Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much money is enough when emigrating?

How much money is enough when emigrating?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

SHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really niceSHAZMARK is just really nice
Default How much money is enough when emigrating?

Hi All

Was just wondering how much money will be enough to live a good life in NZ.

£90,000 is what we will have to buy a house(with Mortgage) and other essentials.

Do you need two incomes or can you manage on one?

Any info appreciated

Ta

Mark
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

clarecarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money is enough when emigrating?

I think it depends on what your income will be! We were thinking of bringing quite a bit more than that over - after the sale of our house...

Hi All

Was just wondering how much money will be enough to live a good life in NZ.

£90,000 is what we will have to buy a house(with Mortgage) and other essentials.

Do you need two incomes or can you manage on one?

Any info appreciated

Ta

Mark[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:36 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on your life style, whether you want a studio or a 6bedroom penthouse or a castle...

It depends on more n more...
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:47 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matewx
It depends on your life style, whether you want a studio or a 6bedroom penthouse or a castle...

It depends on more n more...
There is no such thing as having enough money in my view.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
There is no such thing as having enough money in my view.
How very true
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said, it does depend on your salary, Plus where you are planning on living, how big your mortgage will be, how many children you have, what sort of living you want, how many cars, etc.......
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

We got seriously shafted on the sale of our house , so we are coming over with just enough to buy a car, pay first two months' rent and bills and rental deposit, and buy essentials to keep us going until our container arrives.

There's me, hubby and two dogs, and I will be on a salary of $70,000. Hubby will be looking for work (despite hinting that he quite fancies being a house-husband )

It will just have to be enough.

Or we can't come

I talked to another couple, who came to Blenheim from the UK on a shoestring budget, and they never looked back. It can be done
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75
We got seriously shafted on the sale of our house , so we are coming over with just enough to buy a car, pay first two months' rent and bills and rental deposit, and buy essentials to keep us going until our container arrives.

There's me, hubby and two dogs, and I will be on a salary of $70,000. Hubby will be looking for work (despite hinting that he quite fancies being a house-husband )

It will just have to be enough.

Or we can't come

I talked to another couple, who came to Blenheim from the UK on a shoestring budget, and they never looked back. It can be done
Us too...got enough to keep us going and a deposit for a house when we buy. Salary $75 ish and hubby will be getting a job....lol. Hope it can be done, cos thats what we are doing.

Last edited by Numptyhead; Aug 10th 2009 at 6:35 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I know backpackers that have come to Australia or NZ with very little money - years later in good jobs with nice houses.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:52 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: How much money is enough when emigrating?

Originally Posted by sr71
I know backpackers that have come to Australia or NZ with very little money - years later in good jobs with nice houses.
we also will be coming on a shoe-string. But hey, its what we make of it and I think that if you do not try and live beyond your means you will make it and be very happy indeed, anyone agree????
I also think it will make us a family work hard to get what we want and keep it that way (well that is my hope) lol.
Tina.x
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Us too...got enough to keep us going and a deposit for a house when we buy. Salary $75 ish and hubby will be getting a job....lol. Hope it can be done, cos thats what we are doing.
Why is my salary only $50,000 and yours is $75,000 Well Jealous now If Rob saw that he would want me to earn that much, then he can stay on golf course (in his bloomin' dreams) Bevissa xxx
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Why is my salary only $50,000 and yours is $75,000 Well Jealous now If Rob saw that he would want me to earn that much, then he can stay on golf course (in his bloomin' dreams) Bevissa xxx
My basic is $60,150 but that is with no shift allowances and weekend work. They suggest that I will earn about $15k on top. My basic will be more because of the extra years service. I've been qualified 6 years.
Just finishing covering letter and will then pop to the sorting office and post the ITA...in about half an hour. Can't believe the day had finally come
xx
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

wow, I wish we had £90000 to take with us!

We are hoping to move next March (assuming all goes to plan) and I expect we will have ~£10 000 to actually bring with us - after forking out thousands for shipping, flights, bloody cat, leaving party, etc.

I hope I'll have a job before heading over - which I think should give me a salary of $60-70 000. OH is also liking the look of being a house-hubby

We don't have any kids, so are hoping we'll manage.

Well, a nice pointless post from me there, but nevermind
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
:Just finishing covering letter and will then pop to the sorting office and post the ITA...in about half an hour. Can't believe the day had finally come
xx
Did you post it then????
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

clarecarr is an unknown quantity at this point

what company are you using to take your rather cute cat? we have a gorgeous tabby and he will cost about £1400, after all the vet stuff! I have no idea what I am going to earn - but I think it will be pants compared to the uk

clare x

Originally Posted by shelloid
wow, I wish we had £90000 to take with us!

We are hoping to move next March (assuming all goes to plan) and I expect we will have ~£10 000 to actually bring with us - after forking out thousands for shipping, flights, bloody cat, leaving party, etc.

I hope I'll have a job before heading over - which I think should give me a salary of $60-70 000. OH is also liking the look of being a house-hubby

We don't have any kids, so are hoping we'll manage.

Well, a nice pointless post from me there, but nevermind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.