Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND

Wikiposts

HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND

Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:15 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND

Originally Posted by happynz
NZ$175000/week! That must be verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice place, dontcha think?
This one's a stunner

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...htm?key=528636
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Campbells
We stayed in Glendowie for a few months and just couldn't get used to the sub-standards.

We have moved to the North Shore and the general standard is much better than the areas you have mentioned. The down side is that driving is a must up here, the upside is that there is less traffic than suburbs closer to the city.

Try to ignore the members here that will attempt to bully you into saying what they will allow you to say. I have had my fair share of run ins on this forum.

The one member mentioned your topics not being PC that should explain a lot. You get the PC brigade that want to tell you how to think, what to say, how to say it and obviously coming from the UK you will be no stranger to the results that PCism has offered.

Regardless of what people say, there is a definite culture shock for people coming to New Zealand. We were invited to a fireworks evening 20 minutes north west of Auckland and the term Hillbilly comes to mind. We have been here nearly three years.

I can only say I wouldn’t generalise and suggest that because you have posted these topics you are not going to like it here. I would say it is better to address the issues and see if there are better options on offer in New Zealand and how others have coped with similar findings.

If this is the first time you have moved country you will be faced with challenges wherever you decide to re-settle. New Zealand has its downside and its good side too.

Now that you have started the process of looking at your options and obviously invested in the discovery and assessment of it all you are going to be faced with the big one:

Should we stay or should we go

On that I would say, go. Simply because, it is the route that you have started and if you never attempt to complete the journey you will be haunted with the “what if”.

If you came to New Zealand without cutting major ties in the UK ( selling house or whatever) you could give it a chance for six months or so. At least spend one summer here and you may find you will like many other aspects of the country.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
That's pretty accurate.
You can rent a nice house but you will pay for it. (cental heating NO)
Give it a go the good points might outweigh the bad.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Good advice Campbells. We looked many a place in NZ before we settled for the North Shore. I just find it so much better crossing that bridge and getting into more colour and light than there is in the centre of Auckland. And, the 350 dollars a week we pay for a unit seems to be around the norm no matter where you go in Auckland.

I'd also agree about not burning your bridges before you see if it suits you. I think immigrants coming now are in a much better position than say those who came in the fifties and sixties. People who come now are better travelled, more worldly and already used to a high standard of living. Therefore, it is natural for them to criticise what they see as things which could be done better. Also, people don't feel they have to decide for life - things are more flexible these days and many may decide to live in different places.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

OneManAndHisDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - rents are high and the quality of properties piss poor. I work in the CBD and have come to the conclusion it's a trade off between a crappy commute and a crappy house. It may take some getting used to, although I haven't yet.

I've found all the major estate agents quite unhelpful if not downright rude so would appreciate any tips on good ones to use.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:18 pm
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

Is this acceptable? Haven’t seen any houses with double-glazing or central heating and to be honest most of the rentals we looked at felt cold inside. Are there no minimum standards in New Zealand?
Yes there are very strict building standards. Also double glazing is now compulsary in most parts of NZ for new builds.

Not sure if I will ever adapt to the shoes off at the door thing. Is that because of the mud?
No, its a hygiene thing, I find it totally disgusting in the UK when people walk inside with shoes on after walking on pavements covered in dog shite, spit and other human waste. I dont want that walked through a house carpet.

Last edited by Baron Silas Greenback; Nov 6th 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The very point of a recce visit is to see whether the place suits and sure as eggs are eggs there will be issues raised if you look at the realities of day to day life, as you have, rather than going on some jolly glossy tour of all the tourist offerings.

It is no crime to look for the negatives and fear the worst if it saves a costly decision.

Not at all odd that the two points Tanya has raised, housing and driving, are common to the gripes of many, many other migrants. IMHO the housing issues being the biggest hurdle to overcome in order to make for a happy and sucessful transition. These can of course be overcome if they are planned for. Many a migrant does not discover these realities until after having made the final leap, lock stock and barrel to this land - so Tanya you do have the upper hand, you are aware of the stickiest bits and may well save yourself a lot of fretting, £ notes and stresses in deciding that NZ is possibly not for you.

It is a fact that you do have to look at a lot of properties to find one that suits; in an area that you like that is not damp or cold. They are available, but no one single agent will have all good properties and you just have to trawl through them all until you find one that is acceptable. Prices don't necessarily reflect the state of properties either. Some of the cheaper ones can be nicer than the more expensive ones - it is very hit and miss. We rented a lovely new house for nearly a year and I believe that counted in a big way towards our succesful settlement, considering what some of the alternatives were.

Forewarned is forearmed, as they say, and there's nothing like seeing the reality for yourself to confirm or deny any pre-conceived ideas, or so-called negativity of those who dare to say bad things about NZ.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you will make the right one for you and your family.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tanya64;5520662]

Not sure if I will ever adapt to the shoes off at the door thing. Is that because of the mud?QUOTE]

No, it's to keep your shoes clean
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:21 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Given your first two posts Tanya 64 and that you were disappointed with the boards response,
You reckon
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Keep it in context.

Given your first two posts Tanya 64 and that you were disappointed with the boards response, perhaps it would be more beneficial to you, if you were to tell us what you want or hope from New Zealand. You will then received a variety of differing opinions & responses as to what you can expect. Many of those will be based on experiences and will be subjective not objective as you would expect. Mixed in with that will be as always, good , solid factual help and information.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Keep it in context.
Hey Sue,

I was referring to the other topic of Tanya’s that has had a huge response.

My British sense of humour