British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How do car doors open??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-do-car-doors-open-874077/)

mikelincs Mar 10th 2016 8:00 am

How do car doors open???

Just read this, it was a while ago, but can't find it on Snopes, so it MAY be true.

Couple “trapped” in hi-tech keyless car forgot to try the door handle… | The Poke

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 10th 2016 8:13 am

Re: How do car doors open???

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11891331)
Just read this, it was a while ago, but can't find it on Snopes, so it MAY be true.

Couple “trapped” in hi-tech keyless car forgot to try the door handle… | The Poke

Happened on the south island, so most likely due to in-breeding :scarper:

moneypenny20 Mar 10th 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11891331)

After the first hour wouldn't you have tried anything and everything? Idiots :rofl:

mikelincs Mar 10th 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11891348)
After the first hour wouldn't you have tried anything and everything? Idiots :rofl:

That's why I did check it on Snopes before posting it, but yes I would try anything, and, lets face it no car is airtight in any case. It all sounds very dubious.

LittleGreyCat Mar 10th 2016 10:22 am

Is the woman's name of Molljeanne an indicator that they may be tourists from another very large continent?

Stormer999 Mar 10th 2016 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 11891416)
Is the woman's name of Molljeanne an indicator that they may be tourists from another very large continent?

Brian Smith is very Asian...:thumbdown:

Pulaski Mar 10th 2016 5:16 pm

One of my mother's colleagues was inadvertently locked in their car by her husband, back in the late 80's or early 90's when Vauxhall/GM introduced high security deadbolt locks on their cars to prevent someone smashing the window and just unlocking the door - if you locked the car from the outside it could not be unlocked from the inside.

In the era before everyone carried a mobile phone, she was locked in the car outside their friends' house until her husband came back to find out where she was. :rofl:

jmh Mar 10th 2016 7:01 pm

My mum has a car that locks if the keyholder walks out of range. I was in the car while she popped into a shop with the keys in her hand. The car locked itself and I couldn't open it with the handle. It wasn't long before she got back, but it made me wonder about the safety. There is probably a setting somewhere to turn the option off. Perhaps I better look into it further.

Charismatic Mar 11th 2016 4:40 am

Reported in the New Zealand Herald as well: Couple trapped in keyless car for 13 hours - National - NZ Herald News

Looks like they might have been oldies from that story. Bless 'em.

Parnell Mar 13th 2016 5:00 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11891928)
My mum has a car that locks if the keyholder walks out of range. I was in the car while she popped into a shop with the keys in her hand. The car locked itself and I couldn't open it with the handle. It wasn't long before she got back, but it made me wonder about the safety. There is probably a setting somewhere to turn the option off. Perhaps I better look into it further.

I had a lemon of a merc in the 90's that used to lock when I was washing it. Even with key in the ignition (that was the issue - all doors locked with key in ignition, me on outside red faced with bucket and soapy water).