British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How much does it cost to Live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-much-does-cost-live-491457/)

Moomoo Nov 3rd 2007 6:58 pm

How much does it cost to Live?

Mr Moomoo- still doing sums to work out if job offer is OK and whether to accept and join you all!!

I have done a guestimate monthly budget based on previous posts- I have deducted income tax using the tax calculator. Please feel free to comment if I have missed anything or have seriously underestimated any costs. (There will be five or us coming 2 adults and 3 children and possibly 4 dogs!!).

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Life & Income Protection Insurance NZD 0.00 (incl with job)
Medical Insurance NZD 100.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
woof and rego (2 cars) NZD 50.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
House Insurance NZD 50.00
Car Park (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Professional Fees (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
Bank Account Fees NZD 10.00
NZD 6,660.00

I have also assumed I will not qualify for children's or working tax credit

Any comments would be most welcome..

Mr Moomoo

Pete n Shell Nov 3rd 2007 8:29 pm

Re: How much does it cost to Live?

Where are you planning to live?

Some of those figures may just be under others over but balance themselves out.
One thing you forgot is House Contents Insurance totally seperate from House Insurance of which your probably a bit low on.

zoej Nov 3rd 2007 9:29 pm

Try this...
http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-li...w-zealand.HTML

We used it to gage how much of a wage we would need and so far have found we budgeted well and are managing ok, despite a high rent. But it was very informative. We are also 2 A, 3 Kids.

try and budget for a fortnightly wage rather than monthly as thats how most Kiwi's are paid.

There is always other costs that come up too so its good you have a savings fund.

Zoe

Batty Nov 3rd 2007 9:37 pm

Hi there

There are only two of us so your costs would obviously be higher for food etc but there are a few things I can help on.

Water NZD 80.00 - the water rates is billed quarterly (we're in Auckland North Shore) and we don't pay as much as $80 for the quarter so that could be a bit high. Or, maybe having 3 children means it's not. :blink:

Phone NZD 50.00 - too low. You'd be better off working towards $150 a month and being pleasantly surprised - this would include broadband.

Rates NZD 250.00 - depends on the Capital Value of the house you buy and be aware that the valuations will be reassessed next year so if there is a big difference between a CV now and what you pay for the property expect the rates to increase substantially.

Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00 - WOW! 3 children scenario again :D

Electricity NZD 200.00 - should be ok with that

House Insurance NZD 50.00 - ours is based on the m² of the house and $40k contents and is $77 a month

Dog Food NZD 120.00 - haha - put them on a diet :lol:

My hubby has a company car thank GOD and a petrol card so we don't have any car expenses - he does pay for his mum's WOF and I think it's around $45.

Savings, medical insurance etc are very much a personal preference I think and are based on what you can afford. One thing everyone should do IMO is join www.consumeronline.co.nz It costs about $25 a month but can save you a lot of money with getting the right services such as electricity providers, insurance etc.

Oh, the interest rates MAY go up again next week so better factor in an extra .25%!!!!!

Moomoo Nov 3rd 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

Planning on living south of Auckland. I naturally have deducted tax first but is there an equivalent of National Insurance or anything else?

Mr Moomoo

Baron Silas Greenback Nov 3rd 2007 10:37 pm

Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
425 a week seems like way to much to me, but it depends on what you eat and drink I suppose..... but you will be eating and drinking like kings on that!

In fact all your amounts are erring towards the expensive, but better sure than sorry I suppose!

sarahw Nov 3rd 2007 11:02 pm

Health insurance might be a bit low for the whole family. My OH and I pay $88 per month for Southern Cross

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 1:09 am

I some times wonder if we are living in the same country when I read some of these cost breakdowns.:unsure:

According to the goverment you should be able to survive on $800-$1200 depending where you live per week :ohmy:

howardk Nov 4th 2007 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 5506415)
Mr Moomoo- still doing sums to work out if job offer is OK and whether to accept and join you all!!

I have done a guestimate monthly budget based on previous posts- I have deducted income tax using the tax calculator. Please feel free to comment if I have missed anything or have seriously underestimated any costs. (There will be five or us coming 2 adults and 3 children and possibly 4 dogs!!).

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
NZD 6,660.00

Mr Moomoo

hi....we have lived in chch twice and just left for ottawa.....so got exp re. costs here in chch..all per month..med ins was $145,phone with calls home and internet $300,sch fee's were $800 ea child,elec ave $350,rest seem ok or a tad high....cheers.

mickey_d Nov 4th 2007 1:41 am

NZD 6,660.00

:ohmy::ohmy:

Avid Nov 4th 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 5507458)
:ohmy::ohmy:

I'd say that was a realistic figure...assuming the family are planning to have a normal (i.e. typical UK) life in NZ.

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5507501)
I'd say that was a realistic figure...assuming the family are planning to have a normal (i.e. typical UK) life in NZ.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Your kidding right:confused:

On that budget my wife and I would be working over 50 hours each per week each and asking the kids for pocket money :rofl:

Avid Nov 4th 2007 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5507557)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Your kidding right:confused:

I did use the word 'normal'......It's a budget of 30,000 quid for a family of 5 (and dogs)...

