Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long is "Indefinite"?

How long is "Indefinite"?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:57 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default How long is "Indefinite"?

Just wondering if anyone knows how long "Indefinite" is, as in my PR and RRV it states they are "Indefinite" now some people tell me that it means that I can only be out of the country for 5yrs, some say I must be in the country for 180days of each year, and others say differing things.

My dictionary say that Indefinite = Not definite; not limited, defined, or specified; not explicit; not determined or fixed upon; not precise; uncertain; vague; confused; obscure; as, an indefinite time, plan, etc.

Do I go with obscure and that Immigration can change it when they want or not limited.

I note that confused is one of the meanings

However we do have different meanings for things here such as:

route, I told someone last week I was enroute and they asked if I was leaving after to go and meet them!

Pants = undies(my kids tease me about this one)

Housecoat = dressing gown(ok this may be a Scottish one)

Anyway you get my gist!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:58 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice
Default Re: How long is "Indefinite"?

How longs a piece of string?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:06 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

In what document have you found the word "indefinite" ?

If you could explain your problem, someone might be able to offer you some advice

As far as I'm aware, a Permanent Returning Residence Visa is just that.

It lasts for ever (Permanent),
Allows you to return to and live in NZ (Returning Residence)
and it's a Visa (Permission to enter the country)

The answers in the name really

Last edited by NakiMan; Nov 11th 2008 at 8:14 am.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:17 am

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by theduke
Just wondering if anyone knows how long "Indefinite" is, as in my PR and RRV it states they are "Indefinite" now some people tell me that it means that I can only be out of the country for 5yrs, some say I must be in the country for 180days of each year, and others say differing things.
Sorry didn't realise it wasn't understandable, my PR and RRV states they are Inefinite,what does indefinite mean, how long is indefinite.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan
In what document have you found the word "indefinite" ?

If you could explain your problem, someone might be able to offer you some advice

As far as I'm aware, a Permanent Returning Residence Visa is just that.

It lasts for ever (Permanent),
Allows you to return to and live in NZ (Returning Residence)
and it's a Visa (Permission to enter the country)

The answers in the name really
Not according to the Immigration website, so if anyone really knows and not just guessing please let me know!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by theduke

My dictionary say that Indefinite = Not definite; not limited, defined, or specified; not explicit; not determined or fixed upon; not precise; uncertain; vague; confused; obscure; as, an indefinite time, plan, etc.

Do I go with obscure and that Immigration can change it when they want or not limited.

I note that confused is one of the meanings

However we do have different meanings for things here such as:

route, I told someone last week I was enroute and they asked if I was leaving after to go and meet them!

Pants = undies(my kids tease me about this one)

Housecoat = dressing gown(ok this may be a Scottish one)

Anyway you get my gist!
If your RRV Sticker says "Valid until - Indefinate" then it is just that, Indefinate, ie does not expire, good for re-entry into NZ anytime.

Note you will have to get a new RRV put into a new passport when your old passport expires.

It is possible but not likely that rules regarding residency requirements to hold onto RRVs may be changed, so if you want to be 100% sure apply for citizenship.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:30 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the rules about whether you need to be in country for so many days per year are only for the initial period of your PR (ie. you are granted residence, not just the option of having residence). You can't just come for a visit, get a stamp in your passport, go home and think you have your bolthole all sorted out.

Most peeps get citizenship when they can.

Check the NZIS website - the details will be in there somewhere.