Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How early did you take your kids out of school

How early did you take your kids out of school

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default How early did you take your kids out of school

Hey up in BE land

So looking at moving end of October. My mother in law, in a monumental act of good will, has said that she will take the brats off our hands for that final month before we go to..a.get them out from under our feet...b. Try and settle them into a new school (providing we end up living near her)... so my question what do I have to do when in order that my kinders don't go back after the summer holidays? Anyone got any experience?
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

I don't understand. How will she settled them into school unless, is she already in NZ? You need to clarify what you're asking!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I don't understand. How will she settled them into school unless, is she already in NZ? You need to clarify what you're asking!
Sorry BB I will go stand in the corner for a bit....she is an NZ resident and lives in Raglan and despite my preamble of an explanation the question is at the bottom of the post

Last edited by inkedneonurse; Feb 3rd 2017 at 2:23 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 3:25 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I am still confused.

so are you asking about in the UK or NZ?

Schools here don't go back to school until around 16th October from a two week break.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm sorry but I am still confused.

so are you asking about in the UK or NZ?

Schools here don't go back to school until around 16th October from a two week break.

I'm asking about the uk, what steps do I have to take to ensure that I don't get polite knocks on the door because I've not sent my kids back to school after the 6 week holiday
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:50 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

aahhhh ok

if you have already booked your flights or have your visa in place just tell them now that such and such a date will be their last day as you are immigrating. We did this and the school put on a little leavers do for my two,
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:53 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

So are you talking about your kids heading to NZ without you for the month?

As for what you tell the UK school, you just tell them your kids won't be returning after the hols as you are emigrating. Nobody will come knocking!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

My eldest son's secondary school wanted confirmation that he was enrolled in another school, but the primary school didn't care.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Yep as above, once you have a 'last day of school' date that suits your plans you just put it in writing to the school, my kids school did a lovely leavers fuss for both kids, however I would caution against too much fuss / holding on too much to the old school with communications etc as it can be quite upsetting for the kids.

My kids were out of school from 14/10/16 and started NZ school 1/2/17 there's no rush, take the time to settle and explore together, T3 ends 29/9 and starts up again 16/10 or there abouts for most NZ schools I imagine maybe that will help firm up your plans.

I don't really think its necessary for them to be away from you for a month during what will be a massively emotional time for them, to me its risking the whole move turning sour... my daughter is five, she has all her extended family here, grandparents that adore her, if she is over tired and has a fall or a scraped knee etc its all New Zealand's fault and it would never happen in England and she just wants to go back to her proper life... granted in true five yr old fashion it passes as quick as it comes on but its a very emotional time.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't really think its necessary for them to be away from you for a month during what will be a massively emotional time for them, to me its risking the whole move turning sour... my daughter is five, she has all her extended family here, grandparents that adore her, if she is over tired and has a fall or a scraped knee etc its all New Zealand's fault and it would never happen in England and she just wants to go back to her proper life... granted in true five yr old fashion it passes as quick as it comes on but its a very emotional time.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice.....mine are 14,12&8 and whilst I get where your coming from I think having them go before us is the option that causes the least stress all round however plans can and do change still only part way through what I need to do....the great job hunt is on
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
So are you talking about your kids heading to NZ without you for the month?

As for what you tell the UK school, you just tell them your kids won't be returning after the hols as you are emigrating. Nobody will come knocking!
Yep that's the one
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
aahhhh ok

if you have already booked your flights or have your visa in place just tell them now that such and such a date will be their last day as you are immigrating. We did this and the school put on a little leavers do for my two,
Cheers Mrs F that's not in place yet as the great job hunt is on but thanks for the info
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:30 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If your children are not resident in the UK you are not required to send your kids to school there, and it's none of their business whether they go to school overseas. However, it's good manners to tell the school and might be wise if you find yourself back in the country due to unexpected circumstances.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 6:14 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt do that, huge emotions, looooong flight on their own by the sound of it? You talk about kinders so young children? All sounds mad so maybe Im misunderstanding what you are suggesting or asking about.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 6:21 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
Thank you for the advice.....mine are 14,12&8 and whilst I get where your coming from I think having them go before us is the option that causes the least stress all round however plans can and do change still only part way through what I need to do....the great job hunt is on
Ah seen the ages now, certainly Id advise against sending them ahead, they will need your support at a time you wont be there.

I would, and did, leave them in UK school until the last minute to give them structure and distraction, then farewells and departure with us. Worked for us.

Cant stress enough I would not send them ahead of you, even with MIL in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.