Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How safe do you guys feel?

How safe do you guys feel?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default How safe do you guys feel?

As a Police Officer i am very suspicious of official stats so i will steer away from them

How safe do you guys feel in NZ, I know it will largely depend on location but you can get a much better feel from normal people who are subject to crime or know friends who have been victims.

From what i can gather road safety sucks out there so im talking about aquisative crime, Street robbery, vehicle Crime and House burglary

I see most housing seems to be on one level with lots of possible points of entry

Do you feel safe walking about town at night do you feel confident enough to let your kids play out

Regards
Wilester
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe do you guys feel?

Originally Posted by Wilester
As a Police Officer i am very suspicious of official stats so i will steer away from them

How safe do you guys feel in NZ, I know it will largely depend on location but you can get a much better feel from normal people who are subject to crime or know friends who have been victims.

From what i can gather road safety sucks out there so im talking about aquisative crime, Street robbery, vehicle Crime and House burglary

I see most housing seems to be on one level with lots of possible points of entry

Do you feel safe walking about town at night do you feel confident enough to let your kids play out

Regards
Wilester
Usually feel safe wandering around welly at nights, well as safe as you can in any city, probably feels more safe than Edinburgh.

And I know a few folks who have been broken into over the last few years but that is few and far between.

The only vehicle crime I see on a daily basis is the number of Holdens and Fords on the road, which is surely criminal
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:46 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Wilester
Feel very safe here, often forget to lock up house at night and my car often left open at home. There is crime here obviously and driving standards are awful but safety where we live has never been any kind of an issue. I manage a restaurant/cafe/bar and cycle to and from work every day often around midnight and I thouroughly enjoy the ride home, sometimes I walk (25 mins) cos I like it
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

I feel quite safe where I live. My daughter and I quite often walk the streets at 9pm with the dogs and have not had a problem. In fact the only people we tend to see are other dog walkers.

I let the girls (14 and 16) go to and from the mall on the bus without me with them. In the UK there was no way I would let them go on a bus anywhere. I wont let them travel alone as you stll have to be careful and I do remind them that there are 'bad' people around, but we are most certainly more relaxed about things.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

One thing ive noticed about Auckland is that in town on a Friday Saturday night there is no gangs of lads knocking around drunk getting in bars etc. Feels really good on a weekend night and bouncers are generally strict.
The only gang knocking about is usually us guys but we are harmless.

In Devonport on the north shore you can leave your door open and you rarely see the police they might pop down for a cruise past at 8pm and thats it. Never seen or heard of any issues. Odd drunk catching the ferry and thats it.

The driving seems so bad over here because its single lanes generally without central res. And the drivers are poor. I also have noticed a bit of a drink drive culture, its fairly acceptable ish compared to what we are used to, police are more bothered about you doing 4kph above speed limit than catching drunks
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

south auckland is a different story however
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Wilester
I feel very, very safe generally. One of the reasons for getting out of central Northampton was because of the stupid levels of violence and general crime. Alas that is not the case when I am in a car...the driving standards are awful here.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

I feel much safer than I did in Glasgow,and my kids have more freedom here as I am not worried about them as much.They can go off and play for hours and I am not fretting about where they are. Every 10 mins back in Scotland I had to know where they were. And as for going to the corner shop,no chance. Here they get to go to the dairy with their mates which is a fair walk away and over a "main" road. Main reason we came here to be honest was to let them be kids.

I am a nurse and often work until 2300 at night. I feel safe walking to my car even on a weekend night with the students running about the place,they are usually friendly drunks! Our cars are often left unlocked in the driveway and I pop in to the neighbours for a cuppa and leave the house unlocked......would never do that back in Scotland.I am sure that there are crimes and criminals about,but not to the same extent as in Scotland IMHO. So yes,I feel safe here.

Phyl x
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You can walk round almost any car park and see a multitude of sat nav,s and mobile phones on display they never seem to get touched

Neil
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

I came over from Shropshire just down the road from you and am living North shore, Auckland now.
Our children are 11 and 13 and I give them freedom I wouldn't have dreamed of in the UK. It is definitley safer than my experiences of Worcershire and on a different level
I have seen no serious crime or signs of nighttime activity!
House crime does not seem a problem and people are able to be very trusting. Few petty things reported locally but nothing large scale
Obviously there are sussy areas in NZ but easy to avoid them
I couldn't believe the lack of graffiti when I arrived in Auckland!!! There also does not seem to be the culture of groups hanging around with alcohol in hand. Lots of signs are up banning it on the beaches etc and you don't see evidence of it although I understand NZ has a drink problem.
I know I am different here and did expect the worse but I don't find driving too bad and drivers are far more tolerant than in the UK...they actually let you in!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Wilester
Is this a serious question ?? every house has various points of entry regardless or one or two levels ...

Doors, windows, conservatory ... the list goes on, if somebody wants to break into a house they will break in regardless of entry points
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

I see your point but I suspect the thinking is that the houses do tend to have many more "entries" for garden access etc...think on the long sunny summers. We certainly have two access points round the back that would be seen as bulgular points in the UK! Bungalows do have more windows on the ground floor too!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: How safe do you guys feel?

Here in Dannemora Howick I feel sooo much safer than I did back in London .The kids have much more freedom and I dont worry quite so much about them here if they are going to see friends who live further afield .Of course there is bad everywhere but if you use your common sense NZ is or at least feels alot safer to me .
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Is this a serious question ?? every house has various points of entry regardless or one or two levels ...

Doors, windows, conservatory ... the list goes on, if somebody wants to break into a house they will break in regardless of entry points
Is this a serious answer??

I am assuming you feel safe then

in relation to my seriousness i can assure my jokes are bad you would notice
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:30 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Ditto to everything posted above. My eldest makes his own way to and from school everyday - on the bus, skateboarding , walking... whatever the gang are doing, with no probs at all. i leave my car unlocked at night more often than not basically because I've got out of the habit of locking it.. I do wish someone would pinch it though 'cos its playing up at the mo
Its probably due to where people live I would guess as there is crime about, just read the papers to see evidence, but re-iterating what Rason said earlier, whenever I've been out Fri/sat night I've yet to see any trouble or even feel that something may kick off .. friday / saturday night in Mansfield UK unfortunately a totally different story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.