Houses in NZ

Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Houses in NZ

[QUOTE=Genesis;5887019]Hi DJ, houses always an imotive subject in NZ. We have a 1991 build, owned it 3 years. Its not been without problems but we love it for its location alone.

Hi Genesis, gr8 post, thanks for all the info. Cpl of things we didn't understand, DVS ? sorry may be being really thick here....

Also, did you say you do have central heating?

The final thing we just can't get our head around is the dampness and condensation. Is it something special to NZ as we thought if we built a house with proper damp proof course, central heating, double glazing and fully insulated, once it's initialy dried out there shouldn't be any of these problems. Its a bit confusing
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

DVS = Domestic Ventilation System http://www.dvs.co.nz/
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=daveandjue123;5889202]
Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi DJ, houses always an imotive subject in NZ. We have a 1991 build, owned it 3 years. Its not been without problems but we love it for its location alone.

Hi Genesis, gr8 post, thanks for all the info. Cpl of things we didn't understand, DVS ? sorry may be being really thick here....

Also, did you say you do have central heating?

The final thing we just can't get our head around is the dampness and condensation. Is it something special to NZ as we thought if we built a house with proper damp proof course, central heating, double glazing and fully insulated, once it's initialy dried out there shouldn't be any of these problems. Its a bit confusing
Yes we had a Euro CH system installed by Savona NZ. Its very good!! Used reasonably it won't rip yer arm off either come bill time!!!!! Now the thing with damp. I think its because we are in a country that has far more humidity than the UK. UK air is of a drier variety. The actual houses here are not damp (unless they leak of course..and I have had that too!!!!) as in what we think of in the UK a breached damp course, they are damp because of the amount of moisture in the air....the latter excentuated when a house is warm on the inside has cold air banging on the window to get in.

I have a friend who has a house thats about 150 years older than mine has no DVS but he has NOT ONE Bit of condensation..reason being his house is full, utterly full of draughts...circulating air means less or no condensation..thats why DVS is really good.

Another mate built a big old house by bthe beach down in Peka Peka and because he put in DG (just $10k more for a 320 sq mt house!!!!!!!) he has no condensation thus no damp.

Re dehumidifiers I would buy them here...they are very cheap and I got most of mine 2nd hand off trademe. The best make seems to be Mitsibushi. They only run on about 400watts...thats 0.4 of a unit per hour and if you have cheap leccy from Genesis Electric (ALAS NO CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) they are very reasonable to run..totally transformed our house. I will probably still run them with our DG as even without 'crying windows' there will be moisture from our breathing in the house..and the drier the air come morning time the easier it is for my CH to work!!!

Great thing about dehumids is that they give off an ambient heat....which is nice. Thank you K and DJ for your kind words!! Sorry about the spelling mistakes..posted well late with port on board...I say!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough

Yet again thanks Genesis,

It's nice to start a thread that doesn't go down the pan and is informative.

Can you tell me how you issue karma as I think you deserve a wack of it.

Cheers

Dave.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Houses in NZ

[QUOTE=daveandjue123;5889202]
Originally Posted by Genesis
I can't get my head round this either and I live here. My oldish house does not seem to get any crying windows at all so from what you are saying it must have draughts - it probably does through the sash windows.
I thought I didn't have the crying windows because I kept it well heated (I don't have a dehumidifier at all) - but I think Genesis must be right. I do have warm air central heating which I do not hesitate to put on but the bills are very high for it but then as there is no insulation, it all just goes straight out.

I stayed in some modern temporary accommodation in the centre of Wellington in July and couldn't believe why the windows cried so much...I still don't get it but pointing a fan heater at the window dried it up, hence why I thought heating was the answer.

Hopefully you will be fine if you plan to build to your own spec. Damp living conditions are certainly not good for the health and many Kiwis don't seem to realise this. We were told in Wellington not to rent a house which didn't get lots of sun as that makes a difference to damp levels as well.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:11 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely right.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
Yet again thanks Genesis,

It's nice to start a thread that doesn't go down the pan and is informative.

Can you tell me how you issue karma as I think you deserve a wack of it.

Cheers

Dave.
Thank you!! Just look at my post..(or anyone's who you want to give Karma to) and click on the 'karma' icon on the bottom left hand...then you can deliver said Karma. Thank you again!!