Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

house renting and buying costs compared to oz

Wikiposts

house renting and buying costs compared to oz

Old May 14th 2007, 1:50 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: house renting and buying costs compared to oz

Originally Posted by kancell
so approximately what take home pay would that be with a salary of $70k, as this seems roughly the average in my job.

how would this salary equate to the prices of homes and living in auckland?

my girlfriend is a recently qualified primary teacher, how would the salary compare to mine and the average salary? also hard is it to get a job in nz teaching? ive done a lot of research on oz and teachers appear to get paid very little and have to jump through lots of red tape, and at best really only get supply jobs
You should bring in about NZ$1000/week net.
You'd be able to rent someplace okayish. If you were planning to buy a house in a reasonable neighbourhood, well...I hope you are cashed up for a whacking big deposit.

Last edited by happynz; May 14th 2007 at 1:53 pm.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

i see. we would hopefully have my girlfriends teacher salary and a decent bit of equity as well from uk sale, so could hopefully manage something nice if needed... but the idea is to move to enjoy our money more and have better disposable income.

hey matildaskye, it's queensland we are actively looking at as well, i remember you from a previous thread. is it really looking that bad for teachers in QLD? QLD is still our first choice, but if my girlfriend struggles to get a job i cant see her wanting to stick it out as she's very career orientated. doh.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:59 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I moved to the NT to get a job!! I really could not say cut and dried, because there will always be exceptions, and it could be that I'm in an entirely different 'type' to your partner! I'm secondary, and returning to work from maternity/being in the UK. Prior to that I only had 6 mths teaching experience in Qld, so I guess I'm coming from behind in the race to get a job. No jobs came up in my subject areas in my area (moreton west) or even nearby (bris or g coast). I applied for what I thought was an unappealing job (part-time, not so great area) and there were over a dozen other teachers at the INTERVIEW! I thought they usually culled it down to 2 or 3!!

Check Career One. The Gold Coast Bulletin. The Courier Mail (Brissy). Career One is there job lift out so you can check the same jobs online. Check:
http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

for links to Cath Ed and Edu Qld. I'm sure she knows about registration, but just in case, you need to be registered with Board of Teachers (actually called Qld College of Teachers now). Think it cost me $60 pa but there's an initial application fee as well. Then you need to apply for registration with Edu Qld if you want to teach in state schools. There's a rating system used here for teachers, which I believe is straightforward if you have enough experience, but requires an interview if not. They might be doing the interview thing for all teachers now, not sure - talk to them!

Register with TRACER for supply. I believe (at least i have heard from teaching colleagues in my area) that if you are prepared to wait long enough you might get longer term contracts and eventually permanent, however there is the issue of country service in the state system. Plus a lot of the teachers still teaching in my area were teaching there in the 80s when i was there, and probably before. Young teachers my age (26) and below who want to go back to our area are having to go way out west (or NT in my case) or take on sporadic supply.

That said, it does depend on what your partner has to offer skills and experience wise. There are also independent schools!