British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How early did you take your kids out of school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-early-did-you-take-your-kids-out-school-891050/)

MrsFychan Feb 5th 2017 9:33 pm

Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

oh my would never of entered my head that I would send them first even with family here, do they actually know this grandparent, spent time with them?

My kids would probably of just got on with it but I would not of been able to function I don't think.

But only you really know how your children would cope. Also sending them early may have extra costs for schooling? is your partner a NZ Citizen or at least have PR? if not the children would need to pay international students fees I would assume ??

inkedneonurse Feb 5th 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12171807)
oh my would never of entered my head that I would send them first even with family here, do they actually know this grandparent, spent time with them?

My kids would probably of just got on with it but I would not of been able to function I don't think.

But only you really know how your children would cope. Also sending them early may have extra costs for schooling? is your partner a NZ Citizen or at least have PR? if not the children would need to pay international students fees I would assume ??

An interesting discussion so far...let me add some context my wife is a Brit and will be on my pr visa as well as the kids. They see their grandma every year and worship the ground she walks on. We are an ex army family (I used to be a squaddie) so moving is not something they aren't used to

Kotare Feb 6th 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12171814)
An interesting discussion so far...let me add some context my wife is a Brit and will be on my pr visa as well as the kids. They see their grandma every year and worship the ground she walks on. We are an ex army family (I used to be a squaddie) so moving is not something they aren't used to

Recognise the mindset. My kids happily travelled unaccompanied back and forth from UK boarding school long haul eg Cyprus, Hong Kong and Australia from the age of 8. The airlines look after them well and I haven't noticed any serious psychological impairment :-).

inkedneonurse Feb 6th 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12172060)
Recognise the mindset. My kids happily travelled unaccompanied back and forth from UK boarding school long haul eg Cyprus, Hong Kong and Australia from the age of 8. The airlines look after them well and I haven't noticed any serious psychological impairment :-).

I looked into unaccompanied flights but I think the MIL has plans to come over and stick up on British essentials (as at the moment we are her main supplier of these) so the would in all likelihood fly back with her...as for impairment they are nuts already so doubt we'd notice

simonsi Feb 6th 2017 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12172060)

Lol thats comparing a glorified bus journey with emigration? The issue is the change the children perceive, but hey OP can take advice or not as they see fit, everyone's circumstances are different.

inkedneonurse Feb 6th 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12172066)
Lol thats comparing a glorified bus journey with emigration? The issue is the change the children perceive, but hey OP can take advice or not as they see fit, everyone's circumstances are different.

I certainly can .....of course another question coming off this is..as in the main visa applicant can the kids even pass the boarder without me?

simonsi Feb 6th 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12172466)
I certainly can .....of course another question coming off this is..as in the main visa applicant can the kids even pass the boarder without me?

They should be able to come in fine I think - presuming any usual UM requirements are met for and by the airline. Don't forget ESTA's if coming via the US.

But do bear in mind they may be treated as International students until you arrive, that might be quite an impact and you should firm that up...the fees associated aren't cheap and may even be non-refundable IIRC.