How hard is it?!

Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default How hard is it?!

As you can see we have been selected from pool and are now waiting with baited breath to see if we receive an ITA!

However, OH has been speaking to several people who are saying it is now very hard to get into NZ. Apparently, one family were loaded but still got turned down - is it more to do with skills than money?

OH does tend to be rather pessimistic anything and would like to offer him some hope that we standard a good chance!

Confused of Berkhamsted xx
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:39 am
preet in the bays

preetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nice
Default Re: How hard is it?!

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
As you can see we have been selected from pool and are now waiting with baited breath to see if we receive an ITA!

However, OH has been speaking to several people who are saying it is now very hard to get into NZ. Apparently, one family were loaded but still got turned down - is it more to do with skills than money?

OH does tend to be rather pessimistic anything and would like to offer him some hope that we standard a good chance!

Confused of Berkhamsted xx
I got/get the feeling that civil service is sort of the same across the world. Apolgies to any cs's out there, but I got the impression that checklists are important. Presenting information with the correct spin will probably help - though if you have skeletons such as criminal convictions then these will count against you big time. In our case we also had the problem where certain medical conditions required expert testimonies (extra docs reports, etc).

I like to think that being an optimist helps you cope better if bad news hits :-)
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by preetsangha
I got/get the feeling that civil service is sort of the same across the world. Apolgies to any cs's out there, but I got the impression that checklists are important. Presenting information with the correct spin will probably help - though if you have skeletons such as criminal convictions then these will count against you big time. In our case we also had the problem where certain medical conditions required expert testimonies (extra docs reports, etc).

I like to think that being an optimist helps you cope better if bad news hits :-)
Hi

OH is on skilled shortage list as a cabinet maker.

Hoping this will help us and as far as I know we should pass the medicals (Hope so anyway!!). Have downloaded forms for police checks today.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:03 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

Money has nothing to do with it. They don't check financial status, debt levels or anything.

Points is what it's all about.

And determination.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, at least I can tell OH it has nothing to do with money!

Got 120 points on EOI, just hoping that is enough to get the ITA?

By the way, love the house you bought - congratulations!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:35 pm

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

By the way, love the house you bought - congratulations!
Thank you that's really kind of you. We were just happy to have bought a house but everyone has been positive about how it looks.

Just have to get used to the draughts, damp and rattling windows now, like all NZ houses!!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by preetsangha
Presenting information with the correct spin will probably help...
Spot on. Think about it for a sec. The people in immigration don't know you personally. You are your documents. Make it easy for them by having everything on the checklist presented in an orderly way and your chances of being processed and on your way are much higher. Throw a curly one in there or make someone processing the paperwork work harder, well. it just might go into the 'too-hard-I'll-get-around-to-it-later' basket.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by happynz
You are your documents. Make it easy for them by having everything on the checklist presented in an orderly way and your chances of being processed and on your way are much higher.
That's the best piece of advice you'll get whilst applying.

Whatever your points, experience or qualifications are, it won't make a difference if the immigration office thinks it is too difficult to check through.

We made sure we had full colour scan copies of all the relevant documents which were then placed behind its original.

Each section of documents was separated by another sheet that stated on it exactly, the documents that were provided in that section, to whom they concerned and also listed the copies.

In addition to all that, there was a covering letter detailing our intention to apply, how we matched the criteria to apply and what we could offer. We then also included another covering sheet that detailed every single section and document contained within our overall pack.

Don't get overawed by the ITA, it isn't as bad as it first looks, the important thing is to get it orderly, get it presentable, make it easily reviewable and get it right. Also, make sure you can include all your documents at the same time, and to this end apply for your police records and your medicals immediately - if anything is going to hold you up, it'll be the police records and the blood test results.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you think I should apply for our medicals now then - even though we haven't received an ITA yet?

What documents did you colour copy? All of them - birth certificates, passports, drivers licenses, etc. etc. etc. Did you do copies of the police and medical checks?

Sorry to be a hassle, but I obviously want to get it right!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Do you think I should apply for our medicals now then - even though we haven't received an ITA yet?

What documents did you colour copy? All of them - birth certificates, passports, drivers licenses, etc. etc. etc. Did you do copies of the police and medical checks?

You might want copies of the police checks and medicals but NZIS will keep the originals. All other original documents will be returned. That was our experience.
As for colour copies, erm...up to you. I had black and white copies and those seemed to suffice. The important thing is to follow the checklist sent along with the ITA packet. I did that and it worked a treat. Of course, double check and triple check to make sure it's all there.
Of course, helping out at your local food bank for a weekend or helping an old lady across the street for extra karma points doesn't hurt. Doesn't probably help your chances for getting your application successfully processed, but you'll be a better person for it.

Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Think we're going to need all the karma we can get! I hate filling in forms at the best of times and we don't tend to think of ourselves as lucky people!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:47 pm

No such thing as being a hassle about the ITA - if you've been through the experience it's only right you repay the help you received from other people.

All these questions have been asked a thousands of times by thousands of people and they'll continue to be aswell.

There is no need for colour copies, I just happen to have a scanner at home and therefore it just made it all slightly more attractive - bit of spin and marketing never hurt anyone and a good clear covering letter and breakdown of what you've included.

The ITA comes with a check list telling you what originals and what copies you need to provide. Most originals will also need copies provided with them. This is because they return the orginals to you and saves them the hassle of making the copies, but they need to see the orginals to prove they are genuine. It is things like passports, birth certifcates, marriage certificates etc - can't remember all of them, but the list they provide makes it very clear.

Just take your time going through it - but it is worth making sure you already know where all those kind of documents are as the last thing you need s to start turning the house upsaide down when you're getting close to your ITA expiration date.

Don't bother booking medicals until you have received your ITA as they are very expensive. Depending on your area, the approved doctors can often see you within the week (especially because you'll be paying for a private consultation - they'll chuck some poor NHS patient out the door and give you their appointment!) and the same goes for x-rays.

However, it is probably worth applying for the police check. They are GBP 10.00 per person and only those over 18 have to provide them. They can take up to 40 working days (8 weeks) so for a modest outlay you an get the ball rolling immediately and then that's one issue you won't have to deal with.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
No such thing as being a hassle about the ITA - if you've been through the experience it's only right you repay the help you received from other people.
Thanks for that! I just feel that some of my questions are probably ridiculous!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Thanks for that! I just feel that some of my questions are probably ridiculous!
Hey RedMonsk, just remember for every question you ask (no matter how ridiculous you may think it is) there are a load of others in the same position as you (inc. me!) who are avidly reading the responses you are getting and we are all taking notes!
Cheers!