Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to get to NZ??

How much does it cost to get to NZ??

Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:39 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much does it cost to get to NZ??

There have been a few posts recently regarding expectations, expenses, lack of funds, cost of living, set up costs etc etc - I thought I'd share with everyone how much it cost us to get out here - there may be a load of stuff that people think is a waste of money, there may however also be items that you'd never even think of accounting for - full break-down is in attachment for those interested.

We applied for PR just over 3 years ago and arrived in September 05, it cost us a sniff under £17,000 just to get here, and then on arrival in the first 2 weeks we spent another $27,000.... so near enough £30k was our cost of coming out here.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Immigration expenses.xls (33.5 KB, 151 views)
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to get to NZ??

Originally Posted by P18PPS
There have been a few posts recently regarding expectations, expenses, lack of funds, cost of living, set up costs etc etc - I thought I'd share with everyone how much it cost us to get out here - there may be a load of stuff that people think is a waste of money, there may however also be items that you'd never even think of accounting for - full break-down is in attachment for those interested.

We applied for PR just over 3 years ago and arrived in September 05, it cost us a sniff under £17,000 just to get here, and then on arrival in the first 2 weeks we spent another $27,000.... so near enough £30k was our cost of coming out here.

We spent £12k getting here. $9k to buy all the white goods we gave away:curse:

10 days later $440k on a house, $25k on 2 cars and over the last 3 years about $150k getting the house the way it should be..warm, dry and well maintained.

Irrespective of house purchase or rental, emigration is expensive!!!!!

The biggest bug bear of NZ emigrees appears to revolve around money issues.

Do the sums first. I could not make a go of what is a very tricky undertaking if I was utterly skint all the time. Been there and its no fun. Not rich now by any means and we currently have a big overdraft for now, but we get by reasonably comfortably.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:31 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Don't know where I heard it from, but am under the impression it takes about 2 years to get to where you were when you left the UK.

We are 4 adults and it cost us about £9,000 if you exclude selling fees for the house and a hugh loss on selling the last car (almost gave it away to a friend, who let me use it until the day of leaving).

The emotional cost is greater and less (a true roller coster of emotions), we sold the house a month before we left, Husband Tony went to Leeds, youngest son James went to the Indian family across the road (and was spoilt rotten), the eldest David and myself went to some good friends of mine (Kim and Jeanette), the problem with this is they become a temporary family rather than good friends so saying bye bye was even harder than it would have been had we not had the month together.

Doesn't D-day come suddenly, you think your prepared but the ssuddennessof D-day, it all happens so quick.

Kleenex must make a fortune on D-day
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:08 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

!!! he he he D-day for us was great - couldn't wait to wave everyone off. The scarey bit was taking off knowing that our wordly possessions were either in a tin can somewhere on the north sea? (or Atlantic?), our other belongings were in 8 suitcases in the plane, we had no visible assets and we were embarking on a 26 hour flight to a country we'd never been to before, knew nobody with our 2 children,...

gosh what an aventure - still gives me goosebumps now!! wouldn't change it for the world.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Great info thank you..only 2 skips?? What did you do with the rest??
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

TheNaylors is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

we're new here and have just started the whole process. I noticed on your breakdown that you used a certain Consultants to aid your visa application etc. Can I just ask what your overall opinion of them was having completed it all? We are starting out with them, but don't know anyone personally who had been through the same thing. I would have PM'd you but with being new, I'm restricted so have had to post a reply instead.

Many thanks,
Julie
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:16 am

Hi there - scarey stuff starting from scratch!

We knew nobody in NZ, nor did we know anyone who was doing the whole emmigrating to NZ thing either - personally we found the initial consulation and meeting with them extremely useful, though we decided to then go through the rest of the application ourselves direct with NZIS on the web - it is really straight forward (especially if you have a realtivey uncomplicated situation). I don't think the huge fees they would have charged would have worked for us HOWEVER the initial couple of hundred quid was money well spent (on our opinions). The expats website is extremely useful for info, and most bods on here will be able to help if you have difficulty at any point. Just our opinion - everyone's different.

Good luck - let us know if we can help any further.