Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How have your kids coped with the move?

How have your kids coped with the move?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have your kids coped with the move?

Originally Posted by danny.f
Vicki-me old buddy-what's the game with the mortgage here? Can you barter for each week in a mortgage market-flapping your arms wildly til someone takes your cash for the week to keep the Govt happy? Not the same as here then!! Do you find it cheaper or not me old Vickster?
dannyboy - you can have a go at bartering for most things, but mortgage market is pretty much like the UK. There are 3 main types - interest only, repayment and another that I can't remember. Interest rates are much higher - sitting anywhere between 7% and 9%. The main difference we've found is the ability to split the amounts borrowed across different terms to build in lots of flexibility and the ability to pay more frequently than monthly. We took ours out with the ASB - mainly cos it's the bank we're using and by having all our business with them we've got no fees on our day to day banking - and they made a contribution to our solicitors fees.
V
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
dannyboy - you can have a go at bartering for most things, but mortgage market is pretty much like the UK. There are 3 main types - interest only, repayment and another that I can't remember. Interest rates are much higher - sitting anywhere between 7% and 9%. The main difference we've found is the ability to split the amounts borrowed across different terms to build in lots of flexibility and the ability to pay more frequently than monthly. We took ours out with the ASB - mainly cos it's the bank we're using and by having all our business with them we've got no fees on our day to day banking - and they made a contribution to our solicitors fees.
V

Can remember bout 12 yrs ago the rates were similar here.Does sound quite flexible ,which is good,gonna be a test for Dan-Dan,the Mathematician man!!
All the banks sound pretty much the same to me,did you open up your account before you went? I wanna take advantage of the decent exchange rate-but have been advised I can't til 3 months prior to moving.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Can remember bout 12 yrs ago the rates were similar here.Does sound quite flexible ,which is good,gonna be a test for Dan-Dan,the Mathematician man!!
All the banks sound pretty much the same to me,did you open up your account before you went? I wanna take advantage of the decent exchange rate-but have been advised I can't til 3 months prior to moving.
we opened our account on arrival - took about an hour and we walked away with a fully functioning cheque account, an internet savings account and our cashcards - dead easy. the exchange rate was crappy when we came over, so we left the lump sum in the uk till we needed it, given that all indications were that it would improve - it did, slightly - we went from 2.3 to 2.5 to the pound!
oh - and we used hifx for the transfer - and you can set something up with them which agrees a rate in advance, can't remember exactly how it works but if you give them a call they're really helpful - and they've got offices in both uk and nz
vicki
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we opened our account on arrival - took about an hour and we walked away with a fully functioning cheque account, an internet savings account and our cashcards - dead easy. the exchange rate was crappy when we came over, so we left the lump sum in the uk till we needed it, given that all indications were that it would improve - it did, slightly - we went from 2.3 to 2.5 to the pound!
oh - and we used hifx for the transfer - and you can set something up with them which agrees a rate in advance, can't remember exactly how it works but if you give them a call they're really helpful - and they've got offices in both uk and nz
vicki
I've heard of that-you wait til you get a favouable exchange rate,then the bank protects the rate for 3 months,or summat. We've downloaded an application form,but thought you needed sometax number or something. Will get on to it asap. need to diet and stop drining for a month so my liver behaves-imagine going through all this then being told you're not fit enough for them!! Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhh!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

I've heard of that-you wait til you get a favouable exchange rate,then the bank protects the rate for 3 months,or summat. We've downloaded an application form,but thought you needed sometax number or something. Will get on to it asap. need to diet and stop drining for a month so my liver behaves-imagine going through all this then being told you're not fit enough for them!! Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhh!
hiya danny
Wayne didn't pass his liver function test first time!!!!!
Tea total for two weeks and he pass it with flying colours, just drink plenty of water and no alcohol ,He found it easy because England flop out of the world cup, might of been diff if they had carried on.
cheers Jane
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by westies
Just for interest for you guys we bought a house for 400,000 dollars, we have a mortgage of 200,000. the repayments are 680 each fortnight.
Probably a fantastic idea to set up nursery, definately lots of call for it, seems if you do find a good nursey waiting lists are massive, we have 1 in mind, names are down but earliest will be March next year, alot of schools have after school clubs, but again waiting lists!! our daughter is currently no. 18 on the list!!! seems to be alot of waiting games going on.
Incidentally-are these mortgages over 25 yrs,less? Nice deposits people. Need to save a bit more then!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally-are these mortgages over 25 yrs,less? Nice deposits people. Need to save a bit more then!!
ours is over 25yrs. we had £100k for a deposit, courtesy of decent uk house equity. had the rose tinted vision of being mortgage free, and could have achieved it if we'd compromised on the property - space being the main compromise!
vicki
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:05 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

There is talk of 50-year mortgages to let people who can't afford the monthly payments on shorter terms buy a house, which is just crazy.

The best value mortgages are fixed rate for two years, here's a lengthy article explaining why.

Last edited by cypherpunk; Aug 7th 2006 at 8:08 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Rich & Mitz is on a distinguished road

Danny

My kids started school virtually as soon as we landed and they love it here and at school.

Schools are multi-cultural and there are many different kids but this is great.....imagine the diversity and the experiences that your children will be exposed it! My eldest daughter's friends are teaching her simple words in Chinese! It's fantastic!

Kids stay kids longer in NZ and bullying is strongly opposed. At least they won't be going to secondary (high) school with stab proof vests on!!!

All the best!

Rich
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My DS was 19 months when we moved here last year so it didnt affect him too much. My friends who have older kids all say their kids have settled in well..... theyve made friends easily... they do well at school... they dont want to move back to UK.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahB
My DS was 19 months when we moved here last year so it didnt affect him too much. My friends who have older kids all say their kids have settled in well..... theyve made friends easily... they do well at school... they dont want to move back to UK.
These stories all mirror what I'd seen in Auckland,happy kids enjoying going to school. Happy kids=happy mums and dads. Kids staying kids for longer-just like the good ol' days. Can't wait.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

These stories all mirror what I'd seen in Auckland,happy kids enjoying going to school. Happy kids=happy mums and dads. Kids staying kids for longer-just like the good ol' days. Can't wait.
Us British mums always have a good old natter about how things are done here.... it is a bit different. Kids walk home by themselves (here in Beachlands anyway).... they seem to have more freedom. We all agree that Beachlands is a great place to bring up a young family.

Although I initially didnt like Auckland (too built up for my liking) I was still surprised that even in the middle of Auckland people could leave things in their gardens in public.... the stuff doesnt get pinched!! I can leave my kids stroller out the front of the house and know that it will be still be there later... its just easier going.