Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do you "cope" with your kids adpoting a Kiwi accent?

How do you "cope" with your kids adpoting a Kiwi accent?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all
Default Re: How do you "cope" with your kids adpoting a Kiwi accent?

You made the choice, live with it!
Originally Posted by Catchafire
I love New Zealand, I love living here, I love the people. I am proud to be the parent to two beautiful young kiwi girls.

Except my eldest is now saying things like

burd=bird
Fhirst=first
hoorts=hurts

And it really annoys me!

So I encourage her to say it the "proper British" way, hopefully without coming across as a intolerant bigoted d*&khead.

How did it work out with your kids?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I did adapt to saying Lunch instead of Dinner too to avoid confusion but I've reverted back, the word Lunch didn't exist in Yorkshire (unless you were a bit of a nob) and in my eyes it still doesn't. I can't bring myself to use it, I feel like a hooray Henry champagne quaffing tory voting ex public school double barreled named posh type if I do.
I'm the same, lunch sounds so wrong to me! Mr S has had to get used to breakfast, dinner and tea

Originally Posted by BEVS
Um. They and I for that matter are saying yes-no. One after the other. Not a shortened version of Yis, I know.

Mom if you come from the UK Midlands, Mum if you come from the UK South.
Mam if you come from the North East. And I think Ireland and Wales say this as well
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Absolutely no way am I going to lose my accent, nor will the wife lose her Brummie accent. Infact the natives here love her Brummie accent. man I can tell they've not ever visited England if that's the case. They'd probably love a scouse accent n all
This made me laugh - I can attest to once thinking that the scouse accent was dead sexy. Growing up in NZ I once dated a guy with scouse parents. I loved it when he imitated the accent. Sounded exotic to my ears. Perhaps the only time that the scouse accent has been used as "bedroom talk"?? After living in Cheshire, within spitting distance of Liverpool, I now react in horror if anything scouse-sounding comes out of the kids mouths . I have picked up the antipathy/rivarly between Liverpool and Cheshire obv - Cheshire always did think they were a cut above.

Even though I sounded completely kiwi when I moved here, after all this time my accent has adjusted little by little. When I return to NZ, many kiwi's think I am English (although any Brit can tell at first word that I am kiwi/aussie). Even my mum, broad Irish accent and all, sounds a bit kiwi when I call her. She emigrated to NZ aged 45, but has lost some of her accent. So never say never!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:46 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
This made me laugh - I can attest to once thinking that the scouse accent was dead sexy. Growing up in NZ I once dated a guy with scouse parents. I loved it when he imitated the accent. Sounded exotic to my ears. Perhaps the only time that the scouse accent has been used as "bedroom talk"?? !
Sorry to any Scousers out there but that made me laugh 'Say that to me one more time in Liverpudlian and I'm all yours....'

Trafford, are you female then? Sorry to ask but I always assumed you were male, oops. You may be gay of course. Shall I stop digging this hole now
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Trafford, are you female then? Sorry to ask but I always assumed you were male, oops. You may be gay of course. Shall I stop digging this hole now
Haha - yes I am a woman - can't you tell from all the sense I talk ? But, I was once the only straight in the village, so to speak. In a minority of one in a lgbt flat. Had a rocking social life for the few years I flatted there - or is that too stereotypical?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:16 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Sorry to any Scousers out there but that made me laugh 'Say that to me one more time in Liverpudlian and I'm all yours....'
That made me laugh as well! I should put on a Barry from Brookside wig on, I am sure my wife will melt at the knees.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

caught myself talking to my daughter and ending the sentence like a question and the voice going up , apologised as soon as I realised have now brushed my teeth and mouth out several times
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:35 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad is from Birkenhead, across the Mersey from Liverpool. Scouse accents are therefore a real passion killer for me !
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter is a Kiwi. She speaks with about 70% Kiwi and 30% Yorkshire at the moment.

We have British friends who keep correcting their Kiwi daughter's vowels to make her sound more English. It's not going to last! The minute she starts school, that's it, pure Kiwi. No point stressing about it.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Our daughter is a Kiwi. She speaks with about 70% Kiwi and 30% Yorkshire at the moment.

We have British friends who keep correcting their Kiwi daughter's vowels to make her sound more English. It's not going to last! The minute she starts school, that's it, pure Kiwi. No point stressing about it.
It's ultimately futile, isn't it?

Interesting about your Kiwi:Yorkie daughter.

I was served by a Turkish immigrant in the bank yesterday, she'd been here for 5 years and the accent in her sentences went from Turkish to Kiwi to Turkish to Kiwi ... She then ended the conversation with the word 'awesome'.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:12 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they have the skill to flip between accents, then it will stand them in good stead, especially if they decide to live/work overseas.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As long as they have the skill to flip between accents, then it will stand them in good stead, especially if they decide to live/work overseas.
Yis
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:24 pm
Queen of the Underworld

That made me laugh as well! I should put on a Barry from Brookside wig on, I am sure my wife will melt at the knees.
eh, eh, eh calm down, eh, calm down calm down dear, I'm not finished yet
Let us know how you get on with the impending divorce....
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:25 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

I love New Zealand, I love living here, I love the people. I am proud to be the parent to two beautiful young kiwi girls.

Except my eldest is now saying things like

burd=bird
Fhirst=first
hoorts=hurts

And it really annoys me!

So I encourage her to say it the "proper British" way, hopefully without coming across as a intolerant bigoted d*&khead.

How did it work out with your kids?
When I first arrived and heard the kiwi accent I immediately went and had a vasectomy.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
When I first arrived and heard the kiwi accent I immediately went and had a vasectomy.
Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.