Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to tell the in-laws we're not coming

How to tell the in-laws we're not coming

Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to tell the in-laws we're not coming

What a week. My Daughter turned 5, I made the mistake of asking her UK aunty to send a card. WWIII erupted. I got abuse left right and centre from chav central. I think my niece stopped pouting long enough to call me several expletives.

So, we've decided not to visit the UK in the near future. We can pay for my parents-in-law, but they've been sick so won't commit.

How do we break the news to them? Help?
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:18 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to tell the in-laws we're not coming

? sorry not to clear. have you told them you would be over and when?

Are you parents long term ill? If not then say you would like them to come over and see for themselves the place you living so they can picture it better when you talk about things
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mrs F. We were meant to go for a visit next year. But we've decided not to.

In-laws have visited several times, but are now too ill.

We have to break the news that we are not coming next year. We cant afford it and to be honest we don't want to. Bad daughter-in-law.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
Sorry Mrs F. We were meant to go for a visit next year. But we've decided not to.

In-laws have visited several times, but are now too ill.

We have to break the news that we are not coming next year. We cant afford it and to be honest we don't want to. Bad daughter-in-law.
Just keep to the fact the GFC has hit home, or perhaps use mine "Flights are all booked out, except first class - you don't mind paying??"
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Just keep to the fact the GFC has hit home, or perhaps use mine "Flights are all booked out, except first class - you don't mind paying??"
I'lltry that. Will it keep a pouting, black eye-browed 20 year old off my back?
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:03 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to strike while the iron is hot if that's helping you keep your nerve. Or, calm down until you can say your piece so that it doesn't degenerate into (another) slanging match over the phone.

Unrelated anecdote: My Dad turned 70 last year, in June. My sister had arranged a big deal party for him (in my Dad's local pub - nuff said.) She invited me, with plenty of notice.

Anyway, I declined as my husband turned 50 last year and we travelled out of NZ for a week for his birthday in September.

We couldn't afford to do both and didn't really want to travel to Britain (at my sister's request but our expense) in June, then also go scuba diving in September.

My sister just about managed to send a grudging birthday card to my husband, IIRC with no reference to his milestone year. Point taken.

We turned up in NZ in 2011, returning for a visit less than 18 months later to suit somebody else wasn't really going to happen.

Genuine emergencies, ok. Not birthday parties.

My sister has also asked me if she can give the twenty quid I sent her husband for his birthday last year to her children. 'We can still do the birthday thing' is what she said. 'The birthday thing' since when did the straightforward birthday present giving/receiving become the 'birthday thing' ? There's no reasoning with her. It's just easier to be pragmatic.

I've sent my niece who turned 17 in August and my nephew who is 20 next week a card and small present irrespective of the fact that I now live in NZ. I've only ever had a birthday card from them, but, that's the way it is.

Not sure when to call, 'time' on this birthday present giving to my UK niece and nephew, I have a feeling it won't be long.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 5th 2013 at 9:15 am. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you can't afford it just say so.

as for your niece just tell her to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt brat and live in the real world where not everything you want you get without working for it, and you will visit when you are able to and not when demanded
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

And if she can go one minute without pouting.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
You might want to strike while the iron is hot if that's helping you keep your nerve. Or, calm down until you can say your piece so that it doesn't degenerate into (another) slanging match over the phone.

Unrelated anecdote: My Dad turned 70 last year, in June. My sister had arranged a big deal party for him (in my Dad's local pub - nuff said.) She invited me, with plenty of notice.

Anyway, I declined as my husband turned 50 last year and we travelled out of NZ for a week for his birthday in September.

We couldn't afford to do both and didn't really want to travel to Britain (at my sister's request but our expense) in June, then also go scuba diving in September.

My sister just about managed to send a grudging birthday card to my husband, IIRC with no reference to his milestone year. Point taken.

We turned up in NZ in 2011, returning for a visit less than 18 months later to suit somebody else wasn't really going to happen.

Genuine emergencies, ok. Not birthday parties.

My sister has also asked me if she can give the twenty quid I sent her husband for his birthday last year to her children. 'We can still do the birthday thing' is what she said. 'The birthday thing' since when did the straightforward birthday present giving/receiving become the 'birthday thing' ? There's no reasoning with her. It's just easier to be pragmatic.

I've sent my niece who turned 17 in August and my nephew who is 20 next week a card and small present irrespective of the fact that I now live in NZ. I've only ever had a birthday card from them, but, that's the way it is.

Not sure when to call, 'time' on this birthday present giving to my UK niece and nephew, I have a feeling it won't be long.

Stop!! Stop sending them presents. They are like my nieces and nephews. Bloody ungrateful. Don't indulge them anymore.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if you can't afford it just say so.

as for your niece just tell her to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt brat and live in the real world where not everything you want you get without working for it, and you will visit when you are able to and not when demanded
That's my 'lovely' niece. Such a nice girl.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Such a nasty pouty piece of ...... whatever.

Good news, spoke to the in-laws, told them we're not coming. If they want to come, we'll pay - far cheaper.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Stop!! Stop sending them presents. They are like my nieces and nephews. Bloody ungrateful. Don't indulge them anymore.
My husband has told me the self same thing. To the point that, this very morning, I have said to him that I will sent my niece a present next year for her 18th Birthday as that's what her brother got.

When my nephew turns 21 next year that's when, 'just a card' will start.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We've got one of those each. I'll match a niece & niece-in-law and raise you the worst of a sister & sister-in-law. We divorced the lot of them.

Mr BEVS goes back to see his Mum ( too elderly to travel here) & other extended family members but doesn't bother with that pair. He would be civil but won't engage.

Shame when it gets like that really.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We've got one of those each. I'll match a niece & niece-in-law and raise you the worst of a sister & sister-in-law. We divorced the lot of them.

Shame when it gets like that really.
Hehe not alone! Divorced mother and sister...well actually they divorced us! Can't say I've missed them for the last 8 years
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
My husband has told me the self same thing. To the point that, this very morning, I have said to him that I will sent my niece a present next year for her 18th Birthday as that's what her brother got.

When my nephew turns 21 next year that's when, 'just a card' will start.
We stopped at 18. Apparently, that has been a major cause of the latest ructions. I'm confused. We send the kids 20 pounds at xmas, and 30 pounds for birthdays. We sent a very special piece of jewellery for the niece's 18th. Haven't ever received a xmas card, birthday card, email or phone call from them. Not even a card for our daughter's 5th birthday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.