Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How is the job situation in Christchurch for a pipe fitter on WHV please

How is the job situation in Christchurch for a pipe fitter on WHV please

Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How is the job situation in Christchurch for a pipe fitter on WHV please

23 year old pipefitter looking at coming to NZ,

I am aware I will need to get licensed and so on so forth, but I was wondering if there is plenty of work in NZ particularly Christ church.

I have spoken to New Zealanders who have said the way to get work in NZ is to get over there because most work is found by word of mouth not on the internet.

after being knocked back from Canada twice now because of experience (my competition has 15 years +)
I have decided upon the WHV and NZ gives us 2 years rather than the 1 in Canada, in theory the longer I am there the more chance I have of finding permanent work and settling.

anyone's experience or advice or if there are any H&V pipefitters out there I would appreciate if you get in touch.

Kind regards

wardy
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating and Vent needing advice

Anyone in the construction industry at all!?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Heating and Vent needing advice

My husband is a plumber but not in the ChCh area at all.

I think it may be the thread title. I will tweak it to reflect the trade and Christchurch as the area you are interested in.

A WHV is a great idea to get you here and started. If you are prepared to be a 'mate' in the trade for a while whilst you gain your welding ticket etc, you could find yourself with a full time trade job despite the occupation not being on the Canterbury shortage list.

Just seen this vacancy . click the link. You could labour in the trade whilst finding your feet .

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 18th 2013 at 8:52 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: How is the job situation in Christchurch for a pipe fitter on WHV please

thanks very much again BEVS, I don't wanna up and move spending my savings to find out I cant support myself. I have recently been in touch with AWF trades and canstaff but heard nothing back form them but I only mailed them Sunday British time.

I don't mind labouring while I train to there standard the more I stay here the more frustrating it gets!

Welding unfortunately was not one of my strong points but I know it is just a matter of practice.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: How is the job situation in Christchurch for a pipe fitter on WHV please

HAYS seem to be the recruiters of the moment I have heard.