Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how do you manage?

how do you manage?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about
Default how do you manage?

How does any one manage here?

My husband has been a plumber for 35 years with his own business but when we come to NZ his starting wage was 16 dollars an hour.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do you manage?

Originally Posted by cornerofsilence

My husband has been a plumber for 35 years with his own business but when we come to NZ his starting wage was 16 dollars an hour.

Hello
I think salary is one of the main things people should look at before they decide to come to NZ. Did you know what his salary would be before you arrived? {I'm not sure if you are here already..."when we come to NZ his starting wage was 16 dollars an hour"}.

Finding out if you can manage to live on a salary, should be a priority. If you read back through various threads, you will see that several people have returned to the UK, as they just could not survive on such a low wage.

Will you be going out to work?

Sorry is I sound a little negative.
Gill
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:33 am
Just Joined

lostscot is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared: Know how you feel.
When we came here on holiday things were pretty cheap as we were working in GBP. Now earning in Kiwi $, things seem expensive.
Anyway we will give it a while before deciding what to do.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:46 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry he can get more. Does he have his Gas qualifications. Any Plumbers that we met whether it be expats or Kiwis were getting min $20ph. My hubby was getting $20 in Ta\uranga and $21 in Auckland (poor for Auckland).

Where are you heading? I have a brill link for the Master Plumbers Board that has tons of jobs on it for all over NZ. If you need any advice re process etc feel free to ask.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cornerofsilence

Hmmm, not a very good wage at all is it? As Gill said, the salaries can make or break your time in NZ. Are you working? Have you got a family to support also?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:06 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Hmmm, not a very good wage at all is it? As Gill said, the salaries can make or break your time in NZ. Are you working? Have you got a family to support also?
The repairs and maintenance bills on my rental place in Dunedin show surprisingly low call out fees and hourly rates, which is of course great for me but crap for the tradies.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Could you live on $36000nzd with a wife and two children aged 9 and 7 near Te Awamutu (I think) near Hamilton?

We've been offered a job with NZ prison service but need to know.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

If you did not have a mortgage, car loans or any loans yes. Otherwise you'll be scrimping. Succint but in my experience your salary does not go far.
Roger
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

lostscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Could you live on $36000nzd with a wife and two children aged 9 and 7 near Te Awamutu (I think) near Hamilton?

We've been offered a job with NZ prison service but need to know.
Not a chance on that!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

what if I worked part time?

No mortgage as we would be bringing approx £160,000 stirling.

No Loans but also no-one to look after kids if I work during school holidays

Only 2 kids one football mad and good at it too but also runs for local athletics club and swimming club, golf etc - so costs a bit in way of activities.

Also what about Te Awamutu or would you advise living in Hamilton and commuting to Waikeria Prison?

Any advice welcome
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:01 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

TBH being kid free I dont know if you would manage if you could find a part time job..... it took me nearly 5 months to find a part time job and the wage was $11 per hour... I worked 20 hrs and took home every week $180.

House prices in Hamilton are def on the way up, as is the same with the NZ as a whole... but with that amount of sterling you will be laughing... leave some money in the bank incase your partner takes a while to find a job. I would advise that she help out at the local school in the first instance because if there are any vacancies they wont advertise..... right time, right place as they say.