Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How is overall Health care in NZ?

How is overall Health care in NZ?

Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of
Default How is overall Health care in NZ?

I saw the dentist query the other day but what about the rest of the body?

My 4 yr old and I wear glasses - should we stock up on spare pairs before we head out to NZ? My 4 yr old gets free specs just now - and not these awful pink plastic ones I was forced to wear - will she get free specs in NZ?

Also will we have to pay for eye tests? If so, how much?

Daughter attends the eye clinic every couple of months, does NZ have a comparable NHS system in operation as the UK? Is it just visits to the doctor and prescriptions that you pay for and hospital treatment is free?

There seems to be a discrepancy between prescription charges too - is there a set fee as we have here in the UK?

What if, in the future I need hospital care or surgery - is there waiting lists like in the UK?

So many questions and so little time (supposed to be working! )

All medical answers very much appreciated
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How is overall Health care in NZ?

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
I saw the dentist query the other day but what about the rest of the body?

My 4 yr old and I wear glasses - should we stock up on spare pairs before we head out to NZ? My 4 yr old gets free specs just now - and not these awful pink plastic ones I was forced to wear - will she get free specs in NZ?

Also will we have to pay for eye tests? If so, how much?

Daughter attends the eye clinic every couple of months, does NZ have a comparable NHS system in operation as the UK? Is it just visits to the doctor and prescriptions that you pay for and hospital treatment is free?

There seems to be a discrepancy between prescription charges too - is there a set fee as we have here in the UK?

What if, in the future I need hospital care or surgery - is there waiting lists like in the UK?

So many questions and so little time (supposed to be working! )

All medical answers very much appreciated
Can't help much as avoid the doctors like the plague!

Dentists - we all got check ups before we left the UK. 2 eldest both have braces and its taken us 2 months to get an appointment here with an orthodontist. Plus we were told they didn't need to bring any records with them from the UK - this is NOT the case. They should have brought their records, xrays and even moulds - ewww?

Glasses - one daughter and I got new glasses before we left the UK, infact mine got delayed so Boots Opticians gave me a 20% refund and posted them out to NZ for me - I was very impressed! I have enough contact lenses for 6 months and daughter had to get more contact lenses here which turned out to be cheaper than in the UK as they are from Oz!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky g here
as i,ve said, have been to both doctors and dentist since being here...

dentist,great treatment,better than uk but more expensive....for example ...root treatment $1.500....would n ot have cost that back homeeven if i had gone private....

doctors not so happy with...my first visit to doctors with cough,they gave me inhaler and steroids oh and anti hystamines....doctors back home would not hand out inhalers or steroids that easy....especially since there is no history of asma in my family....took 3 visits before they gave me anti biotics..

as for hospitals,we got health insurance...emergency treatment ifs free.but x rays and ultrasounds are all chargable...so you are better to cover yourself..
we used southern cross ,they seem to have quite a good name..for family of 4 we are about $170 a month,but oh works in health service so that is discounted rates..

saw a sign for opticians today,
eye test,frames and lenses $199 don,t know if thats good or bad..
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just paid $75.00 for an eye test
And $600 for the lenses and frames, they are designer glasses though
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:13 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't actually needed to go to optician yet but was told by local real estate woman in Tauranga on our recce that eye check up and glasses would be in the region of $800.

I think it costs $50 or so each visit to doctor (GP) or thereabouts, but again, that's only what I've been told - not had to go yet ourselves.

Kids have free school dentist. But Orthodontic work - braces etc can cost thousands of dollars.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:28 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Haven't actually needed to go to optician yet but was told by local real estate woman in Tauranga on our recce that eye check up and glasses would be in the region of $800.

I think it costs $50 or so each visit to doctor (GP) or thereabouts, but again, that's only what I've been told - not had to go yet ourselves.

Kids have free school dentist. But Orthodontic work - braces etc can cost thousands of dollars.
Oh Joy, have 2 off to the orthodontist tomorrow ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Buy your eyeglasses online. You will get excellent eyeglasses at a fraction of the price of what you would pay the optician. I wear progressive lenses and I was quoted a price of over NZ$700 for frames and lenses. Ridiculous, I thought. I did a search online and ordered my eyeglasses online and paid a total of US$68.75 including shipping. The wait was only about ten days, the same as what the optician's would have made me wait.
So yeah, avoid the middle man and go to the source. The retail mark-up on eyeglasses is ridiculous. Save your money.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:51 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Buy your eyeglasses online.
thats brilliant! you wouldnt happen to have the link would you ?? thanks
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Doctors visit costs to go down?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend health insurance, the only reason for getting it is to jump the queue really. I was referred to the hospital, two months later, I'm still waiting and so I am in quite a bit of discomfort while I wait. Had I have had insurance, I could have been in and out in less than a month. My daughter will need grommets, without insurance we're looking at anywhere near six months wait, with insurance - less than two weeks. This is just my recent experience. Hope it helps!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
saw a sign for opticians today,
eye test,frames and lenses $199 don,t know if thats good or bad..
That's almost too good to believe.
Couldn't get over how expensive glasses are here, and no 2 for 1 offers

Gill
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

jacky g here

just got our policy through for health insurance yesterday,to be honest its not really worth it,we took the wellbeing two cover with southern cross,which is the better cover

it doesn't seem to cover you for all expenses,you only get up to a maximum amount per consultaion,and its not much...

your x rays and diagnostic procedures ,they only pay out a certain amount per year,so if you have an x ray in a year..god help you if you need another one

there seems to be a lot of clauses that they can catch you out on,
were thinking about cancelling,if we were back home we would have to wait for any hospital treatment there anyway....

any procedures you need done through a&e your not covered for
be better putting money in bank and saving it up....
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Do you have to pay for A & E treatment?!

My 4yr old attends the eye clinic at the local hospital in Glasgow - would we have to pay for similar in NZ?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oh Joy, have 2 off to the orthodontist tomorrow ...
I have had braces fitted since being here - top and bottom, 18 months worth of work, appointments every 8 weeks, all hardware covered -$5700 - able to pay it on a monthly scheme though
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

a&e is free but i think x rays are not included,you have to pay..i think?

oh works in health service ,he can't seem to find out whats free and whats not,no one seems to know

our insurance does not cover any dentistry,beginning to think its a bit of a joke..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.