Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

house renting and buying costs compared to oz

house renting and buying costs compared to oz

Old May 8th 2007, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default house renting and buying costs compared to oz

hey, been searching for a thread listing approx costs for housing in both these countries. still very early in decision making process, but looking at all aspects.

we would be hoping to rent at first, no matter where we end up, to see if we take to it. done quite a bit of research on oz, and it's looking like we could get a nice 3-4 bed house, in a dececnt area in sunshine/gold coast for $350 a week, or $350-400k to buy. just wondering how similar these estimates would be in suburbs on the outskirts of auckland, where the majority of my work would be located.

any other general comparisons would be appreciated
Old May 8th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice
Default Re: house renting and buying costs compared to oz

In auckland adn specifically the titarangi area west auckland including laingholm your looking at around 350-500k nz$ to buy a 2-3 bed house though this is a bush region and close to the beach and it's stunning its the area I am looking in. Hence the expense.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:02 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest - what line of work are you in. It just seems to me, that if you are confident of getting a job on the Gold Coast then there will be other places in NZ that will suit you, and may be cheaper to rent in too.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:14 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We rent a 3 bed house on a full size section for $320 a week. The only bills we have to pay is power and phone/internet

Your deposit is quite steep if you rent through an agent, which we did cos rentals here don't hang around long. We paid bond, rent in advance and a months rent too, which came to about $3,000!!!!!
Old May 9th 2007, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We are over in Howick area the houses for rent are from$380-550 per week.
Houses to buy depending on style area and age $500 and upwards .
Old May 9th 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
Out of interest - what line of work are you in. It just seems to me, that if you are confident of getting a job on the Gold Coast then there will be other places in NZ that will suit you, and may be cheaper to rent in too.
im a building services engineer in the construction industry, so would be looking for employment by designers or contractors. ive searched on hays.com/au and there appears to be jobs in auckland..... but not as many in gold coast, and theres millions in brisbane!

need to do some more revision on the nz climate first, everywhere i look folk are moaning how cold it is in the winter and wet pretty much all year round...... pretty much the reasons i want to move from scotland!
Old May 9th 2007, 11:32 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
need to do some more revision on the nz climate first, everywhere i look folk are moaning how cold it is in the winter and wet pretty much all year round...... pretty much the reasons i want to move from scotland!
It's certainly better than sunny Peterhead, I can assure you. I come from the Moray Firth and I think it is better weather here. We have an orange tree in our garden - never able to grow one in scotland!
I have been trying to explain the difference to my Kiwi co-workers today. It would be November in Britain as June July and August are the winter months here. So, November in Scotland: nippy, frosty, dreich, hat, gloves and scarf weather. Here, in what is the 3rd month of Autumn: cold at night, warm enough by 10am to sit outside in shorts and T-shirt reading in the garden. I got caught out today and forgot sun-block: now my face is red and feels like it may peel .
Old May 9th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
It's certainly better than sunny Peterhead, I can assure you. I come from the Moray Firth and I think it is better weather here. We have an orange tree in our garden - never able to grow one in scotland!
I have been trying to explain the difference to my Kiwi co-workers today. It would be November in Britain as June July and August are the winter months here. So, November in Scotland: nippy, frosty, dreich, hat, gloves and scarf weather. Here, in what is the 3rd month of Autumn: cold at night, warm enough by 10am to sit outside in shorts and T-shirt reading in the garden. I got caught out today and forgot sun-block: now my face is red and feels like it may peel .
Did you have your shades on? Have you got those Panda Eyes?
Old May 9th 2007, 11:59 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Did you have your shades on? Have you got those Panda Eyes?
Ohh, Ha Ha Ha.........:curse:
And how much sun have you got today?!!
It calmed down after a while but my patients asked if I had been in the sun so it must have been noticeable cos they don't DO subtle!
Old May 9th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

is it true the take home pay in nz is approx 78%? as opposed to oz at about 70%, and uk 66%.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:41 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kancell
is it true the take home pay in nz is approx 78%? as opposed to oz at about 70%, and uk 66%.
Basic NZ tax primer:

NZ$0-38,000 -- 19.5%

NZ$38,001-59,999 -- 33%

NZ$60,000+ -- 39%

ACC -- 1.6%

YMMV
Old May 13th 2007, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Bogor will become famous soon enoughBogor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by karonious
Its the hours of sunshine that make the real difference, look up how many hrs of sunshine you get in Scotland it will be less than 900 I bet, most places in NZ will be higher than 1300. That to me makes the biggest difference. When people moan about the cold they are usually used to living with CH in the UK - give me sun over heat any day...
Old May 13th 2007, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

sneed will become famous soon enough

i know it's nothing to do with oz or nz but i used to work in peterhead, scotland, it's very cold all the time
Old May 14th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Basic NZ tax primer:

NZ$0-38,000 -- 19.5%

NZ$38,001-59,999 -- 33%

NZ$60,000+ -- 39%

ACC -- 1.6%

YMMV
so approximately what take home pay would that be with a salary of $70k, as this seems roughly the average in my job.

how would this salary equate to the prices of homes and living in auckland?

my girlfriend is a recently qualified primary teacher, how would the salary compare to mine and the average salary? also hard is it to get a job in nz teaching? ive done a lot of research on oz and teachers appear to get paid very little and have to jump through lots of red tape, and at best really only get supply jobs
Old May 15th 2007, 1:28 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

it's not all bad in Nz re: teaching - look at edgazette for more info. in some areas they are actively recruiting teachers from the UK so she might be able to get things sorted before you go over.

as opposed to Queensland (where you are otherwise headed, I think?) where the Education dept has just opened up a new scheme whereby they will pay primary teachers to change careers!!!!!

There's a teaching thread on here with lots of info as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.