Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do car doors open???

How do car doors open???

Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do car doors open???

Just read this, it was a while ago, but can't find it on Snopes, so it MAY be true.

Couple “trapped” in hi-tech keyless car forgot to try the door handle… | The Poke
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do car doors open???

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just read this, it was a while ago, but can't find it on Snopes, so it MAY be true.

Couple “trapped” in hi-tech keyless car forgot to try the door handle… | The Poke
Happened on the south island, so most likely due to in-breeding
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

After the first hour wouldn't you have tried anything and everything? Idiots
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
After the first hour wouldn't you have tried anything and everything? Idiots
That's why I did check it on Snopes before posting it, but yes I would try anything, and, lets face it no car is airtight in any case. It all sounds very dubious.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Is the woman's name of Molljeanne an indicator that they may be tourists from another very large continent?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 4:49 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Is the woman's name of Molljeanne an indicator that they may be tourists from another very large continent?
Brian Smith is very Asian...
Old Mar 10th 2016, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

One of my mother's colleagues was inadvertently locked in their car by her husband, back in the late 80's or early 90's when Vauxhall/GM introduced high security deadbolt locks on their cars to prevent someone smashing the window and just unlocking the door - if you locked the car from the outside it could not be unlocked from the inside.

In the era before everyone carried a mobile phone, she was locked in the car outside their friends' house until her husband came back to find out where she was.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has a car that locks if the keyholder walks out of range. I was in the car while she popped into a shop with the keys in her hand. The car locked itself and I couldn't open it with the handle. It wasn't long before she got back, but it made me wonder about the safety. There is probably a setting somewhere to turn the option off. Perhaps I better look into it further.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How do car doors open???

Reported in the New Zealand Herald as well: Couple trapped in keyless car for 13 hours - National - NZ Herald News

Looks like they might have been oldies from that story. Bless 'em.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
My mum has a car that locks if the keyholder walks out of range. I was in the car while she popped into a shop with the keys in her hand. The car locked itself and I couldn't open it with the handle. It wasn't long before she got back, but it made me wonder about the safety. There is probably a setting somewhere to turn the option off. Perhaps I better look into it further.

I had a lemon of a merc in the 90's that used to lock when I was washing it. Even with key in the ignition (that was the issue - all doors locked with key in ignition, me on outside red faced with bucket and soapy water).