Reload this Page >

House lettings Auckland region

House lettings Auckland region

Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

TJA120712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House lettings Auckland region

Hi all
Finally arrived, located in a motel in mt Wellington that could redefine the word "basic"!
Not griping though, it has what we need and we are all overjoyed at the new adventure to unfold.
We need some advice on areas, we have done some research and think Elerslie and Penrose might be ok (or further north)! Anyone got thoughts? Any res. letting agents to recommend?
We need to be close to train/comuting for Middlemore Hospital. Have a rental car for two weeks but then big purchases will be limited while we sell our Uk home.
I know there's plenty on trade me, and we'll set up some views, but any advice is always welcome.
Thanks All
Ian
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:43 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: House lettings Auckland region

hiya, great to hear your finally there.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to NZ Ian. I'm sorry but I don't know that side of Auckland very well, so I'm absolutely no help to you at all

Good luck with rental hunting though.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Mount Wellington, as your eyes have already seen is not the nicest place in Auckland. My sister in law lives on the North Shore, Albany area, off the East Coast Bays Road. The North Shore of Auckland is more expensive than the other districts (ok, if you look carefully you should be ok, depending on your needs). Takapuna is very expensive and is jokingly described as Chelsea on sea ! Parnell is very expensive, it's an old area of town that was gentrified a few years ago now the rents are

South Auckland should be avoided, some refer to it as being similar to South Central L.A. ! My husband's family used to live in Papatoetoe - they can't believe how downhill it's gone.

The west of Auckland is known as the Wild West.

East Auckland - Pakauranga, Highland Park, Farm Cove etc has a very high age demographic but also plenty of nurseries too It's easy enough to get a commuter ferry into central Auckland from Half Moon Bay. However, as Middlemore is in the suburbs that might not suit you.

That just leaves the west of Auckland - don't know much about it, sorry.

You will see loads of Asians around you in Auckland and it seems to me they are not always welcome. This has been known as the Asian invasion. Good luck cringing through the racism.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 16th 2012 at 12:21 am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think that being at Middlemore & travelling from the North Shore is a viable option IMVHO.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Don't think that being at Middlemore & travelling from the North Shore is a viable option IMVHO.
I agree - no train and a long commute. I have friends that have just moved out to Pukekohe, and they love it. There is a train that you could take direct to Middlemore, it is an area that is having a lot of money thrown at it. There are good facilities, Leisure centre, shopping, Cinemas etc. May be worth checking out, you will also find good markets (farmers) and the people are more laid back and friendly than other parts of Auckland. There is good number of expats living there, so hopefully someone will pop by and give you more info. The rent would be cheaper and also there is alot of new houses being built out there, but the countryside is very close by. Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We live in Cockle Bay near Howick. You can get a bus from here or Botany Town Centre (Dannemora) to Middlemore or bus/train at weekends.

The drive to Middlemore isn't too bad, there are some pockets where traffic can be heavy during peak times.

There are loads of amenities in the area - supermarkets, village shops in Howick, Botany Town Centre, ice rink, multiplex cinema (plus a nice small cinema in Howick), bowling alley (due to reopen around Dec/Jan after fire), beaches - Howick Beach, Eastern Beach, Bucklands Beach, Cockle Bay.
Also reserves around plus Barry Curtis Park which is a very large reserve - they hold some events there in the summer, it's great to walk round/cycle too any time of year.

Howick Village has a market on Saturday mornings which is very well attended. Howick has some nice restaurants and a few bars.

The airport is approx 30 mins drive. Manukau City Centre is approx 20 mins drive, again loads more shops.

We bought a house here in Cockle Bay 2 years ago after renting for nearly 2 years rural at Whitford.

The schools are very good here too - Point View Primary, Bucklands Beach Primary, Bucklands Beach Intermediate, Somerville Intermediate, Botany Downs Secondary College, Macleans College, Howick College to name a few or St Kentigern College (private school). Kings College (private school) is next to Middlemore.

Public transport to the city - buses or ferry from Half Moon Bay. Peak times to the city can be a nightmare.

Buses run to Auckland for the Uni(s) and also to Manukau Institute of Technology.

Drive to city is around 35 mins but can be 1 1/2 hours in peak traffic.

Hope the above helps
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

I think Moomoo's area is the way to go. I lived in S.Auckland, don't ever ever live there

Puke isn't S.Auckland and not too bad, but personally if you can't commute too far I'd go for the Howick village area.

Don't get suckered into the commute problems via the bridge. DEPENDING on the time you intend to travel on the bridge, it can be a nightmare, but if you do shift work and don't have to travel in to work with all the other plebs, you can get down to Middlemore easy as!!! (by car).

I now live on the Shore and wouldn't live anywhere else in Auckland. And I was skeptical about the Shore before we moved, and it's won me over.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga61

Puke isn't S.Auckland and not too bad, but personally if you can't commute too far I'd go for the Howick village area.
By Puke do you mean Pukekohe (sp?). They've recently transferred the large exhaust sports car racing track from Hamilton to Pukekohe i.e. they are spending a shed load of money upgrading an existing circuit.

It's nearly an hour's drive from there to the city of Auckland.

My mother in law lives in Pakauranga, we drive past St Kentigern College (known as St. Kent's locally) on the way to her house at Farm Cove.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TJA120712
Hi all
Finally arrived, located in a motel in mt Wellington that could redefine the word "basic"!
Not griping though, it has what we need and we are all overjoyed at the new adventure to unfold.
We need some advice on areas, we have done some research and think Elerslie and Penrose might be ok (or further north)! Anyone got thoughts? Any res. letting agents to recommend?
We need to be close to train/comuting for Middlemore Hospital. Have a rental car for two weeks but then big purchases will be limited while we sell our Uk home.
I know there's plenty on trade me, and we'll set up some views, but any advice is always welcome.
Thanks All
Ian
Ian I worked at Middlemore for 22 years and lived in Pakuranga and Golflands both good commutes.

Moomoo has given you some very good advice.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

stonemason is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,
get out of Mt Wellinton it is total crap, Anywhere in the south Auckland district is awfull! Have a look around Mission bay and ajoining area's. There are some smaller but cheaper places there and around there.
Fantastic area ,good food, good transport, great beachs. A good place to start your adventure .Starting on the right foot.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We're out west for the moment. You could do this way to Middlemore if you go down the 20 motorway. They're supposed to be building a tunnel to make it quicker to get from New Lynn to the 20 but not sure how long that is supposed to take.

I know when I drop off / Pick up my OH form the airport, we can be there form Titirangi in 30 mins. You would absolutely definitely need a car though.

West tends to be cheaper than central and North Shore (which like a PP said I think is not really a viable option to be honest for getting to Middlemore)

Wild West? Really?! Not heard that I have found it to be friendly and down to earth except for a few erm... 'precious Titirangi mums' as the more down-to-earth kiwi mums at school call them

Didn't notice if you had kids - schools round here - there are a few good ones with high rates of achievement and in Decile 10 areas e.g. Titirangi, Woodlands Park (might be a bit too far out though) if that is the kind of thing that floats your boat. Glen Eden Intermediate and Green Bay for older kids, the latter which is er, improving was the last I heard. Not sure about the others e.g. Kelston, Avondale

Anyway, Hth! I think I have muddied the waters sufficiently!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at Takanini region as I know the rents in the East can get quite competitive as the schools are sought after.