Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many moved without visiting first?

How many moved without visiting first?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:22 pm
turkeytickler

Default Re: How many moved without visiting first?

Originally Posted by Biddy
Shall we drop this and let the thread get back on course?
good idea - in the spirit of xmas and all that - your good health...

Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:28 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
good idea - in the spirit of xmas and all that - your good health...
And yours
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

The nearest we got to was Australia (Perth) but it was a unanimous decision to go to NZ! Our big move is only 2 weeks away
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kathm
Don't know exactly where we'll be living yet, but hubby has a job in Te Maunga. The company has arranged 2 weeks in a motel in Mt Maunganui but after that we will need to find somewhere to rent.
Tauranga is a really nice city on the east coast and close enough to Auckland for the bigger city events to be accessable.Im sure you will like it
.if I wasnt so happy in Whangarei I would have Tauranga as my next pick (or Napier) but Taurangas milder weather and proximity to Auckland is a bonus over Napier.
We had a weekend in Mt Maunganui on the 4,5,6, Nov 2005 and really enjoyed it.
Best wishes for your move
Shazza
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:14 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bodgit
Greetings all,

Just in an idle moment having been quizzed by a few people about my reasoning, a common thread emerged and I just wondered what others had done. It wont change our minds but I was just interested.

We have never visited NZ but are still planning on moving there.

Reasoning as follows:

Speaking for myself only, having visited a place I was intending to live in the past, the visit went so badly I nearly pulled out and yet eventually lived there for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Imagine the enjoyment that one visit would have deprived me of!

So, we will move and back the best of what we find. We reason there will always be good and bad times and just expect, (and will work at), making the good times the best.
          Hi Bodgit,

I moved to NZ without having visited before, been in Auckland for just over 2 weeks now, although I didn't make the move as a skilled migrant but as the partner of a NZ citizen (from Auckland). It's made the change from London to NZ and the settling much easier that's for sure.

We had spoken about going to NZ but not til a few years...but things moved fast when my partner couldn't extend their stay in the UK, so there was no possibility for me to actually go there for a visit (and as another poster mentioned, financial constraints)

I love it here, even if it's only been 2 weeks. I even admit that Auckland is NOT as crowded as some people have told me it was

Good luck in your plans,

Jen
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:30 am
          BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

What's happenning on the old chicken front?

Of the 4 chickens we started with, we returned two to the Evil Chicken Lords {Jam and Pizza}, the 2 we kept turned out to be ........ROOSTERS. !!! They are now living the free and easy life .......DON;T ASK !!!!

After all of Robs hard work and ingenuity {and he's not even a kiwi }, we decided to re utilise the beautifully constructed chicken coop {constructed from the under bed drawers from our divan bed} to keep 2 out door cats in it.

They were 2 abandonded cats, 8 months and 18 months old we got from the SPCA. We love them to bits and they seem to love us in return.

Gill
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:00 am
          Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

There's no need to be rude to someone you know nothing about.

Why waste six grand on a 2 week holiday. If NZ is as bad as many posters on here would have you believe, I will use this money to move on to the next country........but it will NOT be back to the UK. There is no way I would live in a country that made my family unhappy.
          By the way BIDDY.......I note where you live and it is a place we have all considered, it looks fantastic. Why do you like it there and what do we need to look out for?
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:48 am
          Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
          I think you are absolutely right that the context of a visit is totally different to actually getting down to the nitty gritty of life in a place..... finding a home, work, schools etc and it might lead you to a false conclusion.

I all would say is that new zealand is a very different country to what you see in the tourist and immigration literature, where it is all waterfalls, emerald lakes, mountains, bungy jumping and smiling maoris. You may or may not like the reality - plenty of people do, plenty dont.

For that reason - I would suggest you visit first - and whilst here, imagining the dollars you spend are the dollars you earn - dont think in £s.
          IMHO i would disagree with you, we visited for 4 weeks and stayed a week with rellies and got a very good grasp of what NZ is about, Cold , Wet, Expensive (for just about everything except eating out), Tin roofs, creaky wooden houses, crap drivers (nearly got killed at Bay of Islands - Tosser never even stopped to see if we were OK)....................
          ......................................still want to go though it just tilted the rose tinted specs further down the end of my nose.

I would say visit for sure! ....finances allowing
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:40 am
          Forum Regular

HOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura about

We never set foot in NZ. We just packed and left without hesitation.

We wanted to get out of South Africa as quick as possible and did alot of research regarding NZ - luckily we feel right at home

Last edited by HOBSON1840; Dec 21st 2005 at 10:13 am.
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:41 am
          sky
          Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
          There's no need to be rude to someone you know nothing about.
          Urm what are the for?
          Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:39 pm
          Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
          By the way BIDDY.......I note where you live and it is a place we have all considered, it looks fantastic. Why do you like it there and what do we need to look out for?
          Hi Lenny - yes we think this is a really nice area ....why? Hard to define but these would be some of the good points:
          Climate - mild witers and warm summers (but not too hot) - at the moment it's hovering around 20 - 24deg c - perfect BBQ weather.
          Beach - everything from sandy to rocky around here. And empty most of the time.
          Fishing - haven't been yet but am so tempted to get out there with tales of big snapper etc for the BBQ
          Hills - if you're looking at the beach then the hills are behind you - makes for good bush walks and scenery
          Convenience - 95% of anything you might want to buy is nearby ie within 10 mins drive - 4 Supermarkets - the local Pak n Save in Paraparaumu is fantastic - electrical shops - the Warehouse - cinema - Libraries - car sales - loads of fresh fruit & veg roadside stalls/shops - swimming pool etc etc
          Size - waikanae has a pop of 9000 and the Kapiti coast area a pop of 40000 ish so big enough to attaract development but not big enough to loose it's rural charm.
          Cost - our friends have just bought a 4 bed house with 1.5 acres and an indoor pool for $385,000 - we've invested in land - 3 acres 1k from beach with elevated beach and hill views for $300,000 - we can see about 4 other houses from this land nd yet we're only 5 mins from the town.
          Schools - our kids are thriving in their school - can't really define why, but the teachers take a real and genuine interest in the development of each individual and don't just teach a class.
          Work - I'm in Healthcare sales and so have quite a lot of freedom to choose where to go (New Plymouth, Wanganui, Palmy, Napier, Masterton, Welly) so I have variety and can avoid the traffic.
          People - although we've only got a few good friends here at the mo - the people that you meet 'in the street' are brilliant and we've had no anti Pom feelings and everyone has been open, warm and friendly.
          Relaxed - absolutely no stresses - the kids are happy, so are we.