I KNOW, I KNOW, don't compare dollars with pounds....but I think you do have to sometimes if you want to have an idea what it's like in NZ.

unless you want to eat lamb flaps from the pak 'n' save everyday

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5507603)
I did use the word 'normal'......It's a budget of 30,000 quid for a family of 5 (and dogs)...

I KNOW, I KNOW, don't compare dollars with pounds....but I think you do have to sometimes if you want to have an idea what it's like in NZ.

unless you want to eat lamb flaps from the pak 'n' save everyday

Was not going to say that but you missed the last part of the post that said you probably be working 100 hours plus per week to live on that budget.

CAN2NZ Nov 4th 2007 5:41 am

Ok, I am on $115,000 per year, we have three kids and we don't spend as much as you are indicating. You do realize that you will need to earn, as an individual earner, more than $115,000 per year to have a take home pay of $6600 per month? In other words, you will be in the very top of income earners in this country. Your food costs are way out of control, but perhaps you eat out three nights a week.

Moomoo Nov 4th 2007 8:02 am

Thanks for all your comments. The food and wine costs are a little high - as my wife will not be working there is a little "housekeeping" in there as well.

I am aware of the level of salary needed to support this type of lifestyle and the job offer I have will support this providing there is nothing else taken of at source apart from tax.

Mr Moomoo

Avid Nov 4th 2007 9:01 am

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5507849)
In other words, you will be in the very top of income earners in this country. Your food costs are way out of control, but perhaps you eat out three nights a week.

Yeah, why don't you go on a diet you (I'll censor this bit, save the mods the time).<< censored>>>

Seriously though, you'll be in the top earning bracket...but that might well say more about NZ than it does about you. :unsure:

Ian & Sharon Nov 4th 2007 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 5508105)
I am aware of the level of salary needed to support this type of lifestyle and the job offer I have will support this providing there is nothing else taken of at source apart from tax.

Mr Moomoo

Good on you, no Pak and save for you then :thumbsup:

Moomoo Nov 4th 2007 2:42 pm

Mr and Mrs Moomoo wish to thank everyone who have responded- it has been very helpful in working out a cost of living and helping us cross off another issue in our decision making process.

Moomoo.:):thumbsup:

CAN2NZ Nov 4th 2007 5:46 pm

I just noticed where you live. Why not just get off the Island and move to Lymington? You are living in a very nice part of the country. I used to live on the south coast, in Dorset and was always out on bikes to the new forest and along the coast. Why leave? Then you won't have to worry about the cost of butter or rent or mortgage? You already have the answers.

CAN2NZ Nov 4th 2007 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5508253)
Yeah, why don't you go on a diet you (I'll censor this bit, save the mods the time).<< censored>>>

Seriously though, you'll be in the top earning bracket...but that might well say more about NZ than it does about you. :unsure:

Well, we are still tens of thousands behind where we were before we came here and to that there is the added insecurity that goes with not having any work provided health benefits and insurance.

It isn't all about the money. We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

Ian & Sharon Nov 4th 2007 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5510137)
We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

Very Good point.

happynz Nov 4th 2007 6:17 pm

It isn't all about the money. We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

Yup.
Four Noble Truths

1. Suffering exists
2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires (There is always a need for enough.)
3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path

Life, eh? :huh:

Moomoo Nov 4th 2007 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5510106)
I just noticed where you live. Why not just get off the Island and move to Lymington? You are living in a very nice part of the country. I used to live on the south coast, in Dorset and was always out on bikes to the new forest and along the coast. Why leave? Then you won't have to worry about the cost of butter or rent or mortgage? You already have the answers.

Yeah, the Island is a lovely place to live, along with the south coast, but a new opportunity has arisen, and we thrive on a challenge!!! That's why we want to make sure we have got our sums right. It is a big move, especially taking three kids, but we are thinking of it as a permanent move, so need to try and get things as right as possible.

Thanks
Moomoo (Kerry)

Kippers Nov 4th 2007 7:19 pm

"............Accessible pleasures, open to all. In England, this has been lost beneath a miasma of nagging discontent. I should be getting more. I wish I was her. I must have that. Get me to the shops. Book me a mini-break."

Hortense de Monplaisir

Kip ;)

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 7:51 pm

Simple answer is that if you moved to New Zealand for money then your in the wrong country. If you moved to New Zealand to have a better quality of life with money your still in the wrong country but if you moved to New Zealand to live like a colonial explorer with no money and a nice place to live.....Then Kia Ora Aotearoa :thumbup:

ned Nov 4th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5510588)
Simple answer is that if you moved to New Zealand for money then your in the wrong country. If you moved to New Zealand to have a better quality of life with money your still in the wrong country but if you moved to New Zealand to live like a colonial explorer with no money and a nice place to live.....Then Kia Ora Aotearoa :thumbup:

Will I look out of place wearing a Pith Helmet :confused:

teambwr47 Nov 4th 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ned (Post 5510689)
Will I look out of place wearing a Pith Helmet :confused:

Will need to be standard issue at the colonial club....opening soon in either Auckland and Wellington.........

