Howdydoodlydoo

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:38 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Howdydoodlydoo

Hi all

Have recently crawled over here from the Canada forum after five years of waiting....waiting....and,oh,more waiting.... before the Canadian govt decided they weren't going to bother processing our application (long, tedious story much repeated elsewhere)

Anyway, when we first looked at emigrating from the UK NZ was our first choice but we didn't meet the criteria so opted for Canada. In the intervening years I kept busy building my career, did a degree and a diploma and lo and behold appear to have increased my points for NZ somewhat.

All I need now is a job offer to get me the few extra points I need to bump me over 140. My job in the UK has an identical job description in NZ, plus I have found out I can apply without residence and if I'm successful may be offered a job 'in principle' while I apply.

I am aware that there will be many flaws in this plan and anticipate having these pointed out - which I hope will be useful.

I have no expectations or agenda in emigrating, other than getting the chance to live and work somewhere different. We have already done this in the UK.

Foofarfish - if you don't mind I may well PM you about your experiences with corrections.

I look forward to getting to know you all

Jo
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howdydoodlydoo

Welcome Jo,

Not everyone that manages to get over here have job offers, it is do'able without if you have the right skill set on the EOI.

How do your points add up?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:06 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks MrsFychan

As far as I can work out my points are as follows:

8 years work exp (skilled emp list A) - 25
Level 4-6 plus level 7-8 qualification - 90 (50 if I can only count one of them)
Age - 20

So that's either 135 or 95 dependent on the qualification points

With a job offer I get another 50 plus a possible further 10 if the job is outside Auckland.

If my points count is 135 I could wait another 2 years for the additional 5 work exp points, but would rather not if I don't have to

Any comments or observations appreciated
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:26 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo
Unfortunately you can only claim points for one qualification so your points total would be 95. You would need a job offer just to be able to submit an EOI.
Depending on what you do or want to do it may not be easy to get a job offer without being here in NZ. I take it your job or interest lies somewhere in the prison system though this could cover a number of different occupations [I'm assuming criminal isn't one of them!]
What is it you do? Not just being nosy-it may bring up some options you haven't thought of yet.
But yes it does look like getting a job offer is going to be your best bet
P
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:52 am
BE gremlin

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hi Jo
Unfortunately you can only claim points for one qualification so your points total would be 95. You would need a job offer just to be able to submit an EOI.
Depending on what you do or want to do it may not be easy to get a job offer without being here in NZ. I take it your job or interest lies somewhere in the prison system though this could cover a number of different occupations [I'm assuming criminal isn't one of them!]
What is it you do? Not just being nosy-it may bring up some options you haven't thought of yet.
But yes it does look like getting a job offer is going to be your best bet
P
Thank Persephone, very useful

I am a Probation Officer, I looked at the dept of corrections website and it says they welcome overseas applicants and will consider those who need a job offer to meet the immigration criteria

How likely it is that I will actually get an offer I don't know but thought it was worth a shot
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:33 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to stop you sending off a CV or applying for jobs to see what comes up. It depends on how easy it is for them to recruit at the moment.
It doesn't look like the Dept of Corrections is an accredited employer either which would have allowed you to get a WTR visa.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:49 am
BE gremlin

Nothing to stop you sending off a CV or applying for jobs to see what comes up. It depends on how easy it is for them to recruit at the moment.
It doesn't look like the Dept of Corrections is an accredited employer either which would have allowed you to get a WTR visa.
I did look at the WTR visa - never mind I'll take what I can get

The world didn't fall off it's axis when we realised we weren't going to Canada, I'm sure the same will apply here. At least the NZ govt won't keep us hanging on for five years before telling us to jog on!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:58 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by T-Pot
I did look at the WTR visa - never mind I'll take what I can get

The world didn't fall off it's axis when we realised we weren't going to Canada, I'm sure the same will apply here. At least the NZ govt won't keep us hanging on for five years before telling us to jog on!
No they won't, you can either apply or you can't and it's fairly easy to see whether you qualify for any particular visa or not.
Your problem is getting a job. Hopefully Fooferfish will be able to help you out a little there.
You said 'our' a couple of times in your first post. Where does the OH stand-any quals, work experience etc? Would he/she stand a better chance of being the main applicant?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:37 am
BE gremlin

No they won't, you can either apply or you can't and it's fairly easy to see whether you qualify for any particular visa or not.
Your problem is getting a job. Hopefully Fooferfish will be able to help you out a little there.
You said 'our' a couple of times in your first post. Where does the OH stand-any quals, work experience etc? Would he/she stand a better chance of being the main applicant?
No, bless him - no quals to speak of and although he has plenty of work experience it's not on the 'skilled' list
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi T-Pot, I work for dept of corrections. If you want to PM me with more details of areas you want to live in etc.... I will give you what info I can
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:46 am
BE gremlin

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi T-Pot, I work for dept of corrections. If you want to PM me with more details of areas you want to live in etc.... I will give you what info I can
Cool, thanks Boopy