey foolerfish, I'm glad for you that your system works, or at least you feel it's working...........BUT..........and I say but here because i'm interested partly because it's trade related and partly because I was one of the first w/e volunteers at CAT and have had a 'green' interest all my life..........BUT.......people please be warned there is a heap of physo science around this whole HRV type of heating/ventilation.

Firstly if anyone has bothered to have a look at Passivhaus website site you will have noticed that in order for any heat recovery system to work you will have to
Have high levels of insulation
Extremely high performance windows
airtight building fabric
thermal bridge free construction

they folks this is NZ. You'd be lucky if your average house had just two of those items.

But that's not to say thermal recovery doesn't work.. It does in the right circumstances and sadly in most NZ house these just don't exist.

Most companies have sales people reading facts and figures from a sales brochure. Just please beware and check it out as best you can before parting with a lot of your well earned dollars.

Not long after we came here I installed a heat recovery system. It cost me just over a grand, (trade), and I couldn't see how it would work given the materials used and the distance and the type of fan.

I measured the temp at the take off point and at the outlet. In general there was a 50-60% thermal loss in transit - meaning all I was doing was in fact heating the loft! I changed the fans and reduced that loss to just about 50%, I insulated the transfer ducting and saved another 5% and I could have gone on, but by then I realised that I'd spent another K on new bits.

This can be a money pit for unweary - just be advised folks
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Well our system has been in a day now and already the condensation has gone from the windows, which is the main reason we had it. Time will tell if we get any further benefits.