I know theres at least three potential members here.....;)

Avid Nov 4th 2007 9:22 pm

We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

"The quickest way to wealth is to despise wealth" (Seneca)

but then again....

"Money doesn't buy happiness...but it buys the time in which to be happy" (Camus)

Hmmm.....

BEVS Nov 4th 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5510106)

It is a lovely area isn't it. We used to live in Southbourne and I still miss many aspects of that. As you say, there is the New Forest, the Ranges & coastline.

CAN2NZ Nov 4th 2007 11:25 pm

Yes, I loved it there. We were looking at going back there from Canada or coming here to New Zealand. I am still a little torn, but maybe one of the kids will go there and let us live with them.

I like the little towns like New Milton, a nice house not far from the small strip of beach or out to Hinton Admiral east of Christchurch.

Rangiora though will do nicely for us now.

dlmckay Nov 5th 2007 12:37 am

Getting back on topic...

Dog costs....
Costs for Manukau City Council
http://www.manukau.govt.nz/default.aspx?id=219
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs
$90 per dog annual registration fee.

Costs for Franklin District Council
http://www.franklin.govt.nz/CouncilS...0/Default.aspx
$60-80 per dog annual registration fee (lower if they're desexed)
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs.

$120 to feed 4 dogs??? I feed 3 large dogs on $15 a week in the winter and their consumption drops in the summer so $10 when it's hot. Get them on a raw diet (google Dr Ian Billingstone - Give Your Dog a Bone - and read it!)
And of course, don't forget annual innoculations - they're about $80-$120 - shop around though - there's a considerable price difference between vets.

Ian & Sharon Nov 5th 2007 3:10 am

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5511497)
Rangiora though will do nicely for us now.

Did us nicely for 2 years, have you had a "Jug" in the Plough?

CAN2NZ Nov 5th 2007 4:07 am

The misses and I don't drink so don't go to out for drinks. I know where you mean though. How do you like Brisbane over Rangiora? Not really comparable I suppose. We have decided to quite checking on the progress of our house that is being built in Rangiora. Things move so slow we were really just frustrating ourselves.

Ian & Sharon Nov 5th 2007 4:15 am

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5512025)
How do you like Brisbane over Rangiora? Not really comparable I suppose.

Both have there + and - your right both are so different you can't compare, we've had some great experiences in both town's /Countries and are bloody lucky to have been given the opportunity.
One thing I know is we will never go back to the UK.......possibly Italy ;)

CAN2NZ Nov 5th 2007 4:23 am

If I had money, I would spend lots of time around Florence each year. Since I don't have lots of money, I will visit the local library several times each year.

newkiwi Nov 7th 2007 4:24 pm

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
NZD 6,660.00

Mr Moomoo

Most ppl have made good comments..

I would say phone is too low, utilities may be on the light side, food is high though.

what about general entertainment/ treats or holidays?

Apart from income tax there is the ACC levy, deducted at source (I dont know the percentage, something like 1 or 2 percent. You may be able to find out on sorted.org.nz

Very expensive to bring 4 dogs over.......lots of time in quarantine, expensive to fly them into kiwiland etc.

many ppl live in Nz on a lot less than what youre budgeting though, you will be high up on the salary scale by the sound of things..

dubstar Nov 7th 2007 7:02 pm

Hi

some additions,

Mobile phone costs,
additional furniture etc
clothing and shoes
hair cuts
home and contents insurance
school uniform, books, shoes, trips,
home and contents insurance.

cheers

dubstar Nov 7th 2007 7:06 pm

and double the phone costs,

I would say, the food bill is about right, our weekly shop is around $280, but I always seem to have to go again to top up the milk and bread and fruit etc.

I would also consider, money for when the kids are on school holiday's eg. swimming, cinema, or what ever they are into.

Moomoo Nov 7th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 5524260)
Most ppl have made good comments..

I would say phone is too low, utilities may be on the light side, food is high though.

what about general entertainment/ treats or holidays?

Apart from income tax there is the ACC levy, deducted at source (I dont know the percentage, something like 1 or 2 percent. You may be able to find out on sorted.org.nz

Very expensive to bring 4 dogs over.......lots of time in quarantine, expensive to fly them into kiwiland etc.

many ppl live in Nz on a lot less than what youre budgeting though, you will be high up on the salary scale by the sound of things..

Thanks for your help.

With regard to the dogs ... there is no quarantine if bringing to NZ from UK. :) The dogs have to stay on your residential premises for 30 days, so it's a home quarantine. That will save a little money. Also, dogs won't have to have rabies test done as we are coming from UK, but the rest of the costs for bringing the dogs will be very high.

Food estimate hubbie quoted is high, we spend between £80.00-£100.00 week in UK for family of five, sometimes less if I go to the supermarket alone!

General entertainment/treats/holidays - if we bring the dogs, there won't be any!!! :ohmy:

Regards
Moomoo (Kerry)