Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
South Auckland alone has 165 different cultures within in it, many of them in mixed marriages. That is what I love so much about SA and what most of you probably find hard to handle.
Hard to handle? Are you kidding, like we don't have any immigrants, foreign food or mixed relationships in the UK? The number one British favourite meal is Chicken Tikka Masala. I really don't expect you or anyone else to really understand what I meant, because it's not something I can explain very well. First and foremost, usually a person from the UK will identify with where they come within the country, way before even considering themselves British and as for being European well that's way down the list. We all have uniquely identifiable charactaristics and things that make us different; from the way we talk, history, the things we like, football teams; which in my opinion makes for a more interesting mix of people and places to visit. It certainly makes travelling around the country more variable and if you travel even only small distances to other towns you can immediately know that you have arrived 'somewhere else' and feel like you have been away somewhere.

In that respect I find NZ, as a whole, rather bland and homogenous. The only difference in NZ psyche is whether you're from the mainland or a JAFA.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Hard to handle? Are you kidding.
I thought that.

Originally Posted by BEVS
I met Dave Allen .
Originally Posted by Batty
Is he dead now?
I should say so. May his god go with him.

Blummin' lovely he was too.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:30 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I thought that.

I should say so. May his god go with him.

Blummin' lovely he was too.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:43 pm
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Generally happy here but would not dismiss the chance of going to Oz in the future, mainly to be better off. That nasty Auntie Helen keeps taking our hard-earned dosh :curse:

Mrs V is less happy about this as her view of Oz is mainly wildlife based, that is, she believes every creature will try to kill her via teeth or venom. She can't accept that people actually survive there.
A friend described Aus wildlife very well as nastypointybiteystinggythings...

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TIE
A friend described Aus wildlife very well as nastypointybiteystinggythings...

I heard it was "Cometoocloseandyourdead"
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

. The only difference in NZ psyche is whether you're from the mainland or a JAFA.
I'll say this really quietly so no-one notices how thick I am....What does JAFA mean? I only know one meaning of that word and I'm very sure that's not what you're on about
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:45 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just Another Friendly Aucklander

Sort of ....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

Sort of ....
thats the nice version
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

Sort of ....
Thank you, see it wasn't what i was thinking!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Off topic I know, but we meet with a few Kiwis regularly of a Friday evening. I have to say that these people certainly do not lack humour. .

Quick one!
Have they been on a OE when younger?
Just that Kiwi's who have tend to be different than one's who haven't, have you noticed this?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:28 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's some truth in that and certainly the attitudes of people I meet who have never left NZ can be a bit shocking but they tend to be old duffers.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Quick one!
Just that Kiwi's who have tend to be different than one's who haven't, have you noticed this?
I will say alot of the kiwis I know, havent even been out of the country and probably have no intention of doing so...my hubbys family 3 sisters only one of them has been out of NZ and that was only 2 years ago to go to Samoa, and his mum has been to Oz once and wont go again, hes the only one who has travelled widely and loves to travel despite hating flying
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:13 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick one!
I've noticed that to some extent too, the New Zealanders over here are usually more receptive to change than their countrymen back home. It's hard to make broad generalisations about people but I guess travel does broaden the mind.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quick one!
No. These people are around our age group. There was no OE for them back in the old days.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to handle? Are you kidding, like we don't have any immigrants, foreign food or mixed relationships in the UK? The number one British favourite meal is Chicken Tikka Masala. I really don't expect you or anyone else to really understand what I meant, because it's not something I can explain very well. First and foremost, usually a person from the UK will identify with where they come within the country, way before even considering themselves British and as for being European well that's way down the list. We all have uniquely identifiable charactaristics and things that make us different; from the way we talk, history, the things we like, football teams; which in my opinion makes for a more interesting mix of people and places to visit. It certainly makes travelling around the country more variable and if you travel even only small distances to other towns you can immediately know that you have arrived 'somewhere else' and feel like you have been away somewhere.

In that respect I find NZ, as a whole, rather bland and homogenous. The only difference in NZ psyche is whether you're from the mainland or a JAFA.
I think you will find most Kiwis who ive in Auckland are not born and breed Jafas.

I never said you weren't used to immigrants or mixed marriages.

What I said was South Auckland is a very diverse culture made up of a large mix of cultures and for that reason most Brits I know feel apprehensive about living there.

In fact I have read that many times in here. Usually posted by those who have never lived in South Auckland themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.