Not so good aspects:
          Traffic - state highway 1 is way too small and so at times you can be stuck in traffic for yonks - an hour trip can easily become 2.
          Uglyness - whilst most of the area is beautiful to look at, the developers haven't bothered to make the main road through the towns appealling to the eye. The route is cluttered with commercial signs and hoardings and shopfronts - very different to the UK. However I would say this is typical for the bits of NZ I have seen - the ring road round Hamilton was one of the ugliest roads I've ever seen and really put me off the city.
          That is genuinely all I can think of specific to this area.

We chose well - it's worked for us and I'm sure wherever you end up it will be the same.
          Good luck
          Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:03 am
          Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

My mum is not very happy that we are moving, or planning on moving to NZ. She has no idea why we want to go somewhere we have never been. She fails to realize that her progenators had never been to Canada to see if they would like carving a home out of the wilderness. Near as I can tell, NZ is very much like Canada, just smaller and a little less frosty in places. We are waiting on the London NZIS office to assess our ITA.

Michael
          Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:41 pm
          Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future

[\QUOTE]Why waste six grand on a 2 week holiday. If NZ is as bad as many posters on here would have you believe, I will use this money to move on to the next country........but it will NOT be back to the UK. [/QUOTE]

Thanks to all replies and opinions. This summed up my feelings but you can never be sure. Good luck to us all.

Happy Christmas.
          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 6:27 pm
          Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Hi Lenny - yes we think this is a really nice area ....why? Hard to define but these would be some of the good points:
          Climate - mild witers and warm summers (but not too hot) - at the moment it's hovering around 20 - 24deg c - perfect BBQ weather.
          Beach - everything from sandy to rocky around here. And empty most of the time.
          Fishing - haven't been yet but am so tempted to get out there with tales of big snapper etc for the BBQ
          Hills - if you're looking at the beach then the hills are behind you - makes for good bush walks and scenery
          Convenience - 95% of anything you might want to buy is nearby ie within 10 mins drive - 4 Supermarkets - the local Pak n Save in Paraparaumu is fantastic - electrical shops - the Warehouse - cinema - Libraries - car sales - loads of fresh fruit & veg roadside stalls/shops - swimming pool etc etc
          Size - waikanae has a pop of 9000 and the Kapiti coast area a pop of 40000 ish so big enough to attaract development but not big enough to loose it's rural charm.
          Cost - our friends have just bought a 4 bed house with 1.5 acres and an indoor pool for $385,000 - we've invested in land - 3 acres 1k from beach with elevated beach and hill views for $300,000 - we can see about 4 other houses from this land nd yet we're only 5 mins from the town.
          Schools - our kids are thriving in their school - can't really define why, but the teachers take a real and genuine interest in the development of each individual and don't just teach a class.
          Work - I'm in Healthcare sales and so have quite a lot of freedom to choose where to go (New Plymouth, Wanganui, Palmy, Napier, Masterton, Welly) so I have variety and can avoid the traffic.
          People - although we've only got a few good friends here at the mo - the people that you meet 'in the street' are brilliant and we've had no anti Pom feelings and everyone has been open, warm and friendly.
          Relaxed - absolutely no stresses - the kids are happy, so are we.

Not so good aspects:
          Traffic - state highway 1 is way too small and so at times you can be stuck in traffic for yonks - an hour trip can easily become 2.
          Uglyness - whilst most of the area is beautiful to look at, the developers haven't bothered to make the main road through the towns appealling to the eye. The route is cluttered with commercial signs and hoardings and shopfronts - very different to the UK. However I would say this is typical for the bits of NZ I have seen - the ring road round Hamilton was one of the ugliest roads I've ever seen and really put me off the city.
          That is genuinely all I can think of specific to this area.

We chose well - it's worked for us and I'm sure wherever you end up it will be the same.
          Good luck
          Thanks for the reply Biddy..............Great post, still sounds very much the place for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,MERRY XMAS!
          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 8:32 pm
          By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I had never visited either before arriving in Auckland 6 months ago. I love it. My favourite time of the day is when I see the city rising from the sea as we head onto the motorway. If anyone ever watched Stargate Atlantis, well Auckland reminds me of Atlantis I don't know that coming here on holiday would have helped any - of course being married to a Kiwi, we were always going to be coming back anyway.

I think it all depends on the type of person you are. The more cautious you are, the bigger the chance that you will want to visit first. I packed my bags and went to live in London (on my own) without having ever been there and did exactly the same thing when I lived in The Netherlands. So, for me NZ was just a few thousand miles farther away and with my husband to look out for me this time, how bad could it be?