house prices

Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

geroge_swift is an unknown quantity at this point
Default house prices

ive been looking at the estate agents sites , and this is all well and good but i want to know some first hand experience of what its like buying a house in NZ and how the prices compare to in the uk.
the area were looking at is the west coast near auckland muriwai.
but any info on coast prices would be appreciated. if its any help i have about £150,000 to spend on a house just wondeering what i could get for this.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:08 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house prices

Have you had a look at Trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

£150,000 = approx $300,000, which is not going to get you a whole lot.

Buying a house is pretty strightforward.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Have you had a look at Trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

£150,000 = approx $300,000, which is not going to get you a whole lot.

Buying a house is pretty strightforward.
Totally agree. However if you came to the Manawatu where I live (lower north Island) $300k will buy you a nice, reasonably sized shed. $300k up there will buy you a tiny shed. No stamp duty in NZ, fees of around $1200 and stuff like house surveys and LIMs will be about another $1200 which are not essential but advisable. A LIM is a Land Info memorandum which is basically a file held by the council about all the stuff on your house. House buying in Nz could not be easier. A very, very good pretty much bullet proof system that WILL NOT allow gazumping a shite practices of that ilk.

Do not say you have just arrived but that you are relocating from somewhere else in NZ. Estate agents and anyone else WILL take the piss if they know you are straight off the plane (they did with us). I would not say you have the cash either people will take advantage (they did with us) of this as well thinking you are hugely cashed up. Having nothing to sell (as you have simply left your rental in the South Island!!!!!) will put you in a strong position. Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geroge_swift
ive been looking at the estate agents sites , and this is all well and good but i want to know some first hand experience of what its like buying a house in NZ and how the prices compare to in the uk.
but any info on coast prices would be appreciated. if its any help i have about £150,000 to spend on a house just wondeering what i could get for this.
The nearer to Muriwai you get the more bachy beach / second home / temporary holiday territory it becomes. If you haven't been there or seen it I would hold off on any thoughts and wait until you get to have a look see. It's absolutely packed out with Aucklanders on summer weekends; very wild and isolated (dead as do-do) during the winter.

I'm not even sure it is possible to buy a house anywhere in Auckland for $300k, it would be seriously in need of renovation or an apartment, which limits your choice of areas quite a bit. Maybe look at apartments or new town house / units around Albany?

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Nov 22nd 2011 at 6:03 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hold your fire, if people continue to leave NZ in droves you will be able to pick up a bargain eventually.

Just dont buy a rotten, damp, wooden pile of junk (not so easy in NZ I know).
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

it is straight forward buying a house. generally you make an offer, subject to finance and an inspection. the vendor usually counters asking you to raise the price etc. once you agree you have an agreed time to go "unconditional" ie get all your finance in place etc. its all in writing and you cannot pull out once the offer has gone uncinditional has been accepted. gives everyone certainty. if the house goes on auction yiu can bid on it but the bid has to be unconditional. so you need all your finance etc sorted before bidding.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Have ask, Why Muriwai ??
Dont be under the impression its close to auckland, Muriwai is a bloody long drive to anywhere
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

and there are lots of houses in Auckland for not much over 300K
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

been really busy working so havent had chance to read this for a while, what i meant to say is that i will have £150,000 or so just cash to put in , but i could easily get a decent mortgage to allow purchase of a better house.
and the reason i want (ie the boys want) to go to muriwai is apparently its good for surfing, and the 40min drive to auckland cbd (according to google directions) seems resonable.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Please be aware that there is NOTHING in Muriwai, I think it has a Dairy and thats it. no other shops or pub or bar or supermarket...
I've watched surfers having a blast at loads of beaches here in aux, Orewa and Stanmore bay for example.
would hate you to get there and find out its dead, but each to their own
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

jsut had a look on google streetview at the 2 areas you mentioned they seem nice and the faster travel time to auckland cbd would be a bonus, what are the prices and communitee like round there if you have experience it?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Orewa is a bit of a hotspot for retired folk but its also a fairly busy holiday place in the summer
Stanmore,is just round the corner from me but tbh i've only been a couple of times as the attraction
there is the beach and as I live on a beach I dont feel the need to travel to others close by.
Both have the basics needed for human habitation close by (bars, bottleshops and supermarkets) and
I know Stanmore has a great sports centre and thriving football club.
Best thing would be to start a thread asking for opinions on them, that will attract the locals who will have more knowledge.
Does it have to be Auckland?? BOP has some great surfing as does Raglan west of hamilton
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

jsut had a look on google streetview at the 2 areas you mentioned they seem nice and the faster travel time to auckland cbd would be a bonus, what are the prices and communitee like round there if you have experience it?
If you're traveling from Orewa/Stanmore Bay into the CBD and you're going through morning rush hour traffic, expect to be driving/sitting going nowhere for at least an hour! Traffic is horrendous going over the bridge to the CBD. I have lived in both Orewa and just minutes from Stanmore Bay and they are both lovely places, although we didn't have to commute to the CBD.

Maybe have a look on the North Shore or possibly somewhere in Auckland city...??
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

i dont want to be based in auckland city, as the idea of the move is the ability to come back to a house a be able to go to the beach after work and for the boys to be able to go surfing after school, and it needs to be near auckland because thats where the biggest financial hub is in NZ and where all the jobs are for accountants. so anymore suggestion for areas within about a 50minute drive from auckland cba with a good surfing beach???

orewa looks nice and the distance from auckland city is about right but apparently the surf there is flat. so the boys would not be pleased. =(

Last edited by geroge_swift; Nov 26th 2011 at 2:07 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Auckland is literally surrounded by beaches, On the north shore you have beaches all the way up the east coast
from Devonport right up to long bay. On the other side of the water you also have places like Mission bay,
kohimarama and further south along the coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.